New to iPhone/Apple

I guess you figured out swiping from the right when iPhone is locked brings up the camera?
I have an iPhone 2020 SE and didn't know about the camera thing until you posted this. THANKS . Learn something different everyday, well almost :facepalm:

First thing I try, then I do it multiple times, then I have to restart the car [emoji3]

Try unplugging the phone from the cable. I also have facial recognition on the phone so I sometimes have to activate that first.
Not positive it would work, but when my Android Auto doesn't connect properly, rather than totally restarting the car, I can kick it into gear by forcing a restart on my infotainment system (press & hold the power button until restart ... of course each automaker probably does this differently).

**Hold fire, I know this is iPhone land.

This is in regards to setting up my new iPhone 13, but it's probably off-topic.

I transferred the contacts from my old phone (Samsung - Android) to the iPhone. Pretty straightforward, other than wanting to rename some of the contacts since I have more characters to work with. This probably doesn't matter, but I noticed some of the phone numbers have a prefix of "+1", some have just "1", and still others have no prefix, starting off with the area code.

I suspect these all accomplish the same thing, at least since all are US phone numbers and I'm in the US. But the lack of consistency hits my OCD just a touch. In there a preference? Is there importance to the phone number in the contacts if someone is out of the country?

I suspect these all accomplish the same thing, at least since all are US phone numbers and I'm in the US. But the lack of consistency hits my OCD just a touch. In there a preference? Is there importance to the phone number in the contacts if someone is out of the country?
US phone networks assume domestic calling by default, so as long as you're calling a US number from a US number
with both of you physically in the US, the country code (included or not) doesn't matter.

If any of those items (phone numbers or physical locations) are non-US, then you could run into issues if you don't specify the '+1' or other country code.

Last edited:
Whenever something doesn’t seem to be working quite as it should on the iPhone it almost always seems to be resolved with a reboot.

Press the up volume button and then the down volume button in quick succession. Then quickly press and hold the power button - and keep holding it until the Apple logo reappears. Don’t do anything else in between.

Software is complex and a reboot almost always helps. Ask me how I resolve the automatic ice maker in our freezer… every so often it refuses to keep making ice regardless of whatever buttons are pressed. A twenty second toggle of that circuit breaker resolves things.

Software runs the world… and all of it is buggy.

This is in regards to setting up my new iPhone 13, but it's probably off-topic.

I transferred the contacts from my old phone (Samsung - Android) to the iPhone. Pretty straightforward, other than wanting to rename some of the contacts since I have more characters to work with. This probably doesn't matter, but I noticed some of the phone numbers have a prefix of "+1", some have just "1", and still others have no prefix, starting off with the area code.

I’ve had that problem. If you’re traveling outside US the ones without the +1 won’t work. Minor irritation as you figure out the problem straight away.

If your car has Apple Car Play, it’s a joy to plug your phone into it.

I’ve had thoughts of upgrading my car to get Apple CarPlay. It’s a joy to use when I rent a car.

Unfortunately I have problems justifying a car upgrade to get a tech feature. But the next car will definitely have CarPlay.

I’ve had thoughts of upgrading my car to get Apple CarPlay. It’s a joy to use when I rent a car.

Unfortunately I have problems justifying a car upgrade to get a tech feature. But the next car will definitely have CarPlay.
Yeah, I've thought the same thing. But for our 2015 model year vehicle purchased near end of season (August 2015), it's hard to justify selling it/trading it in when it only has 40,000 miles on it and is getting 5-6,000 additional miles per year.

I took out a lease a year ago and the new car does have CarPlay, though you have to plug it in.

Tried it a few times but much prefer listening via my AirPods -- I have AirPod Pro, AirPod Pro 2 and Beats Fit Pro.

That way when I get out of the car, whatever I'm listening to is still playing.

I only use one pod when I drive, not two, since there would be noise cancellation.

Rarely use GPS in my car but when I do, I have a vent mount and the directions come through the pod.

I always use GPS, even for routes that I drive regularly. I want to make sure there isn't traffic before I head out. I only listen to music through the car speakers. The iPhone always remembers where I left off. I often transition from Sonos at home to the car without any issues (using bluetooth in the car).

Our car stereo is too awesome not to use it, but there are also two of us listening in the car so that makes a difference.

The car embedded the Apple Music app, so that’s very sweet. Don’t even need the phone.

I took out a lease a year ago and the new car does have CarPlay, though you have to plug it in.

Tried it a few times but much prefer listening via my AirPods -- I have AirPod Pro, AirPod Pro 2 and Beats Fit Pro.

That way when I get out of the car, whatever I'm listening to is still playing.

I only use one pod when I drive, not two, since there would be noise cancellation.

Rarely use GPS in my car but when I do, I have a vent mount and the directions come through the pod.
CarPlay goes beyond the music and your car becomes your phone…navigation, hands free audio texts, hands free phone, podcasts, etc.

CarPlay goes beyond the music and your car becomes your phone…navigation, hands free audio texts, hands free phone, podcasts, etc.

I get that with AirPods too.

I do have a cheap vent mount which I use on rare occasions I use GPS.

Can a text message be sent from an iPhone to an email address? With our old Samsung phones, all I had to do was type the email address into the "To" field, and the text was sent. Either iPhone (or maybe iMessages) doesn't allow this, or I'm doing something wrong.

I just discovered I can tell the camera to take the picture. Very handy in awkward one handed situations. Too much of a hassle to do on a regular basis, tho'. But then, I should do it regularly so I don't forget all the steps necessary to do so unless there's a simpler way to access shortcuts.

Can a text message be sent from an iPhone to an email address? With our old Samsung phones, all I had to do was type the email address into the "To" field, and the text was sent. Either iPhone (or maybe iMessages) doesn't allow this, or I'm doing something wrong.

Yes, that works on iPhone, but your carrier is the one doing the conversion, so maybe yours doesn't offer that.

Yes, that works on iPhone, but your carrier is the one doing the conversion, so maybe yours doesn't offer that.
Ah, I didn't think about that. We just changed carriers with the new phones a couple of weeks ago. I will check that out. Thanks.

Called SMS to email gateway.

Or vice versa.

Back
Top Bottom