Alkaline batteries

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
Most of the batteries we use are rechargeable, but we do have a store of alkaline for emergency use. We get the large packs from Costco - they are part of our hurricane preparedness. This past weekend I was cleaning and saw all of the remaining batteries had leaked. The package holds 32 and had 16 still unused. They were stored in a cool humidity controlled area.

I’ve pretty much has it with these Duracell batteries, too many devices (mostly remotes) have been damaged over the years. Is this a problem affecting all the battery manufacturers or is it worse with some - like Duracell? Are there any alkaline batteries that are less likely to malfunction and leak?

There is a wide range of reliability among alkaline batteries, far wider than I would have thought.

I'm guessing you're talking about AA batteries.
Consumer Reports lists their most highly recommended AA alkaline batteries as follows (starting with the top rated):
Duracell Quantum
Energizer Ultimate
Rayovac Fusion Advanced
CVS Health MAX
Duracell Coppertop Duralock
Kirkland Signature
Rite Aid Home
The rest of the list has ratings that don't inspire any confidence (including Amazon Basics).

Among lithium AA batteries, the top rated ones were
Energizer Ultimate Lithium
Energizer Advanced Lithium

My strategy, especially for AAA size which I use a lot of, is to buy them at the Dollar Tree store. Getting 6 batteries for $1.25 or so is affordable. I then use them fast enough that they never have a chance to leak.

-gauss

I’ve had all kinds leak. Some in the original packaging and others in my equipment. I gave up on alkaline batteries. In an emergency, I’d still be comfortable relying on my rechargeable batteries. Keep some batteries charged and keep a power block charged.

If I wanted alkaline batteries, I’d buy a new pack every year and give the old one away to someone who goes through them quickly. They’re just too prone to leaking.

Note, I did have some Duracells leak in the pack and I contacted Duracell and they did send me a coupon for some new batteries. Not a big deal, but that’s also when I learned that Costco doesn’t take coupons. Not even coupons that are for a package versus a dollar amount off.

I have ~ 6 remotes within the love seat drawer/pocket that never really get used other than for trouble shooting A/V components. I store all without batteries for just the reasons you noted.

I suspect that there's a lot of randomness in battery reliability. They are all made in China by one or two plants, who knows.

For what it's worth, recently I reported on finding a 9V alkaline battery with a date of 2010 in my garage door opener keypad. The keypad stopped working 2 months ago. The long life of the battery knocked my socks off.

When I measured the voltage it was still putting out 4V. Absolutely no sign of leakage. And the battery may be manufactured 2-3 years before its printed date. So, that's 14 years of service.

The brand is Rayovac - Infinity Gold. Who knows if new cells are still made the same way.

I have a bunch of rechargeable batteries from IKEA, but sometimes you need a higher voltage of an alkaline, for that I go to Dollar Tree for $1.25 specials.

Odds are alkaline cells will leak. If you need sizes AA, AAA or 9V, I recommend Energizer Ultimate Lithium for long life in use, long shelf life and minimal leaking. They are more expensive, so price is a minus.

Odds are alkaline cells will leak. If you need sizes AA, AAA or 9V, I recommend Energizer Ultimate Lithium for long life in use, long shelf life and minimal leaking. They are more expensive, so price is a minus.

One problem I've had with the Energizer Lithium 9V is that it is not the standard shape of a 9V. It's close, but the edges are squared off instead of rounded and the battery would not fit in my thermometer. So, be careful if you have a tight compartment for the 9V.

One problem I've had with the Energizer Lithium 9V is that it is not the standard shape of a 9V. It's close, but the edges are squared off instead of rounded and the battery would not fit in my thermometer. So, be careful if you have a tight compartment for the 9V.

That's a good point.

The leaking of alkalines is one reason why I've pretty much switched over to NiMH low discharge. Eneloops, to be exact. I only use AA and AAA sizes.

There's an exception to everything. Sometimes I get alkalines with stuff I buy. For those I put in a separate box. Also, my thermostat I use Akalines, as I don't want a recharageble to take a dive while I'm out of town. There's still a couple more things. A fever thermometer that takes 1.5 V batteries so I use rechargeable Li-ion and also a point and shoot camera that's a total battery hog regardless if akaline or Ni Mh, so Li-ion for these also.

Other than that, pretty much Eneloops.

Pitiful that I have a system all in my mind. Too much time on my hands :cool:.

OP - This seems to affect all the batteries I buy as the years roll on. I've stopped buying batteries as I already have a bunch I should use up first.

I'd suggest buying smaller packs of batteries, since you use so few.

What I've started doing is to take out the batteries from my many flashlights and other devices as I've had a few leaking batteries in various things.

Thankfully, I've been able to clean off the terminals of the devices using vinegar and then 91% alcohol to dry it off. It does work pretty good, and made me think of all the things I threw away as I didn't know to use vinegar :facepalm:

Any new/spare battery will last longer if stored at lower temperatures. At both our homes you will find a ziploc bag full of batteries in the fridge. Self-discharge is definitely reduced at cold temperatures. I haven't tested but I'm pretty sure that leakage is postponed to some extent until a battery comes in from the cold and goes into a room temp device.

I also tend to use the more expensive lithium batteries in devices where I want longer life, like backup in thermostats. I don't recall that I have had any of these corrode.

Any new/spare battery will last longer if stored at lower temperatures. At both our homes you will find a ziploc bag full of batteries in the fridge.

I used to think the same, but apparently Consumer Reports disagrees:
Alkaline batteries can be stored for five to 10 years; for lithium batteries, it’s 10 to 15. And unlike the old carbon-zinc batteries, modern batteries don’t benefit from being refrigerated.

I buy Energizer AA in 8 packs, right now I have Energizer Max but buy any Energizer batteries. The package states 10 years storage. I use alkaline batteries for remote controls and clocks where using a NiMH wouldn't be practical. Sometimes Energizer batteries sit a few years in storage and then 2-3 years in a device. I never once had a battery leak.

I used to think the same, but apparently Consumer Reports disagrees:
Could be, but self-discharge is real and temperature dependent like most chemical reactions. Alkaline batts are apparently less sensitive, though. Actually most of the batts in my fridges are button cells. Seems like every gadget needs a different cell, but not often.

Most of the batteries we use are rechargeable, but we do have a store of alkaline for emergency use. We get the large packs from Costco - they are part of our hurricane preparedness. This past weekend I was cleaning and saw all of the remaining batteries had leaked. The package holds 32 and had 16 still unused. They were stored in a cool humidity controlled area.

I’ve pretty much has it with these Duracell batteries, too many devices (mostly remotes) have been damaged over the years. Is this a problem affecting all the battery manufacturers or is it worse with some - like Duracell? Are there any alkaline batteries that are less likely to malfunction and leak?

i use Duracell exclusively and don't have the problem you've described. but then i'm not storing electronics with the batteries installed. IF that's what you're doing then two suggestions. store the batteries outside of the device, or, flip one of the batteries in the device so it's in backwards (+battery terminal to - device terminal instead of + to +. that will prevent current potential but the best way is in a plastic box kept in a cool, dry place.

It's probably been 20-30 years since I last saw a leaking battery. Not only that, but I use the "dread" Amazon Basics batteries.

I can't explain it! Maybe I have a guardian angel on my shoulder, taking care of a number of things including leaking batteries.

Attachments

• angel.jpg
    angel.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 249
Funny, this year for the first time I had both Duracell AA (Costco size), and AAA leak (grocery store retail). I thought it might have been old batteries, but, the grocery store was a relatively recent purchase.

All alkaline batteries can leak.

Anything made by Duracell seems the worst for the above...I won't touch those - brand-name or made-by-Duracell private label batteries.

Or alkaline batteries made in China which have the capacity of USA-made, heavy-duty, carbon-zinc batteries.

On another forum I saw a poster state the Rayovac Fusion Advanced brand batteries they've bought have never leaked, but YMMV.

I solved the problem by moving to Energizer Lithium for AA/AAA batteries for those emergency items that sit on the shelf for years but HAVE to work when you need them.

Otherwise it's eneloop rechargeable batteries.

With battery spacers...you can convert a AA to a C or D battery size using those.

9V batteries have so little total capacity that IMHO they're not worth buying, period.

So I've switched from smoke detectors using a 9V battery to combination smoke/CO detectors that use AA batteries instead.

Last edited:
My strategy, especially for AAA size which I use a lot of, is to buy them at the Dollar Tree store. Getting 6 batteries for $1.25 or so is affordable. I then use them fast enough that they never have a chance to leak.

-gauss

This is what I do too. OK, they might last only 85% as long as a name brand battery, but hey, they're about 50% less expensive.

I've also had good luck with Amazon Basic AA sized batteries. Bought a 20 pack back during the pandemic and have used about half of them left. No leakage.

About 10 years ago I got a bunch of highly rated rechargeable batteries and a charger. They lasted about 2 years before they were basically unusable. Not just in heavy current demand devices but they didn't work very well in remotes either.

Last edited:
All alkaline batteries can leak.

Anything made by Duracell seems the worst for the above...I won't touch those - brand-name or made-by-Duracell private label batteries.

Or alkaline batteries made in China which have the capacity of USA-made, heavy-duty, carbon-zinc batteries.

On another forum I saw a poster state the Rayovac Fusion Advanced brand batteries they've bought have never leaked, but YMMV.

I solved the problem by moving to Energizer Lithium for AA/AAA batteries for those emergency items that sit on the shelf for years but HAVE to work when you need them.

Otherwise it's eneloop rechargeable batteries.

With battery spacers...you can convert a AA to a C or D battery size using those.

9V batteries have so little total capacity that IMHO they're not worth buying, period.

So I've switched from smoke detectors using a 9V battery to combination smoke/CO detectors that use AA batteries instead.
it's very weird that some are reporting consistent problems with Duracell batteries while I and others have had just the opposite experience. I tend to buy my AAA and AA batteries at Costco, too...larger packs and a good price. Very strange.

it's very weird that some are reporting consistent problems with Duracell batteries while I and others have had just the opposite experience. I tend to buy my AAA and AA batteries at Costco, too...larger packs and a good price. Very strange.

My guess is that you go through them quickly. Is that the case?

Back
Top Bottom