Poll: What’s your internet download speed?

What is your internet download speed

• less than 10 mbps

Votes: 28 17.4%
  • 11-25 mbps

Votes: 24 14.9%
  • 26-60 mbps

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • 61-100 mbps

Votes: 36 22.4%
  • 101-250 mbps

Votes: 30 18.6%
  • 251-500 mpbs

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • 501-1000 mbps

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • over 1000 mbps

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
A whopping 3.58 mbps. I have a very basic internet connection from Comcast. OTA otherwise :).

This thread just motivated me to test my speed then check with my provider for specials. Yay! For the same price I can upgrade to 100 mps (from 15) for the same price. I scheduled it for a couple weeks from now

#winning

Hmmm... what are you people doing over the internet that requires over a 100 mbps?

My son upgraded his to 100 mbps for online gaming. He says it works great. It would be overkill for me but I'd still probably take it. When I was working from home I'd have taken everything I could get.

I've got the same plan- just tested on my laptop, a few rooms away form the router, it's 128 mbps. A bit off from the advertised "Up to 1,000"!

All you've done there is test your router - home WiFi speeds have almost nothing to do with ISP download speeds. 128 over WiFi from a few rooms away is very good.

I pay for 100 through the local cable company. When I first got it I measured about 116 on my laptop over 5Ghz wifi.

My son, a gamer, has a wired connection to the modem+router. Most important for him is ping latency consistency so when he leads a head shot he can lead it the right amount consistently and have high kill rate percentages. Ping to the local speed test server is 25ms. In-game ping to the game server is 52ms and quite stable.

Over wifi, he got fast enough speeds but the ping was unreliable; we guessed/assumed this was due to lost packets. Having 5GHz Wifi helps a lot too; all of my neighbors, last I checked, were on 2.4GHz.

For this kid, it matters; he was #1 in the world on two heroes in Overwatch recently, and was overall 86th in the world, in a game that has 25M+ players. He goes into great detail and care about his monitor, mouse, keyboard, mousepad, chair, system, etc.

Part of the reason I'm asking, XFinity just "upgraded" our speed like all customers*, and so far performance has been noticeably worse. When I speed test** I am indeed getting the new nominal speed, but sites take longer to load, and there is definitely more buffering and low-res when we stream now. We've even had 2-3 complete outages for up to 12 hours since the "upgrade," but our CSR tells us the outages are infrastructure, unrelated to the upgrade. It's only been a month or so, we'll wait and see, but so far not so good.

Yes, I've rebooted our modem and router several times.

*If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

**I'm am a little leery of online speed tests, I assume the ISP recognizes speed tests and performs accordingly just for the test?

We pay for 10 download and 2.5 upload.
The speed test shows: 11.5 download and 3.7 upload .

We just switched from Wow to Comcast, and I have also noticed there is a large delay before web page comes up, as if it's taking a long time to get the connection, but once connected the speed is fine.

I am very suspicious of speed tests by the company I'm subscribed with. One could use a VPN, then they have no idea who you are connecting to, but the VPN itself would introduce a delay factor.

Surprised, but I actually can watch movies. without buffering, streaming with my Amazon FireTV device :D.

A couple of years ago I had an economy package with Comcast and it was about 3 mpbs. Handled my situation fine. When I moved Comcast automatically 'upgraded' me to 25 for a year. Then the price went up. I tried to go back to 3 but they said it was no longer available. So I went to 10 and got a decent price. Just last month I got an email telling me they upgraded me to 25 at no extra cost. But my old promo plan runs out in April so I'm sure I will see another rake hike. I'm betting they will tell me I can't go back to 10 and 25 is the minimum now. I can't tell any difference in performance between 3 and 25.

A couple of years ago I had an economy package with Comcast and it was about 3 mpbs. Handled my situation fine. When I moved Comcast automatically 'upgraded' me to 25 for a year. Then the price went up. I tried to go back to 3 but they said it was no longer available. So I went to 10 and got a decent price. Just last month I got an email telling me they upgraded me to 25 at no extra cost. But my old promo plan runs out in April so I'm sure I will see another rake hike. I'm betting they will tell me I can't go back to 10 and 25 is the minimum now. I can't tell any difference in performance between 3 and 25.

One reason why I'm just sticking with the basic plan. Don't want that discontinued on me. Plus, don't think this plan will suffer from price creep like other packaged plans.

I often get letters from Comcast begging me to upgrade or from AT&T begging me to switch over their internet and TV, but I'm good with my OTA and basic internet :).

I am on an old Cox Cable mid level plan that is no longer offered, their "Preferred" plan. It is supposed to give me 50Mbps for $79.99.

They have recently substituted their "Preferred 100" plan, which is suppose to provide 100 Mbps for $84.99 but I am grandfathered into the "Preferred" plan.

F streams much more than I do, and recently upgraded to the "Preferred 100" plan. His streaming is greatly improved and buffering time seems to have vanished. Oddly, when he does speed tests they are abominable but he is getting better performance despite that.

I prefer saving the $5/month since I always get speeds at least as good as shown below and that is all I need (I don't stream TV more than an hour a month, and do not do online gaming). Right now my main gripe with Cox is not the speed, but their outages and high fees.

