Trying to Identify a TV Series

Ian S

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Some nights ago, I began to watch a British police drama on one of the streaming networks I have on my Roku. However, last night when I returned to continue watching it I can't seem to find it. I was pretty sure it was on Amazon Prime but now I'm not so sure. Alas, I did not add it to my watch list and don't remember the name of the series. None of the actors were known to me. So I wondered if I describe a bit of the plot, if anyone might recognize it and be able to provide me the name.

Anyway, the good guy roles include a female Detective Sergeant (DS) who is just joined on a case by her new (black male) partner who has just been transferred from the English equivalent of Internal Affairs and who has no homicide experience but as a Detective Inspector (DI) outranks her. So right off the bat, there is friction between the two. The DS is single while the DI is married with a family. Anyway, the case involves a naked dead man tied face down to his bed with a knife sticking out of the back of his neck. Flashbacks are used to establish how the deceased wound up dead and involving a young female sex worker who has befriended a black man who works in a dance club. This guy actually saves the young woman from an assault outside the bar by the guy who is eventually murdered. The black bar worker is foreign and seems like a decent guy who is seeking refugee status. However, there are hints that this "nice" guy has a dark past.

Hopefully, this is enough info for someone who has seen this TV series to identify it for me so I can get back to watching it. Thanks for any help!

Ian,

What else do you have besides Prime that you might have watched this show on? What do you have accessible with your Roku besides Prime?

Also, was it really a black DI? Not an Indian? (I only say this as one poster posted Unforgotten.) As far as my memory goes, the only British TV show that a black DI or DS plays a prominent role in that I watched is Luther. Line of Duty has one black guy somewhere in S1, but the storyline doesn't match.

Last edited:
Ian,

What else do you have besides Prime that you might have watched this show on? What do you have accessible with your Roku besides Prime?

Also, was it really a black DI? Not an Indian? As far as my memory goes, the only British TV show that a black DI or DS plays a prominent role in that I watched is Luther.
I also have Netflix, HBO, and Showtime Anytime that are without commercials and what I watched had no commercials. It could have been Netflix except it doesn't show up on the continue watching list for that service.

Definitely a black guy not Indian. Also not Luther which I've seen. Something sticks in my mind that the series was from 2017 but I'm not certain of that. The antagonist couple are turning into serial killers as they try to hide their tracks.

You were watching Prime Suspect.
No, I don't think it's that either. I think the protagonist in Prime Suspect is a higher up not a mere DS. Plus the partner in the show I was watching was black and a DI so of a higher rank. Are there episodes of Prime Suspect where a young sex worker and her black refugee friend are the killers?

If it's Amazon Prime, if you have watched the show even partially, it should show up at the top with the header of "Watch next TV". At least, that's the way it looks to me with my Amazon Prime. You don't see it there?

That's it! I could have sworn it was on Prime but I will have to look on Showtime instead. Thanks for the help!

I'm so glad the group figured this out, because I am a huge Eve Myles fan. I just watched the trailer - whoa!!

Eventually this will end up on one of the streaming services I already pay for, and I will watch it then.

That's it! I could have sworn it was on Prime but I will have to look on Showtime instead. Thanks for the help!

Happy to help. I haven't actually watched it but I was intrigued by the challenge and googled "british TV naked man face down knife". Bingo!

Last edited:
Happy to help. I haven't actually watched it but I intrigued by the challenge and googled "british TV naked man face down knife". Bingo!

Wow, I didn't think of doing that, but good job!

I'm so glad the group figured this out, because I am a huge Eve Myles fan. I just watched the trailer - whoa!!

Eventually this will end up on one of the streaming services I already pay for, and I will watch it then.

I really liked Eve Myles in Keeping Faith. I will definitely grab her future shows as well.

Happy to help. I haven't actually watched it but I intrigued by the challenge and googled "british TV naked man face down knife". Bingo!
I was going to ask how you figured it out thinking perhaps that you had seen the series already. I tried googling things related to the police protagonists but didn't think to use the far more restrictive description of the actual murder. Kudos for figuring it out!

Wow, I didn't think of doing that, but good job!

So I actually ended up watching this series out of curiosity. It is very well done, a bit raw, and obviously no resolution hoping for Season 2. It rougher than "Unforgotten" but I like the characters.

So I actually ended up watching this series out of curiosity. It is very well done, a bit raw, and obviously no resolution hoping for Season 2. It rougher than "Unforgotten" but I like the characters.
I've been distracted for awhile so have the season finale still to watch. I agree I like the characters too.

Back
Top Bottom