Recommendations for a New AV Receiver

I have a Yamaha receiver and like it but there is one issue with it that I haven't figured out how to resolve. I have all the HDMI outputs from various devices connected to the receiver then connect the HDMI OUT (ARC) on the receiver to the HDMI Input (ARC) on the TV. This setup automatically turns the receiver on/off when the TV is turned on/off and only requires one HDMI cable to the TV. That part works but for some reason when the receiver initially turns on the source selected switches to a default AV source instead of HDMI, I then have to use the receiver remote control to select the source, after that it works fine. My goal is to just use one remote (DirecTV) to control everything, almost there but not quite. Other than that the sound (5.1 Infinity speakers) is excellent, much better than the soundbar I had connected. I contacted Yamaha and they claim the problem is with the way the TV (LG) uses ARC, it sends an extra signal to the receiver. Looking at some of the AV forums online seems to confirm this, sounds like it's not limited to Yamaha or LG either. May not be an issue for the OP with the universal remote, I may need to look into one.

zinger1457, maybe you should consider switching to a Harmony remote. That should solve your problem. They are awesome.

zinger1457, maybe you should consider switching to a Harmony remote. That should solve your problem. They are awesome.

Seconded. You can always add an input switch command to the end of your program. I've been using Harmony remotes since way before Logitech bought them, and they're so useful. My BIL and I got one for my MIL as a joint gift, and she loves hers (after I programmed it).

Maybe you should consider switching to a Harmony remote. That should solve your problem. They are awesome.

No problems with the URC remote at all. Personally I prefer the MX-880 even though it is older to any other RF whole house remote I have tried. And for ~$20 each used, they cannot be beat. You do need the programming software though, which I have had for years, so no issues at all.

Five years ago I bought a couple of Yamaha RX-V373 5.1 AVRs from Amazon ... refurbs. Have worked fine and were cheap.

Pretty simple setup: Yamaha AVR, smart TV, tiny Bluetooth receiver that plugs into the AVR for audio from iTunes, AppleTV that plugs into the TV (and the router), SiliconDust broadcast TV receiver that plugs into the router.

The magic is the universal remote that is programmable ... cheap Logitech Harmony 650 remote. Single control does everything except Yamaha audio settings.

We gave up on multiple OS and adopted an all Apple ecosystem ... hated doing it, but just way simpler for us.

So no one has experience with a Denon AVR X3300W? Also when buying used how does one check that the device is 100% functional?

Why is the TV so small?

LOL

1) 55" is large enough for the room.

2) I cut the hole and trimmed it for that size at the time. It is designed that if one does not want the TV there, it can be replaced with a Picture, Mirror or other center piece and still be flush with the wall.

3) If I were to replace the TV, the max size without looking really silly is 65". I would need to make the hole bigger and trim it accordingly. When the current TV gives up the ghost, I will probably replace it with a 65".

But in reality, we will probably sell the house with it. We need to downsize, so spending more in a new TV is not prudent. The Complete AV system will most likely stay with the house.

Last edited:
So no one has experience with a Denon AVR X3300W? Also when buying used how does one check that the device is 100% functional?

I have a Denon S910W that cost $300 refurbished (which is not exactly used, but more likely returned or otherwise fixed up by an authorized third party). It's an official manufacturer program and carries their warranty. But I never had to use the warranty.

I'm sure the X3300W is fine and does exactly what it is supposed to. It will be 100% functional or you return it under the warranty (when bought from a Denon authorized outlet, which Accessories4Less at least used to be).

I wish! My stupid Onkyo receiver, which I bought nearly 10 years ago, is still going strong. I wish it would die so I could get a newer 4K one! :)

I think the Denon AVR-X2400H would do me just fine.

Last edited:
I replaced my old Yamaha with a Denon AVR-X3300W. I want to say mine is a 2016. Absolutely love it. TV, chromecast, firestick, PS4, XBox, and SACD player hooked up to it. Also has wifi for my XM sub. Great options, love it.

I replaced my old Yamaha with a Denon AVR-X3300W. I want to say mine is a 2016. Absolutely love it. TV, chromecast, firestick, PS4, XBox, and SACD player hooked up to it. Also has wifi for my XM sub. Great options, love it.

Honestly I use none of those, even more honestly, I really do not know what a couple of them even are, or how I would use them. However, if I can get the x3300w under $300 I may go for it.

All I really need is IR in and out, 5.1 + Zone 2, at least 4 HDMI ports.

Unfortunately, I need 7.x to get zone 2 and not many units come with IR in let alone IR out.

I have 1 Xfinity Cable box and 3 Media Players each media player has 2tb or more internal storage, they provide all my downloaded video needs, I do not stream anything (At least not yet) just play downloaded movies and TV series.

The setup is really quite simple, just switch between HDMI ports for all the devices and turn everything on and off with a single remote.

That is an expensive box. Never again will I ever spend more than ~$400 for an AVR. Those days are gone and my 66 year old ears cannot tell the difference anymore.

Yeah, it is and I spent a long time deciding on it. I gave up on the earlier model Yamaha only because it didn't support new technology -- ARC, 4K/*k?, etc. (In face, I still have it around for the first grandchild to speak up... it is a great piece of equipment still.)

And I am right in there with "never again"... this is/will be my last purchase of audio/visual equipment. In any event, my (almost) 80-year old ears are enjoying the 9.1 surround sound immensely.

Why is the TV so small?

I thought size didn't matter... :)

I upgraded a couple years ago to a 49" Sony TV from our previous 42". It was the largest TV I could find that would fit inside our entertainment center without making modifications. It is slightly undersized for our 11' viewing distance, but we've been quite happy with it. I never watch TV and wish it was bigger.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explor...tting-too-close-your-tv?-why-distance-matters

Remember when a 25" console TV was considered a large TV? Heck, we had a 19" TV for many years and survived just fine.

I thought size didn't matter... :)

I upgraded a couple years ago to a 49" Sony TV from our previous 42". It was the largest TV I could find that would fit inside our entertainment center without making modifications. It is slightly undersized for our 11' viewing distance, but we've been quite happy with it. I never watch TV and wish it was bigger.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explor...tting-too-close-your-tv?-why-distance-matters

Remember when a 25" console TV was considered a large TV? Heck, we had a 19" TV for many years and survived just fine.

32" is the largest that will fit in the opening in our entertainment center upstairs.

However, there is a wooden shelf for VCR, etc. at the top of that opening.

So I figure I can get an articulated VESA mount, attach it into the bottom of that shelf, and have a larger size (43"?) "float" in front of the opening.

32" is the largest that will fit in the opening in our entertainment center upstairs. However, there is a wooden shelf for VCR, etc. at the top of that opening.

Can that shelf be removed or cut out for extra space?

Width was my limitation. I could have squeezed a 52" TV in our entertainment center but there wouldn't have been any room to fit my fingers around the edges. The difference between a 49" and 52" didn't seem all that significant so I went with the smaller size and haven't had any regrets.

My first entertainment center was limited to a 19" screen. I built a new one when I bought our first 42" plasma TV. I left a little extra room in case I needed to replace the TV, which I did. See ET Center 1 & 2 halfway down on this page: Anthony's Miscellaneous Woodworking Projects

I built the new entertainment center to be modular. If I "really" wanted to have a larger TV I could remove the two side shelf units to accommodate up to a 103" TV! Or I could build narrower shelf units to accommodate something in between.

TV Size Calculator:
https://www.blitzresults.com/en/tv-size/

When did this post change to: Recommendations for a "TV"? Or did I miss something? :)

They do allow the viewer to "receive" audio and video? :)

Most brand name AV receivers have good sound quality, so I usually choose an AV receiver based on how many inputs I need and which types I need. My first receivers needed a lot of composite analog inputs on the back for all those cassette decks, record players, and VCR's. These days I'm down to just a few HDMI connections for the TV, BluRay, and Media Player. So I think most any brand would work for me, meaning price would be the deciding factor.

I do have a second set of speakers in our kitchen/dining area, so support for a second set of speakers would be a must. Little features like that would help me choose between the various units.

My current Pioneer receiver is over a decade old so I have no idea what is currently available. So naturally I am offering my expert advice... :)

If you connect the component HDMI connectors to the TV and use the TV for switching then the receiver/amplifier only needs a single HDMI input (from the TV's HDMI output). There's also no need to be concerned about how the receiver/amplifier handles 4K, HDR, etc. (A network input can be handy if you want stream pure audio from a phone, tablet, or whatever.)

If you connect the component HDMI connectors to the TV and use the TV for switching then the receiver/amplifier only needs a single HDMI input (from the TV's HDMI output).

The main issue with this arrangement is that the TV has to be on even if you're just listening to the radio or a CD. Some people don't care, but it drives me crazy to turn on the TV just to listen to music.

Yes, the receiver should be the "hub" that makes the selection, not the TV.

In my case I only have one HDMI cable going to the TV from the AVR which is used solely as a Monitor. The 2 Media Players, Home Security NVR output and Cable box are switched via HDMI.

My MX-880 Remote is programmed to control each one, with the master volume being the AVR. The MX can control each unit individually if needed, but really only acts as a HDMI Switcher, Volume Control and channel changer.

I am still reviewing AVRs but am leaning towards Denon X3300W as there is one for sale used on craigslist I am working on or a refurbished X2400H. If I can get the 3300 at a decent price, it will fit the bill nicely with a lot of overkill to spare.

Attachments

• IMG_9332 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_9332 (Medium).JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom