The 2019 cell/smart phone plan thread

JoeWras

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I've been on a roll lately, looking at all my media costs. I figured it was time to look at the cell plans out there. What are you all using? What do you like?

I currently have AT&T with an unlocked Moto phone. The monthly fee is about $90 for two lines. It is grandfathered, but pretty close to Mobile Share 3GB They say $40 per line "plus fees." The fees on my plan are $12 per month. Grumble.

I'm looking at T-Moble 55+. Any opinion? They list at $70 per month (2 phones), "including taxes and fees." Really? That isn't bad.

An outlier plan I'm looking at is Republic Wireless for about $40 to $50 per month for two phones (depending on data usage). Not sure it includes fees. A friend has it and likes it. I'm not sold. I decided to try it for a month on an older phone and just see how it goes.

The unlocked phones work on any and all of these carriers. I'm a huge fan of unlocked, customer owned phones.

Last edited:
Depends how you use your phone. I don't talk all that much and don't use my phone for things that require data very often so I have a tracfone that cost $100 and spend around $100/yr for services(talk/text/data). I have had the same phone for around four years with no problems for around $100/yr.

Cricket. $100/month for 4 lines unlimited data taxes and fees included. Speed is slower than ATT but we don't notice as phones are usually on Wifi. We're also very happy with our Moto G phones and we've had G3's, 5's, and now G7's. I stock up on Cricket gift cards when Kroger is running the 4x fuel points sales and every once in a while Target will offer discounts on gift cards.

Cricket. $100/month for 4 lines unlimited data taxes and fees included.
Yeah, I see for 4 phones+ this can be a nice plan. We have 2 so not as nice.

Depends how you use your phone. I don't talk all that much and don't use my phone for things that require data very often so I have a tracfone that cost $100 and spend around $100/yr for services(talk/text/data). I have had the same phone for around four years with no problems for around $100/yr.
I used to be with a plan like that back in the Virgin Mobil days. Loved being able to pay under $10 per month.

However, I admit the data usage is compelling. DW and I use about 1G each per month. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

Your point is well taken for this thread. A lot of people fall into this basic usage category and you can get a really good deal. Stay away from the big boys if you are a basic user.

We're getting our cell service through Xfinity/Comcast for $13 a month, each. Not unlimited, but it's all we ever need. Our cable bill is $200 a month, but that's every channel they offer, high-speed internet, land line, and one cell phone.

DH switched last year because you could bring your own iPhone. I am an Android person, and they just opened up the bring your own Android, so I'm going to switch next week. That will make our cable bill $213. My AT&T is $48 a month now.

Mint Mobile unlimited talk, text, 8GB data per month normally $20. Special Buy 3 months get 3 free so cost for 6 months with taxes and fees was $67. Uses the T-Mobile network. The T-Mobile 55+ plan was not a good deal for me because I only need one line.

Previously with Virgin Mobile using the Sprint network. Mint is far better here.

Using Moto G7 unlocked phone.

I have Republic with 2GB/mo and it's $23.55 or something, all-in. I had a plan where they gave you your money back for unused data, but lost that when DD gave me her old phone. Disclosure: DD works on the Relay team at Republic. So cell phone plans like this are not her department, but I must admit, I'd like to see Republic be successful :)

I have Republic with 2GB/mo and it's $23.55 or something, all-in. I had a plan where they gave you your money back for unused data, but lost that when DD gave me her old phone. Disclosure: DD works on the Relay team at Republic. So cell phone plans like this are not her department, but I must admit, I'd like to see Republic be successful :)
Me too, seng. They are in our back yard after all.

They cut costs in a lot of different ways. We'll see. I bought a SIM card and it is in the mail now. I'm going to give it a try for a month or two as an extra phone before porting anything.

My wife is on the Republic wireless plan $23 a month unlimited talk, text and 1 GB data. Of course, WiFi data is free so she finds the 1GB is adequate for her needs. Phone is a Moto G6. For myself I use a Samsung Galaxy J3 on a tracfone plan (1200 texts, 1200 talk minutes, 1.2 GB data) for about $120 a year. The phone cost me $50. I don't use my phone much except on WiFi so that cheaper plan works for me. So our total annual phone expense is about $400.

