OneDrive -- make it stop!

it once again turned on sync after Microsoft force-restarted my laptop.

I hate, HATE, when they override my changes during an update. I also agree with the auto sync feature being a pain in the butt. iTunes/Apple does the same thing. It may be easier to shut off, but it is the default. It would be nice if they ask before they assume they know what's best for me.

If you read Fred Langa's lengthy reply, you'll see why there isn't any simple way to unsync OneDrive. But you can control it, if you follow his instructions. Can you read that thread with the free newsletter? I didn't check for that. If not, sign up for $5, once a year, for the Plus version. It's been so valuable to me, that I send them $100!

ok, this is really simple. I have Windows 11 so it might be a little different for 10.
right click on the cloud in the lower right (should say OneDrive). click on settings.
click on the backup tab.
make sure there are no boxes checked - Photos and Videos and Screenshots
click "manage backup"
Click "stop backup" all all the ones you don't want.

I feel your pain

Although a bit drastic you could move to libre office which is comparable to office and free. (you might try looking at spread sheets to see if they still work. on the calc option you would need to choose office compatability)

I just got an Asus Windows 11 PC. Between the Asus installed junk and Microsoft just assuming I want OneDrive and Teams and all that... unhappy with that... But the PC is VERY quiet so I got that going for me.

Anyway... I have been trying "Free Office 2021" and using I-drive for a backup. So far so good. Hoping to stop paying for Microsoft Office at $99 a year.

I would just uninstall OneDrive and use Idrive instead. I like to store only what I choose to up in that cloud.

Take the drastic approach… switch to a Mac. It comes free with Pages and numbers and can save to your cloud account if you wish or not or just the files you want. At first going from PC to Apple was hard but so glad I did. You couldn’t pay me to go back. Was actually offered a short time one off job on a project for a lot of money but they insisted I had to work on a company PC. Said no, life is too short and I don’t do aggravation anymore..

I just got an Asus Windows 11 PC. Between the Asus installed junk and Microsoft just assuming I want OneDrive and Teams and all that... unhappy with that... But the PC is VERY quiet so I got that going for me.

Anyway... I have been trying "Free Office 2021" and using I-drive for a backup. So far so good. Hoping to stop paying for Microsoft Office at $99 a year.

I would just uninstall OneDrive and use Idrive instead. I like to store only what I choose to up in that cloud.

I have a suggestion that may be too late for you.

When you get a new Wintel PC, the first thing to do is reinstall Windows. Anyone can do it, you just get the bootable from the Msoft site.

Install in "advanced" mode (don't take the defaults) and say "no" to all their privacy stuff. Then when it comes up, unlink Onedrive.

Then move on from there.

I have a suggestion that may be too late for you. This helps clear the junkware.

When you get a new Wintel PC, the first thing to do is reinstall Windows. Anyone can do it, you just get the bootable from the Msoft site.

Install in "advanced" mode (don't take the defaults) and say "no" to all their privacy stuff. Then when it comes up, unlink Onedrive.

Then move on from there.

Back
Top Bottom