Sony smart TV vs Samsung smart TV ?

If I could, I'd buy a simple TV with an excellent picture and a bunch of HDMI inputs. Period.

The TV companies have no idea what good software is, let along any compliment for timely updates - including security fixes.

Look at rtings.com and avsforum.com. Lots of videophiles at AVS that can answer almost any question. We have owned several Samsung sets over the years and bought a 4K set earlier this year that we are delighted with. The reviews on the Sony were not as favorable, but that was comparing last years models.

I hear ya, mpeirce. The smart tv is a bad investment for someone who wants discrete components. They all have it, though. Better to just ignore these built in features if you dont want them.

I read through rtings before buying. They also have information on fine tuning the picture, which was useful

Last edited:
Do you have 4K video on your Plex server?

I see you point! I don't have at the moment but I likely will have when I get a new TV. But you are right, that even 1080 (from Apple TV) will be upscaled, which maybe good enough. On the other side, having a device with 4K caching etc. is probably helpful.

My LG is "smart", but I've never used that function, as I have several other/better options.

If I could, I'd buy a simple TV with an excellent picture and a bunch of HDMI inputs. Period.

The TV companies have no idea what good software is, let along any compliment for timely updates - including security fixes.

+1 go with a standalone box like an apple tv or roku most of the smart tv software is pretty crappy in comparison

Just had to move the Roku back to the 60" Samsung smart tv. Apparently either Amazon or Samsung has made a few tweaks to their apps because my kinda-smart tv has started hiccuping again.

Back
Top Bottom