T-Mobile 55+ best plan we've had. I'm not much of a phone user outside of w*rk, I spent too much time the phone at w*rk (Thank God that's done!) so I avoid it as much as I can. DW, on the other hand, great Lord Almighty. She's not as bad as some kids, but it gets close.

We've been using Ting for 6 years. Very happy with the service. With Ting, you pay for what you use. So it's very cheap for light users. Over 5 years, we've averaged $37/mo for two smartphones. Ting provides access to both the Sprint and T-Mobile networks.

However, recently we've started using more mobile data, mainly due to more travel by car using navigation and other services on Android Auto. So our Ting bill has crept up into the $50-60 range. In addition, I've been less than thrilled with the availability of T-Mobile once we get out in the boonies.

So based on this post by pb4uski in another thread, I just ordered SIM cards for Airvoice Wireless. For $18/mo, you get access to the AT&T network, which should work better than T-Mobile off the beaten path. Plus unlimited talk/text and 2GB of data for each of our phones. And no junk fees. So total bill for the two of us will be $36/mo. Our current shared data usage on Ting averages 2-3GB. So I think we should be fine with the 2GB each on Airvoice Wireless.

Wife and I have MetroPCS (now "Metro by T-Mobile") and pay $30/month each all-in for unlimited talk/text + 2GB high speed data before throttling.

Daughter has her iPhone on Virgin Mobile and gets unlimited talk/text + 10GB high speed data before throttling for $30/month + state sales tax.

I’m currently with Verizon at $55/month. I’m in a pretty “wired” community and my data consumption is very low. My ISP is Spectrum who provide a number of secure wi-fi hot spots that my phone automatically joins with the installed Spectrum profile.

I read a couple of comments recently from people who like Consumer Cellular so I gave them a call this week. It seems they use AT&T and T-Mobile, will assign based on their service maps but you can request one or the other.

I’ll likely switch in the next month or so and see how it goes. I fulfilled my VZ contract a long time ago so it’s a good time to check alternatives. Consumer Cellular would be a noticeable savings for me.

Last edited:
There's no doubt that Ver and ATT have the largest coverage. T-Mo has some holes. I don't like the Beckley, West Virginia hole for example, since we stay there from time to time. But no holes are as bad as Sprint's. Live in the Dakotos or are visiting? Might as well not turn on the phone.

At least T-Mo is upfront and has a handy map where you can switch between the 4 major carriers, showing their own warts and all.

Last edited:
We had phones on Republic and Google Fi and we ended up switching all to Google Fi. Cost for 2 phones on Fi is $35/mo ($20 for one and $15 for each additional) + $10/G for data. We usually use about 1.8G between us, and with taxes and fees end up at less than $60/mo.

We switched because Republic's coverage was sometimes iffy, and they don't have any international roaming at all. Roaming is included with Fi -- they charge ~20c/minute for voice calls overseas, but data is the same $10/G and it's high speed. I love not having to find a sim for my phone and communicate the new number to elderly parents at home. If they need us, they can just call the usual number no matter where we are.

We have "designed for Fi" phones that switch between the T-Mobile, U.S. Cellular, and Sprint networks to get the best service. Depending on which moto you have, yours may also be in that category. We have a moto x4s. If your phone can't do network switching, then you stay on the T-Mobile network and have the same coverage they provide.

I have Tracfone. I am light user so it works for me. The past couple of years I have been able to get by at $50 per year. Tracfone eBay store has been offering a one year, 3gb, 1200, talk, and 1200 text for $50 recently. That works for me.

I just can’t bring myself to go with a more expensive plan. I strongly considered the T-Mobile 55 plus plan when it came out because of the international coverage. It was $60 per month for two lines then and is still a very reasonable $70 for two lines now. I decided against it because T-Mobile’s coverage in rural areas near me is not strong and also, because frankly $30 per month for DH’s line is way too much. I am a light user but he is almost a non user. Really I am overpaying at $50 per year for him, ha, ha. I guess that I am just lazy and don’t research a cheaper plan for him.

I had an unlocked Moto G6 and really liked it. I now have an unlocked Samsung S9 and it is a good phone. I would recommend either phone.

I'm a very light user, have been with Tello (Sprint MVNO) for the past 2+ years, currently on the $5 plan with 500mb 4G LTE data and unlimited texts, and I pay for calls at 1c per minute as needed from my PAYG balance since I'm a texter not a talker. I'm a Spectrum Internet customer so I have free access to tons of WIFI hot spots all over so I don't even use much of my data.

You can build your own plan depending on your needs or their most popular plan is $14 including 2GB data and unlimited text and calling.

+1 on buy your own unlocked phones to save a ton of money. I just bought my latest Moto G6 play for about $71 sold as open box but as best I can tell it's brand new on EBAY. This is my 3rd Moto phone in the last 5 years or so.

As Joe noted, Sprint is not great in all areas but for me it's good in Los Angeles, Orange County up through the High Desert all the way to Las Vegas and Laughlin Nevada where any savings on the phone bill get spent rather quickly....

We pay $81 per month, including all taxes and fees, for 2 lines with Verizon. Unlimited talk & messages, 10GB of data, unused data rolls over.

As Joe noted, Sprint is not great in all areas but for me it's good in Los Angeles, Orange County up through the High Desert all the way to Las Vegas and Laughlin Nevada where any savings on the phone bill get spent rather quickly....
Yeah, the most important thing is to know your habits. Our Sprint (Virgin) phones were great at home, work and around town. Even on the interstate between NC and the Central Midwest was fine.

We just didn't know what we were heading into on a trip to the upper Midwest until we saw the no service icon for 4 days. We never imagined the network had such a limitation.

For someone who doesn't travel to rural areas or to the gap areas, it doesn't matter much if your primary area has solid coverage.

I've been on a roll lately, looking at all my media costs. I figured it was time to look at the cell plans out there. What are you all using? What do you like?

I currently have AT&T with an unlocked Moto phone. The monthly fee is about $90 for two lines. It is grandfathered, but pretty close to Mobile Share 3GB They say $40 per line "plus fees." The fees on my plan are $14 per month. Grumble. ....

Airvoicewireless. AT&T system.... probably can still use your AT&T sim card and give airvoice you sim card number... but check with them.

Unlimited talks and text and 2GB of data for $18/month per line with autopay.... $18 hits my credit card statement... no fees. Each line is a separate account.

Seven years for us and very happy with the service.... and even happier with the cost.

https://www.airvoicewireless.com/unlimited

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    199.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
We pay $81 per month, including all taxes and fees, for 2 lines with Verizon. Unlimited talk & messages, 10GB of data, unused data rolls over.
Is this a grandfathered plan? A negotiation? I see nothing close on their website.

We use T-Mobile 55+ for 2 iPhone 8’s and an iPad. $70 all-in for the 3 lines. It took a TMobile call to figure out how to get our iPad added for $10 in addition to each $30 iPhone line but they did it. Unlimited Data/text. We just got back from Europe and discovered the unlimited coverage there is 2G. Added a 15gb 4G option for $50 and that got us normal use with Google Maps, etc. for the entire trip.

My cell service costs me less than $1/mo. using Tello "Pay as You Go" service.

Tello also has a very low cost plan with 500 MB LTE data, unlimited 2g data, 100 min. voice, and unlimited texts for $6/mo.

It's a Sprint network MVNO. I haven't seen a better deal. I've had it for 2 1/2 years with no complaints using PAYGO only for most of that time and one month with a plan as well.

My PAYGO balance never expires - you just have to have at least one billed usage every 3 months, such as making a 1 cent call. This makes it a great choice as a backup phone also, although it's my only phone.

If you want more data, you can get a plan with 2 GB LTE data, unlimited 2g data, 100 min. voice, and unlimited texts for $11/mo. and go up to higher tiers from there and switch plans anytime you want. Triple your voice for only $1/mo. more if you like.

You can add a PAYGO balance along with your plan, and if you use up your voice minutes, it can take it off your PAYGO balance at 1 cent per minutes, and the PAYGO doesn't expire if it's not used with your plan. I know someone who has had an unused PAYGO balance with her plan for over 2 years because she has never used up her voice allotment. Don't forget to disable PAYGO for data if you have a plan since the plans have unlimited 2g data after your LTE allotment runs out, otherwise you would pay 2 cents per MB beyond your plan allotment. Unlimited voice is available as well for a slightly higher price if you talk a lot.

Any of your data can be used for tether/hotspot as well - no additional tether charge.

https://tello.com/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom