USB-C Power Bank

Ready

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I’ve made the final transition from older USB-A devices to an all USB-C environment. All of my portable devices now use USB-C for recharging. These devices include:

MacBook Air
Iphone 13 (USB C to lightning)
IPad Pro
DJI Mini 2 Drone

The last holdout is my Apple Watch, but when the Series 7 begins shipping it will be USB-C.

I’ve been looking for a battery pack that i can travel with to recharge all of these devices. The best I can find is a pack with a single USB-C port and multiple USB-A ports. I can’t find a single battery pack with more than one USB-C port.

Does anyone know if such a device exists? Is there a technical limitation preventing a second USB-C port?

USB-A specs originally called for a device drawing no more than 0.5A. Later, USB 3.0 upped that to 0.9A.

In reality, later devices draw as much as 2A, and most powerbanks allow this much, and some even have 2 slots for a total of 4A. That's 20W.

USB-C allows a higher current of 3A to be drawn from a slot. A beefier internal circuit is needed, and perhaps that's why the makers provide only one port. With time, you may see more ports, because the Li-ion cells inside the powerbanks are capable of a higher drain.

Here is one that is all USB-C - 2 ports:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07N7ZQ68Z

Here is a tech review of it from two years ago:
https://switchchargers.com/zmi-powerpack-ambi-10k-dual-usb-c-review/

Great find, thanks! It looks like that may be the only one on the market based on the reviews I read. And it’s two years old, which means nobody else has come along in two years to offer a competing product.

I’m surprised to see there isn’t more demand for this as more and more products replace their legacy USB-A ports with the newer USB-C ports.

Anker has a bunch (the Anker products I have have been good quality) of products with USB C ports.

Their PowerPort Atom III 63W Slim has 2 USB C and 2 USB A ports for example.

Umm, that's an adapter that plugs in the wall, not a powerbank.

One thing about powerbanks is that while beefing up the electronics to provide more high-powered USB-C ports is not hard to do, the internal lithium cells don't have higher capacity than the ones of yesteryear. They can handle the load, meaning not blowing up, but do not last as long as you wish.

Powerbanks commonly use 18650 cells. I have a lot of 18650 cells made by LG Chem, and they all measure at 3,000 mAh. Just now look on the Web, and it is said that the very best 18650 cells can do 3,600 mAh. And not all powerbanks even use the 3,000 mAh cells, in order to save cost.

A traveler may have to carry more than 1 powerbank, if he brings along a lot of electronics.

PS. The internal 18650 cells dictate the form factor of the powerbanks that you see on the market. Looking at one, you can picture how the cells are stacked inside. The photos below are examples.

418H9vaPPvL._US500_.jpg

5v-2-1a-1000mah-power-bank-18650-battery.jpg

Last edited:
Umm, that's an adapter that plugs in the wall, not a powerbank.

True, but Anker is generally ahead of the curve with powerbank products. I swear by them and have been using them for over 10 years.

That being said, I was surprised while searching that they have not yet offered a fully USB-C product. They do however have a powerbank which does offer two USB-C along with the legacy USB ports:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089D4176K

But OMG! Look at that price tag!

^^^ Yes, that's pricy.

I did not know about this brand, but while the above costs $160 for 25.6 Ah of lithium storage, you can buy multiple smaller 10.0 Ah powerbanks from the same brand for $22 to $30 each.

PS. The big one can pump out 87W max, while the smaller ones are limited to 15-20W max. I guess if you have a larger device that you want to fast charge, you have to pony up the dough for the big one.

Last edited:
I use a small adapter, and they cost at most $10 for 2-3 pieces. You do have to watch the power rating. If left plugged into the battery, the adapter projects out just .375".

Good points from @NW-Bound. Then there is a market tradeoff between size and capability, as size and weight affects device portability which can be as important.

While the USB-C form factor is superior, I do not mind power banks with some type A ports so much as USB-A is so prevalent on computers and in places were a charge might be needed like an airplane seat, so I will keep my host side A to USB-C cables for years to come. But those micro-A connectors are trash.

Ready - interesting story behind the ZMI.

It originated from a Kickstarter campaign.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zmi/the-powerpack-ambi-matte-black-dual-usb-c-battery-pack

Interesting - thanks for sharing. I like the product but I’m surprised to see that it hasn’t been updated since it came out 2 years ago.

I’m also surprised that nobody else has come out with a product to compete with it, and that it only has 63 reviews after 2 years.

There must not be much demand for dual USB-C port battery packs or someone else would offer one. I searched on Amazon quite a bit and never found this one until you pointed me to it.

^^^ That looks like a very nice powerpack for $26 with 18W output.

But then, I saw on Amazon another guy selling a 2-pack of 10,000mAh Powerpacks with 12W output for $20/pair. That's cheap, if it is truly 10,000 mAh.

I ordered this one from Amazon today.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QYRRVR...colid=IA7LO653HSUB&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It still only has one USB-C port but 20W power and can be recharged from the USB-C port so only one cable to carry around. I’ve had good luck with Anker products so when I saw it was 25% off I went ahead and ordered it.

As NW-Bound mentioned earlier, it may make sense to just carry two battery packs rather than trying to find one that can accommodate everything.

I'm confused. Do you all intend to only to be in places where there is no electricity?

I carry a 25000 mH Anker power pack (an old one) for re-charging a phone or tablet when I am not near an electrical outlet.

For travel, I also carry a power strip that has 3 standard 3-prong plugs and 3 USB male plugs. That can be plugged in to an adapter (if needed), and will charge several devices at the same time.

Why a power bank instead of a power adapter?

Is the plan to be out so much and away from an outlet?

Also, I'm not sure a power bank can reliably recharge larger devices like a MacBook Air?

I've used power banks and it doesn't even look to recharge my iPad Pro reliably.

Is the plan to be out so much and away from an outlet?

Also, I'm not sure a power bank can reliably recharge larger devices like a MacBook Air?

I've used power banks and it doesn't even look to recharge my iPad Pro reliably.

I have 2 Anker powerbanks - a 13,000 mAh and a 26,800 mAh.

Generally, I'll keep the 13,000 in my backpack, and be using it to recharge my phone when we go on day trips and walking/hiking.

I take/use the 26,800 when I have my portable tablet/notebook - and keep it plugged in when I'm working at the airport, on a plane/train, food court, or other location where there is not a convenient power/USB outlet. Sure, I recharge from an outlet at night. However, during the day, if I happen to be on the move, and need the phone/tablet, then I need to have the powerbank if I'm planning to do work or be using the phone the entire day.

I have a couple of power banks, including 20k mAh and a couple of 10k mAh.

I pack them for my overseas trips but most of the time I just take out the 10k mAh banks in my bag to recharge my iPhone and iPad when I go out for the day.

The 20k mAh is nice but bigger and heavier obviously.

They all have USB-C ports but mostly for recharging the power bank, not to recharge the devices. I may pick up some USB-C power banks if it's demonstrated that they charge faster than via the USB-C to Lightning cables.

But I mostly charge at the hotel, using one RAV Power charger which has two USB-C and two USB-A ports in a relatively compact form.

https://www.ravpower.com/products/rp-pc136-pd-pioneer-65w-4-port-gan-tech-usb-c-charger

One thing I like about this one is that it does NOT use those folding plugs, typical of travel chargers. I've had problems with those folding plugs not maintaining contact, whether plugged in via an plug adapter to a European outlet or outlets on planes.

Plus the plugs are obviously not bulky so they would fit better in narrow spaces.

So I've put that in my bag when boarding flights to use on board.

One use of a power bank is to not have to be attached. When the grandkids are here, I let them plug their iPad into my power block and then they can move around or sit wherever they want without dealing with a wall outlet and being plugged in. More flexible and mobile.

Not sure what power bank your using, but mine will charge my iPad Pro. You need one with the higher output (2 amps I think). Mine has a lower output plug and a higher output plug. The iPad needs the higher output one.

Back
Top Bottom