Recommendation for underwater camera?

Tailgate

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Would appreciate thoughts on an inexpensive underwater camera. Week in the Bahamas on a 58ft catamaran coming up in a couple of weeks. Life is pretty, pretty good!

I have the Canon Tough. I bought it after my Mexico cruise- all of the guides and many of the passengers had the same one. I used it last November in Hawaii. I have a LOT to learn about taking pictures underwater (my first ones were blue blurs) but it truly was waterproof and the guides, as usual, got beautiful pictures. All of us were snorkeling so not great depths/pressure but I'm happy with it. I'm looking forward to more practice!

I assume your smartphone won’t shoot underwater, the newer ones will for 30 minutes but only 1-3 meters under depending on brand/model. There are also waterproof bags you can put any smartphone in to shoot underwater, also presumably not too deep - though here’s one good to 50 ft. https://www.amazon.com/Willbox-Prof...erwater+smartphone+case&qid=1580503366&sr=8-1

I’ve used a GoPro for underwater shots, but a new one probably doesn’t qualify as inexpensive. However an older or a used one can be had for MUCH less. I have several friends with GoPro’s - you might be able to borrow one if you don’t want to buy at all! Have a fun trip.

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:
I've wondered about this. Are underwater cameras generally considered a better option than those clear plastic enclosures they make? I know the enclosures have to be specific to the camera in order to have the button access in the right place, so are they as expensive (and, of course, bulkier) than cheap underwater cameras?

Now that I'm typing it out, I'm thinking that the enclosures are maybe only worth it if you have a very good camera and want professional-quality pictures. Is that generally accurate?

I guess I'm just not very fussy about it, so I think you can do well enough without anything fancy. These were from a simple point&shoot in a ziplock bag:

IMG_4024.jpg

IMG_4036 - Version 2.jpg

IMG_4082 - Version 2.jpg

Just got back from a few days in Grand Cayman. Before the trip, I had just gone through the same decision making process. On the advice of a friend of mine who is an underwater photographer, I bought a Olympus TG-5. It's good to 50 ft and has many options. They don't come out of any camera like this. You really need Lightroom or some other editing software because being underwater throws the colors and contrasts way out of wack.

Attachments

• 83801123_2890490137656278_8246369777057005568_n.jpg
    83801123_2890490137656278_8246369777057005568_n.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 16
I guess I'm just not very fussy about it, so I think you can do well enough without anything fancy. These were from a simple point&shoot in a ziplock bag:

Nice photos.
Was that a REAL ziplock bag from the grocery store, or one of those $10 special underwater plastic bags ?

Nice Sea Turtle, my animal spirit. My casa is Dancing Turtle, has a little Grateful Dead twist to it. David

I’d recommend a GoPro 7 or 8 with SuperSuit housing.

I replaced a very old Olympus waterproof camera (still working but age worried me) with the TG-5 model. It has worked great for the past year. I would recommend the Olympus cameras based on my experience with them.

Nice photos.
Was that a REAL ziplock bag from the grocery store, or one of those $10 special underwater plastic bags ?

The genuine article. Double zip closure, but just your standard food bag.

I just went through this trying to decide on what camera to buy for an upcoming Grand Canyon rafting trip. I bought the new camera to replace my old Cannon G11 which is feeling its age and is not a good for water. I wanted a lightweight point ans shoot that I can hang over my neck on bike rides as well as carry on a raft and snorkeling. Preferably it would also have an optical or electronic viewfinder since the screen on the camera backs are lousy in bright light. My Cannon has a viewfinder that I use all the time.

The only camera I found that met the bill was a Panasonic Lumix. I ordered one but was totally dissatisfied with the resolution zoomed. I compared several shots with the same shots with my Cannon and the results were night and day. I returned the Lumix and got the highly rated Olympus TG6 (which, unfortunately, does not have an EVF). It performed flawlessly in the head to head against my old camera so I kept it. I took the Olympus on a spur of the moment snorkeling trip last week and it preformed well underwater. It's lightweight so I will be able to hang it on my neck biking but I will sorely miss the viewfinder.

On the snorkeling tour I saw a lady with an underwater case for her iPhone. She was very happy with it.

Last edited:
On the snorkeling tour I saw a lady with an underwater case for her iPhone. She was very happy with it.

On our last snorkeling trip there were many people using their iPhones with a wide variety of plastic bag type underwater enclosures. There were also a wide variety of degrees of satisfaction with them. Some were just about impossible to use because the plastic prevented easy use of the touchscreen features, while others were apparently easy to use. So if you go that route, be sure you have something reliable (test it in the sink before you go).

On our last snorkeling trip there were many people using their iPhones with a wide variety of plastic bag type underwater enclosures. There were also a wide variety of degrees of satisfaction with them. Some were just about impossible to use because the plastic prevented easy use of the touchscreen features, while others were apparently easy to use. So if you go that route, be sure you have something reliable (test it in the sink before you go).
I ruined a phone in a bag a few years ago. The seal failed or the user erred; I was never sure which.

inexpensive underwater camera

You can get one of those "action cameras" that come with a waterproof case or are already waterproof. Walmart has them for about $25. They come with mounts, so you could also attach them somewhere on the boat and get some navigational videos too.

Of course I'd test them out in a bucket of water before the trip first though.

The best I recommend you is GoPro camera. The best outdoor camera I have used so far.

The best I recommend you is GoPro camera. The best outdoor camera I have used so far.
+1. I've seem many underwater photos from the Olympus TG6 and similary small sensor cameras, and I'd much prefer a GoPro with red filter. I shoot housed DSLR, used to run an underwater photo club, and have attended several dive/shoot/learn events hosted by Backscatter, so I have experience with housed, non-housed, Go-Pros, DSLRs, and compact cameras underwater. Everything except Sea Life, and their advertising photos don't impress.

Cheap and good aren't compatible when it comes to taking underwater photos. GoPro is a good beginning compromise, espcially when used with a red filter!

I use a GoPro 3 Silver with waterproof case. Have taken hours of diving and snorkeling video to 115ft deep. Quality is impressive. I’ve looked at upgrading, but biggest difference is stabilization which isn’t big deal underwater. Going to try red lens filter on upcoming trip to Turks and Caicos.

Back
Top Bottom