Twenty years ago I had my own T1 connection at work at the university. That was pretty cool for the time, I must admit. If Google fiber ever comes here, I would sign up right away. But there are no plans for that any time soon.

Here is my speed test with Cox Preferred:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
One reason why I'm just sticking with the basic plan. Don't want that discontinued on me. Plus, don't think this plan will suffer from price creep like other packaged plans.

I often get letters from Comcast begging me to upgrade or from AT&T begging me to switch over their internet and TV, but I'm good with my OTA and basic internet :).

When I moved I initiated a transfer of service to the new location. Comcast bumped it on their own w/o asking. They gave me the old rate for a year and that is when I found out about the upgrade. I guess they had a reason for the 'free' upgrade. No going back at that point.

Part of the reason I'm asking, XFinity just "upgraded" our speed like all customers*, and so far performance has been noticeably worse. When I speed test** I am indeed getting the new nominal speed, but sites take longer to load, and there is definitely more buffering and low-res when we stream now. We've even had 2-3 complete outages for up to 12 hours since the "upgrade," but our CSR tells us the outages are infrastructure, unrelated to the upgrade. It's only been a month or so, we'll wait and see, but so far not so good.

Yes, I've rebooted our modem and router several times.

*If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

**I'm am a little leery of online speed tests, I assume the ISP recognizes speed tests and performs accordingly just for the test?

I'm also an Xfinity customer and got the same notice. My speed before and after was 50mbs plus or minus. The 250 and higher service they say I'm paying for is for the 5ghz wifi only, not the 2.5ghz just about everything I own has for wifi. I suspect the increase we were touted was for the 5ghz or the ethernet, not the 2.5ghz wifi. I do have a TV that has 5ghz, but I honestly can not tell the difference in speed, nor can I measure it as there isn't any speed test app on the TV.

I once called to complain I was not getting the speed service I was paying for. They sent a guy out and he's the one who told me the quoted speed was for 5ghz, not the 2.5 and that my laptop was too old and didn't have the type of wifi to utilize 5ghz. He did give me a newer router though at no cost and there was no charge for his visit.

Last edited:
I'm on spectrum/time warner. They are very clever in their marketing and tout "up to 50mbps downstream".

That's about what we get when the kids aren't home. When they're both online gaming if I run a speedtest it drops to about 20mbps.

We get about 20Mb up.

In theory they are going to run fiber to the home sometime in the semi-near future. I'm not holding my breathe... We still have cable trunks strung from telephone poles. The utility company was also supposed to underground utilities "soon". Last estimate on the utility underground had the project completed 3 years ago... They seem to have decided to skip our neighborhood.

Google fiber recently deployed webpass in San Diego - but it's only for buildings with 10 or more units. (We're technically a multifamily with our granny flat - but that makes us 2 units). Since they deployed this - I'm not optimistic they'll roll out google fiber to single family neighborhoods.

For the past 5 years I had 15Mbps with Verizon DSL. When I requested an upgrade to my phone service, they noticed the 15 and said that the fastest speed they now offer is 3Mbps and downgraded the service. I was livid. So in December I chose the current "lesser of two evil empires" and switched phone and internet to Spectrum cable. Initially the service was 60Mbps but has been recently upgraded to advertised 100Mbps. Chose 60-100 though the last test came out 101.

50 mbps Performance Internet from Comcast/Xfinity. $69.95/month less service discount of $39.96 for a net of $29.99/month.

When we signed up in October it was 25 mbps but was recently upgraded to 50 mbps... sometimes when I test it it is more like 65 mbps. There is one test in the history that was 79 mbps.

Google Fiber. I could have selected "gigabit" or "100/100". I figured even the latter was overkill for us, so picked that, even though gigabit was not too much more. I pay $50/mo. I'm not getting the promised speed:

Attachments

• speed.jpg
    speed.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 98
I'm on spectrum/time warner. They are very clever in their marketing and tout "up to 50mbps downstream".

That's about what we get when the kids aren't home. When they're both online gaming if I run a speedtest it drops to about 20mbps.

Speed tests are intended to be run with very little traffic, because you share the bandwidth with everything else. You probably still are getting around 50mps when the boys are gaming. They are taking 30, you are getting the remaining 20. If you watch the meter while doing the test, it is probably choppy as sometimes they are using more.

My service advertised "up to 10" and I'm happy enough to get over 9.

I pay for 25, but voted in the 30ish range...

But, my speed is usually above 60 and right now over 70....

Congratulations. You won the prize for the slowest Internet speed:LOL:

I think I just snatched the prize from easysurfer. My connection tested at 1.27Mbps download and 2.76Mbps upload. Netflix, YouTube, and Hulu stream flawlessly here, though the picture quality isn't the best. That's OK, because it's all about the narrative anyway :LOL:

I think I just snatched the prize from easysurfer. My connection tested at 1.27Mbps download and 2.76Mbps upload. Netflix, YouTube, and Hulu stream flawlessly here, though the picture quality isn't the best. That's OK, because it's all about the narrative anyway :LOL:

With those numbers, you got me beat by about twice as slow :LOL:.

Right, we had netflix when we were on DSL at 1.2 download, and it worked.
However to get HD quality you need 5 download or higher speed.
We did notice an improvement in Netflix quality and zero buffering once we changed to a fast speed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom