Starting Search and DD for a 70" 4k, True 120hz TV - Any Recommendations

ShokWaveRider

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Specifically a 70" (75" will not fit and is too big for the room). I read about Dimming Zones for better Blacks etc. and True (Not multiplexed) 120hz Frame Rate.

Just starting doing my Due diligence and would appreciate any help, ESPECIALLY from those who have a 70" 4K TV in their home.

Thanks in Advance.

hey shot have you cut the cord so to speak?I want to get off of direct tv and just do oa tv with a dvr and maybe some streaming channels for hallmark and maybe a few more but don't know really what or how to do it.

I prefer quantum dot(qled) or oled the best but I don't think there are any at 70". Most are 65 or 75 inches. I have a similar dilemma as a 60" would fit perfectly for me so I had to go with a 55".

I prefer quantum dot(qled) or oled the best but I don't think there are any at 70". Most are 65 or 75 inches. I have a similar dilemma as a 60" would fit perfectly for me so I had to go with a 55".

Yes agreed, I am facing the same issue. But I already have a 55" and will have to cut a new recess for the new TV, it is not worth the effort for a 65". A 75" will fit at a push, but honestly I think it would look too big, plus the viewing distances are 9' - 11' ideal for a 70". I will be moving the 55" to the bedroom.

Here is my Current setup & Simulated Proposed options:

Attachments

• HomeTheaterSetup-1.jpg
    HomeTheaterSetup-1.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 73
  • All TV Sizes Setup.JPG
    All TV Sizes Setup.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Going to be tough. 60" and 70" TVs have disappeared for the most part in recent years. LG has a couple, but I think they are 60Hz native.

The last one I recall coming close to your specifications is the Sony X830F, but it is a two year-old panel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CWWYCYY

Last edited:
Going to be tough. 60" and 70" TVs have disappeared for the most part in recent years. LG has a couple, but I think they are 60Hz native.

That is my worry too. There are a few that are 120hz. I just think that 75" would look too large in my situation, it does just fit though. But they recommend 12' viewing for a 75".

I initially cut and finished the alcove for the 55" we have now myself, so I know the sub-structure will take it. I am just loathed to cut the hole and then find it looks ridiculous, although TV's that cover the whole area are becoming quite acceptable, maybe I am just old school and need to get over it.

You will laugh, I cut some pieces of carboard and made one 68" x 39" (75") and the other 64" x 37" (70") and the 70" does look more acceptable to me.

I'm not sure I would cut the hole bigger. Maybe a stand that lets the TV "float" just outside of the hole. You could put your cords & such behind while still having access. One of the stands that moves forward & back

I may be in the market for a bigger TV. I had to use my glasses last night on my 55" TV. That was a wake up call. I have to use my glasses on the 40" in the bedroom as well. Picture is much sharper with my glasses on

I'm not sure I would cut the hole bigger. Maybe a stand that lets the TV "float" just outside of the hole. You could put your cords & such behind while still having access. One of the stands that moves forward & back

That is what I currently have. :) But I like a nice uniform finish with the TV flush to the wall, not protruding out ~5" (TV is 3" and Stand is ~2"). The mantle is only 9".

Besides cutting and finishing the alcove is 95% of the fun.

QLED is the best way to go. A bit pricey but there is a large difference.

That is what I currently have. :) But I like a nice uniform finish with the TV flush to the wall, not protruding out ~5" (TV is 3" and Stand is ~2"). The mantle is only 9".

Besides cutting and finishing the alcove is 95% of the fun.

What else do you do for fun? I despise doing drywall and trim work.:D

Don't you need a bit of air flow around the screen? I though it was 4" all the way around.

Not really, I do not think so, not for today's TVs, the 55 has been there for 10 years with no issues. There is ventilation behind at the sides.

Every tv I’ve bought looked too big when I first bought it and then started looking normal within days. Then small by the time I got the next one. If I could only get the specs I wanted in a 75”, I’d get the 75” tv. Kind of like internet speed and computing speed. Seems fast at first then you love it until faster comes along. Hard to imagine a tv that’s too big. Especially a high end high resolution tv.

I wonder why 70" TV's are not so prolific as 75" ones, it seems like an ideal compromise in size. Maybe the Panel is harder or more expensive to manufacture?

If anyone noticed after the 52" most TV's have an odd number size, 65" 75" etc. Maybe it is an Odd number thing? :confused:

Last edited:
It may have been something as simple as sales. The TV we have (Samsung UN55H7150 - 55") had pretty solid reviews, but the 60" panel for some reason had all sorts of manufacturing problems. Most owners with went with the 55" or 65" panel because of that.

"But they recommend 12' viewing for a 75"."

I recommend you start by re-examining this premise.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

You will be buying a 4K TV. 1080P will be upscaled to 4K and a premium TV will do a good job. Netflix is offering most of their new content in 4K as well.

Viewing distance at 9ft will have 2 effects. If you are too close to the TV, then you could see the structure of the image (pixels) but a 4K panel will avoid this problem. The 2nd effect is field of view. 9ft from a 75" TV is still too far for a cinematic experience of 40 degrees.

