MS One Drive questions

donheff

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
The Office thread caused me to look at my One Drive and now I have questions. I posted in the MS community forum but no one has responded.

I recently reinstalled Windows after I made a dumb mistake and corrupted some files. My One Drive came back intact and all my files quickly downloaded to the proper locations on my C drive. Now, everything works as always except for the One Drive App. It doesn't appear to exist on my PC. There is a One Drive icon in my task bar but instead of bringing up the app, it is a shortcut to a file explorer window. Same with typing One Drive in the start bar - it says One Drive app but just takes me to an explorer window. Online guidance indicates that they should point to an app that lets me tweak my One Drive settings.

I found a couple of executables. In windows>program Files>One Drive I see onedrive.exe and in >Update I see onedrivesetup.exe. I clicked away and neither of these executables appeared to do anything. I also note that add/remove programs shows a 275MB One Drive program that can be uninstalled. I also found an MS site where a Windows OneDrive desktop app can be downloaded.

My questions to those who might know is: should I download and install the app and see what happens? Uninstall One Drive and then download and install the app? I would not like to accidentally blow my cloud files away.

The Office thread caused me to look at my One Drive and now I have questions. I posted in the MS community forum but no one has responded.

I recently reinstalled Windows after I made a dumb mistake and corrupted some files. My One Drive came back intact and all my files quickly downloaded to the proper locations on my C drive. Now, everything works as always except for the One Drive App. It doesn't appear to exist on my PC. There is a One Drive icon in my task bar but instead of bringing up the app, it is a shortcut to a file explorer window. Same with typing One Drive in the start bar - it says One Drive app but just takes me to an explorer window. Online guidance indicates that they should point to an app that lets me tweak my One Drive settings.

I found a couple of executables. In windows>program Files>One Drive I see onedrive.exe and in >Update I see onedrivesetup.exe. I clicked away and neither of these executables appeared to do anything. I also note that add/remove programs shows a 275MB One Drive program that can be uninstalled. I also found an MS site where a Windows OneDrive desktop app can be downloaded.

My questions to those who might know is: should I download and install the app and see what happens? Uninstall One Drive and then download and install the app? I would not like to accidentally blow my cloud files away.

1. Make sure all your Onedrive files are downloaded. Assuming Onedrive is actually running, you can right click on the OneDrive folder and select "Always keep on device".
2. Make a backup of your OneDrive folders (just in case things somehow get lost)
3. Remove the app
4. Download and install the app, and reset up your account.

Back
Top Bottom