Online Alternatives to Mainstream Media (News/Discussion/Debate)

My advice to all, regardless of your political persuasion, is to go to the original source. Don't accept any new's channel's characterization of what a law says, what a court has held or what a scientific study has found. Go read that law or that opinion or that study for yourself and draw your own conclusions. In the age of the internet, that is easier to do than ever. I think it will make you a more informed person.

+1

My advice to all, regardless of your political persuasion, is to go to the original source. Don't accept any news channel's characterization of what a law says, what a court has held or what a scientific study has found. Go read that law or that opinion or that study for yourself and draw your own conclusions. In the age of the internet, that is easier to do than ever. I think it will make you a more informed person.

Agree 100%. It is shocking to me to read a news story, then within literally 30-60 SECONDS of web search discovering from reliable source materials that key 'facts' about the story are either missing or grossly in error. The kind of errors that my current events teacher in high school would have failed students for. The state of American journalism is sad, but seems to reflect a public too lazy to demand verifiable FACTS over a slick 'narrative'.

OP here...
I think there was a previous post (although I can't find it now) about a news broadcast that will be starting on September 1.

I think it's WGN NewsNation or America's NewsNation. Google it and I think it will be 'broadcast on the internet.

The Rising on youtube. It's under The Hill's channel. It's 2 hosts one left leaning and one right leaning. They are smart, think through the issues, and don't have a corporate bias. It's the best I have found.

I listen to conservative talk radio (internet) to find out most news. I use email feeds also. Sometimes they link me to Youtube or Twitter (if I want to see video.)

I hope I can say what I'm about to say without it being considered too political.

In my opinion, these days it is nearly impossible to find news websites that aren't biased in some way. Even sites that claim to be objective are often criticized by one side as being biased toward the other side. Also, sometimes it's not even a question of what they say on the website, but what they *don't* say; they may report on some news stories which tilt discussion towards one side of the spectrum, while not mentioning stories which could tilt discussion towards the other direction.

If you really want to try to be objective, then instead of trying to find one all-encompassing site, purposefully listen to both sides and then decide for yourself. Do web searches for "top conservative websites" and "top liberal websites". I won't give specific examples for fear that this post itself may become too biasedl; but it's not hard to find some of the top websites on both sides. Then read a bit from both sides of the spectrum.

Al Jazeera if they are not reporting on the Middle East. I've been surprised at how many conservatives use them.

I like Newsy https://www.newsy.com/ The are well sourced and impartial. I don't think I've ever seen an opinion piece on it. Because of the youth of the reporters, it seems like the 'news for millenials' to me. Quite refreshing, IMO.

+1 for Newsy. Short, to the point and no talking heads. You won't get breaking news, just a synopsis of the major headlines.

I use PBS Newshour for in depth reporting.

Thought it was pretty funny that just down the page from the warning about not making this a political thread and the inappropriatness of discussing politics on this site I get a political ad showing Joe Biden in his pajamas yawning and stretching in bed.

We don't control the ads.

Just saw the inaugural broadcast of NewsNation on WGN. Their stated purpose is to deliver news without opinion. So far, looks pretty good.

In my opinion, these days it is nearly impossible to find news websites that aren't biased in some way. Even sites that claim to be objective are often criticized by one side as being biased toward the other side.

Exactly. "How dare you tell the truth about MY candidate!" seems to be the rallying cry from the hard-core partisans. Anyone who isn't a mindless follower of "my team" is obviously working for "the enemy."

Too many people live in an echo chamber where they only hear one side of the story. I have found that, whichever side of the spectrum you're on, there are people who say things you agree with on the other side. Listen!

Also, sometimes it's not even a question of what they say on the website, but what they *don't* say

I think this is actually the biggest reason some people have distorted views. The news outlets which support "their team" never report anything negative those politicians say or do. I find it amazing how I can quote someone's own party leader, and they'd never heard it.

If you really want to try to be objective, then instead of trying to find one all-encompassing site, purposefully listen to both sides and then decide for yourself.

Unfortunately, this goes against human nature. People want easy answers. They want to be part of a clan. They don't want to think for themselves.

My advice to all, regardless of your political persuasion, is to go to the original source. Don't accept any news channel's characterization of what a law says, what a court has held or what a scientific study has found. Go read that law or that opinion or that study for yourself and draw your own conclusions. In the age of the internet, that is easier to do than ever. I think it will make you a more informed person.

Absolutely. If everyone followed that advice, it would be a far better world. I've suggested it before, and it bears repeating. And it is often very easy to find the source material (CSPAN is one, I like their posts to youtube better than at their site, the youtube interface works better for me).

If more people went to the source, I think they would be shocked at how biased the media outlets are. IMO, the media is 1000x more responsible for the divisiveness in this country than either political party. I honestly think some of the media should be charged with "inciting to riot". A free press is important, but every freedom comes with responsibility, and the media is dangerously irresponsible.

And it isn't just reporting with bias, it is what they chose not to report as well. I could give an example that isn't even directly political, but still might not be acceptable to mods, so I'll leave it at that.

Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
OP here...
I think there was a previous post (although I can't find it now) about a news broadcast that will be starting on September 1.
I think it's WGN NewsNation or America's NewsNation. Google it and I think it will be 'broadcast on the internet.

Here it is. Supposedly just the news, with no opinion/bias. We will see, but it doesn't appear so easy for us cord-cutters to get? On-line is free for a limited time I think.

https://www.newsnationnow.com/news-nation-live/

-ERD50

Very good point. I think most of us could find an area that we are well versed in (or an expert) and have seen a news story in that area and have wanted to throw stuff at the TV for being factually wrong or impossible. Aviation is my area and it's painful to see the media report on accidents/mishaps/etc.

Legal proceedings are another area that I see reported either inaccurately or without the "entire story" (sound bites are king these days). The biggest issue with important judicial decisions is that they can be hard to read and to separate the wheat from the chaff. The fact is that many judges are quite educated and they like to be prolific writers and bloviate endlessly and that makes it even HARDER for folks to comprehend exactly what the end ruling is. Add in the fact how the federal appellate courts works (how its rulings may not apply to an area of law where YOU live) makes it even more confusing for the average lay person.

Nonetheless, if it's something that could really affect YOUR LIFE, it's worth the time finding the actual source and get the real/entire story.

Last edited:
I stopped watching US news because it always seemed slanted with bias. I have started watching RT News on the internet. It seems a little bit more of world news with the US thrown in for good measure.

I stopped watching US news because it always seemed slanted with bias. I have started watching RT News on the internet. It seems a little bit more of world news with the US thrown in for good measure.
Yea, I can't imagine a more unbiased source of news than Russian Television.

You must be joking....The last place I want to get my unbiased news from for sure.

I usually read BBC and the Economist.

Last edited:
You must be joking....The last place I want to get my unbiased news from for sure.

The secret at RT is they don't want to sound biased. That's why they don't come off like FOX or MSNBC et al. Those outlets, while denying bias, want you to know where they're coming from. RT is a well run piece of intelligence gear. They seem so "regular". So unbiased. So, Not-the-Other-guys. But they're surreptitiously wheedling, or trying to, into the larger public dialog while leaving no fingerprints. And last I saw them, they had Larry King!

I like BBC, PBS, and Global Public Square (Fareed Zakaria).
Then I scan some others to understand the biases that are out there, and/or what stories are completely missing for that audience.

Then I scan some others to understand the biases that are out there, and/or what stories are completely missing for that audience.

Yes! Any time there's a juicy story which makes "their team" look bad, the biased outlets are silent. They may eventually bring it up, once they see how much traction it has. But that is usually only to spin it, or promote the official party excuse/justification.

I believe that the main news outlets, particularly the big networks, simply plan their news cast for ratings. So if a lot of people tune in they are doing it right. Ratings drop, they make changes. It's not really a public service type thing, it's big business so what sells gets shown, what doesn't gets buried. At least IMHO.

I believe that the main news outlets, particularly the big networks, simply plan their news cast for ratings. So if a lot of people tune in they are doing it right. Ratings drop, they make changes. It's not really a public service type thing, it's big business so what sells gets shown, what doesn't gets buried. At least IMHO.

Yep.

It is more than ratings, too. It is "subscribers." In cutting the cord, I've managed to get myself off the subscriber list, and I'm happy for it. I currently subscribe to Philo, which has no news or sports. But I still get some interesting live TV.

I've given up looking for unbiased news. Not sure it still exists.

I do read www.justthenews.com. I'm not suggesting there's no bias at the site, but what I like about it is the standard feature that with every article they feature a "Dig In" tab, which contains the data and stories they relied upon in writing their piece. So you easily get to track back to sources.

We watch the local freeway chases on local CBS, NBC, or ABC stations sometimes but for news we watch PBS. We do watch 60 minutes on CBS and Frontline on PBS also.

Back
Top Bottom