Action items to consider; If you watch TV in a well lit room, go to best buy and look at the Samsung 75" Q80 tv. If you watch TV in a darkroom, check out the Samsung 75" Q70 tvs at Costco or best buy.

Here is a picture of my setup taken 9 ft away from my Samsung 82" Q70 TV.

Attachments

• 20200301_072717 - Copy.jpg
    20200301_072717 - Copy.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 38
"But they recommend 12' viewing for a 75"."

I recommend you start by re-examining this premise.
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-size/size-to-distance-relationship

You will be buying a 4K TV. 1080P will be upscaled to 4K and a premium TV will do a good job. Netflix is offering most of their new content in 4K as well.

Viewing distance at 9ft will have 2 effects. If you are too close to the TV, then you could see the structure of the image (pixels) but a 4K panel will avoid this problem. The 2nd effect is field of view. 9ft from a 75" TV is still too far for a cinematic experience of 40 degrees.

Action items to consider; If you watch TV in a well lit room, go to best buy and look at the Samsung 75" Q80 tv. If you watch TV in a darkroom, check out the Samsung 75" Q70 tvs at Costco or best buy.

Here is a picture of my setup taken 9 ft away from my Samsung 82" Q70 TV.

Thanks for this. Looks like a 75" will work then for my application. I was planning on a 4k Panel with 2160 Resolution regardless of the size I end up with.

Specifically a 70" (75" will not fit and is too big for the room). I read about Dimming Zones for better Blacks etc. and True (Not multiplexed) 120hz Frame Rate.

This probably won't be that useful but I can't tell you how impressed I am with our 2-year-old Vizio PQ65-F1 (https://www.vizio.com/tvs/pq65f1.html). This opinion is supported by everyone who has seen it in our home. Unfortunately, it is available only in 65" and 75" but should be considered anyway.

https://www.vizio.com/p-series-quantum

Top reasons to choose P-Series Quantum.

Quantum Color
Extraordinary Color

UltraBright 1200
Profoundly Bright

240 Local Dimming Zones
Darkest Blacks

4K UHD + Dolby Vision HDR
Exceptional 4K Detail

SmartCast™
Award-Winning Smart TV

Apple AirPlay 21
Stream from Apple Devices

Chromecast built-in
Stream Thousands of Apps

Hands-Free TV
Voice Control

This probably won't be that useful but I can't tell you how impressed I am with our 2-year-old Vizio PQ65-F1 (https://www.vizio.com/tvs/pq65f1.html). This opinion is supported by everyone who has seen it in our home. Unfortunately, it is available only in 65" and 75" but should be considered anyway.

The Visio PX75-G1 would be a contender. One REAL problem for me is that Visio TVs tend to be taller than comparable TVs by about 1 to 1.5". Most 75" TVs are around 65.5" x 36.5", These Visio TVs are: 65.7" x 39.2". a Whopping 2" taller than others in it's class, probably because they insist on putting the Speakers and their LOGO in a strip across the bottom. This has stopped me from considering them in the past. The NON "X" version is better at 37.6" tall, but not the PX. :(

The Visio PX75-G1 would be a contender. One REAL problem for me is that Visio TVs tend to be taller than comparable TVs by about 1 to 1.5". Most 75" TVs are around 65.5" x 36.5", These Visio TVs are: 65.7" x 39.2". a Whopping 2" taller than others in it's class, probably because they insist on putting the Speakers and their LOGO in a strip across the bottom. This has stopped me from considering them in the past. The NON "X" version is better at 37.6" tall, but not the PX. :(

I never noticed that. You are correct... kinda. Our TV has a frame that is ~1/8" (3cm) on top and the sides. The frame is 3/8" on the bottom -- the Logo is there but no speakers. The actual picture is 1/4" inside the frame all the way around. Interesting.

I never noticed that. You are correct... kinda. Our TV has a frame that is ~1/8" (3cm) on top and the sides. The frame is 3/8" on the bottom -- the Logo is there but no speakers. The actual picture is 1/4" inside the frame all the way around. Interesting.

Still do not know why the PX75-G1 is so much taller.... on the spec sheets. I will need to go find one and do the SWR Actual Measurement Test. :)

Here is the reason, I think at least:

Attachments

• PX75.jpg
    PX75.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I decided to go with a 75", Probably the Visio PX75-G1 but still undecided. I had to lower my mantle 3.5". to gain a few inches. I will take some more pics when I get to a good progress point.

These discussions are very helpful to me. When I first designed my home theater I was planning on a projector. Now I'm planning on an OLED at around 90 inches. Another year or two and that should be available. Then again, at the rate I have been progressing, I may be able to get something in the holographic realm by the time I am ready! :)

Here we are in the process re-cutting the alcove for the New 75" TV. Showing the original 55" Hole with trim and interior side removed. I will try to report our progress. Shows before and after.

Attachments

• IMG_9511.jpg
    IMG_9511.jpg
    490.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9514.jpg
    IMG_9514.jpg
    533.8 KB · Views: 25
Back
Top Bottom