Obsolete Technology

Z3Dreamer

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Want recommendations

1) I have a $400, three year old, out of warranty, NAS, Network Attached Storage, in my house. New owners of company have decided to drop NAS and move in some direction, therefore, firmware updates do the minimum. A number of the features that no longer work do not affect basic functionality. Issues such as slow backups and dropping support for off-site access. Anybody have a great NAS recommendation?

2) Same situation with my out-of-warranty, wrist heart-rate monitor. It has always been a little quirky, but has overall functioned. It always had some issues that they could never fix. Now company is getting out of the heart-rate monitor business and moving into the exercise, fitness software business. Any wrist heart-rate monitor recommendations?

Probably, a better title would have been "things that would not be obsolete if companies supported them."

I'm loving my new Apple Watch. It's a bit pricey, but works well and does much more than just monitor heart rate.

I wear it while using an elliptical machine where I also use a Polar chest strap to tie into the machine's computer. The watch and the elliptical consistently agree with each other +/-1 bpm.

It is so sad tech goes by the way of the DoDo so quickly. I have just purchased a new Laptop with a Xeon processor and I am selling my lowest powered laptop to make room for it. My Lowest is still a Lenovo W510 i7 X920XM 3.2ghz with all SSD storage fully loaded. It will run Windows 10 but I cannot be bothered to update it and left it with Windows 7 Pro x64. The worst part is it cost over $3k when purchased and I just put it on Craigslist for $399 LOL.

I have the samsung gear fit2 and like it. I also have a samsung smart phone, so the phone/watch integration is really good. I think that's an important attribute to take into consideration.

All designed. The engineers are working on Version 10 while Version 9 is hitting the shelves.

I hear the good things about the Synology products. I haven't used one myself though.

I hear the good things about the Synology products. I haven't used one myself though.

I am on my second Synology... both of them have worked great.

I have access to all my files at home though my phon if I need it and has been great for backups.

Want recommendations
Anybody have a great NAS recommendation?

I have been using nas4free for years and have been happy with it.

It is free and open-source so there is no company to go out of business. The main cost will be for the hardware that you dedicate to the server.

-gauss

It is so sad tech goes by the way of the DoDo so quickly. I have just purchased a new Laptop with a Xeon processor and I am selling my lowest powered laptop to make room for it. My Lowest is still as 10 but I cannot be bothered to update it and left it with Windows 7 Pro x64. The worst Lenovo W510 i7 X920XM 3.2ghz with all SSD storage fully loaded. It will run Windowpart is it cost over $3k when purchased and I just put it on Craigslist for $399 LOL.

What are you doing on this that is bogging down:confused: Seems like tons of power, esp. with SSD boot drive. On SSD laptops I find that the internal video gets dated before anything else.

Last edited:
Still rocking an iphone 4, albeit somewhat slowly. I'm sure I'd prefer a modern iphone, but this is why I stay out of the store.

Still rocking 2010 Mac Pro workstations and MacPro laptop of the same vintage. Still using older software, so they are more than fast enough. The OSX is more recent though.

The biggest issue will come when the OS can no longer be updated and, therefore, I'll also be on unsupported web browsers. I'm more concerned about security issues, than computer power, esp. with the Mac Pro workstations w/ SSD's. Still, this won't be an issue for about 3-4 years, I hope.

I love my Apple computers, but I just don't see spending that kind of $$ to update. Plus, I would be a pain getting my old audio and photo software running or retraining on the new stuff. I'd much rather play music and take pictures rather than mess with the computer...

What are you doing on this that is bogging is down:confused: Seems like tons of power, esp. with SSD boot drive. On SSD laptops I find that the internal video gets dated before anything else.

I am doing CAD design for parts for 3D Printers. Still overkill I will admit. I purchased the new one because it has a bigger screen, a Xeon processor (Never had a Xeon before :) ) and an upgraded graphics card. My current design computer is an i7 too, but with a 15" screen (Lenovo P50). The new One is a P71. The old one is a Lenovo W510 (I may have said that).

I like to have 2 computers myself as I dedicate the lesser or "hand me down" one to drive the printers . It is also my main movie & tv series download system (Hence the large disks) . I offered the W510 "hand me down" to my DW but she has an Old Lenovo P60p that she has had forever, and she says between that and her iPad she does not need or want a new one to re-configure.

Still absolutely no justification, other than it is a good end of year 179 deduction for my hobby business.

Last edited:
Maybe I just don't try to get to all the "features" of the Apple watch, but I've been disappointed in it as an exercise tool. I've had a Garmin 610 w heart monitor (and yes, you have to use a chest strap) for 6 years that I use 2-3 times a week and its downloads seem far more consistent and accurate than the watch. The watch is OK for ad hoc when you're out, but for me if I want to track history I'm good with the Garmin. It amazes me that it still works flawlessly after all these years, despite cracks on the face. FWIW it's the first Apple product that I felt wasn't worth the money. I did decide I wanted a watch after all these years and it does work.

Anyone need a copy of OS/2?

Probably, a better title would have been "things that would not be obsolete if companies supported them."

Be happy.
It could have been your $4000 [Korean brand] refrigerator.
Or, your $2000 [Korean, Japanese, Chinese] TV.

You buy something and expect it will last 10+ years.
No manufacturer intends to provide software updates for more than 1.5 weeks.
How do they make money giving you free updates for 10 years?

Be smart. Buy dumb [appliances].

WE just were pulled screaming and kicking into the 24st century. We bought 2 Alcatel smart phones from Tracfone for $100 each.
They do everything we need and then some. I sort of feel sorry for those who think they need the latest and greatest 1K iPhone or whatever.
Our PC's are refurbished Dells that we paid about $150 each for.

I bought a Buffalo NAS as part of our home entertainment equipment several years ago. It served up music through our receiver. Now I do the same thing better for a lot less money using Appletv. I still use the NAS for file storage, but its too slow. I don't understand NAS's, but if they are all like mine, Nas's should be obsolete shortly.

I bought a Buffalo NAS as part of our home entertainment equipment several years ago. It served up music through our receiver. Now I do the same thing better for a lot less money using Appletv. I still use the NAS for file storage, but its too slow. I don't understand NAS's, but if they are all like mine, Nas's should be obsolete shortly.

Actually a nas does the same thing that a computer runing linux or windows does in exporting files that can be accessed on other computers. For example if you windows only machines you could put a set of large disks on one and share the folders out. Then anyother windows machine could mount them. All a NAS does is to preconfigure the system so you don't have to do as much to set up the sharing. Many NASes actually run Linux under the covers and use the same software to export files to windows that desktop and server linux boxes do (but many of the decisions have been made for you and the OS is hidded away). If mostly a windows houshold rather than a NAS get an Intel NUC and have windows installed, create a home group and you are pretty much in business. (plus you can actually do things on the console, and the security mechanisms are much more easy to understand.

Actually a nas does the same thing that a computer runing linux or windows does in exporting files that can be accessed on other computers. For example if you windows only machines you could put a set of large disks on one and share the folders out. Then anyother windows machine could mount them. All a NAS does is to preconfigure the system so you don't have to do as much to set up the sharing. Many NASes actually run Linux under the covers and use the same software to export files to windows that desktop and server linux boxes do (but many of the decisions have been made for you and the OS is hidded away). If mostly a windows houshold rather than a NAS get an Intel NUC and have windows installed, create a home group and you are pretty much in business. (plus you can actually do things on the console, and the security mechanisms are much more easy to understand.

Thanks. So if I understand you correctly, a NAS is kind of like a shared external drive?

I am doing CAD design for parts for 3D Printers. Still overkill I will admit. I purchased the new one because it has a bigger screen, a Xeon processor (Never had a Xeon before :) ) and an upgraded graphics card. My current design computer is an i7 too, but with a 15" screen (Lenovo P50). The new One is a P71. The old one is a Lenovo W510 (I may have said that).

Still absolutely no justification, other than it is a good end of year 179 deduction for my hobby business.

Flashbacks from a former life! :cool:

Ran CAD on 15" i7 laptop. Worked well with the internal SSD, despite limited RAM. It was hard to w*rk on the laptop screen itself when I was on the road. Much nicer to use the dual (cheap) 22" monitors in the office. Actually, I looked forward to a day of design in front of the screens with my headphones on and the music cranked. I FIRE'd because "they" wouldn't let me do this most of the day. Kept getting dragged into BS...

At home my standard rig is a 30" Apple monitor with an old MacPro (Xeon!) box. Heaven!!

DW is talking about a hobby job, something ebay-ish. Maybe if it gets serious, I can have an excuse to write off some fancy hardware...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom