Web design and webmasters - recommendations

deserat

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I belong to a non-profit group and have been their volunteer webmaster for the last year or so. This group is part of a larger group; we are a chapter which is part of a section which is part of a larger international organization. The previous webmaster built our site (domain registration, web page template, etc) on GoDaddy. Go Daddy can make it easy however you will pay - I've costed out our very simple website for a year and it is $272.

I have told the President of our chapter I will no longer be webmaster after paying this last bill and she needs to find another webmaster or way to do this. I've suggested that she ask up the line what is available to us as a chapter under the auspices of higher level aggregate organizations.

My plan is to try and download any content and make it available for whatever platform will be used in the future. Moreover, I told the President there needs to be an information management plan, i.e. plan on how to disseminate and store the information and data that is generated as well as a way to communicate with the members and public. She's a great gal, but in her 80's and a bit over her head on this. He!! one of the members who is 20 years younger than I is lost on this, too, as it can be fairly technical with regard to how to think about this and implement it.

Do you all have any recommendations? I know that there are 'consolidators' who offer web page design and maintenance. If you know of a consolidator or some other way to outsource this outside of use GoDaddy and rely on volunteers for web page/web master duties, would greatly appreciate PMing me and I'll go do some more research. Thanks in advance.

I have my stuff on webhostingpad.com (I believe that GoDaddy may have purchased them) and have been on it for the past 10+ years. They run specials periodically where you can get costs down to $1.99/month...which they are actually offering right now, it's on their home page. Performance is good, support is good, never had any real issues.

When I signed up I took it for the longest period they offered - may have been 5 years at the time. Since then I've renewed at the $4.99/month or whatever special they offered at the time.

You need to find a new webmaster now.
Put them in charge.

My advice comes from building websites professionally since 1995.
I was the volunteer webmaster for a decade for afdenver.org

outsource this outside of use GoDaddy and rely on volunteers for web page/web master duties...

So it's more than the cost, and you're quitting anyway? For the cost issues, it's possible Pair could help. I think they've been hosting the perlmonks website for decades for no charge because it's a good cause, and perlmonks is just a Perl programmer message board.

Their FAQs say:

Does Pair Networks offer WordPress-specific hosting plans for non-profits?

We love non-profits! If you're interested in hosting a non-profit with use, please contact our sales team. They'll be able to tell you more about how we can help you.

I'm surprised the OP didn't provide a url to the website, so folks could see how simple/complex the site is.

Hopefully, there are no "secure" (SSL) certificates involved. Sounds like not.

Our campground of 310 units just uses a Facebook group to communicate out information. But their needs are very basic, and hence no webmaster is needed. And it's free!

So it's more than the cost, and you're quitting anyway? For the cost issues, it's possible Pair could help. I think they've been hosting the perlmonks website for decades for no charge because it's a good cause, and perlmonks is just a Perl programmer message board.

Their FAQs say:

You are correct (as well as the posters above), it's not just the money. I have a website for my business and purchase my own domain. I'm my own webmaster and am a bad one. In the case of this organization, as above, we have a diverse set of people with frankly no idea of what it takes to do this job well. I'm hoping to give them a graceful way out - it looks like I'm going to have to pay the yearly fee one more year and then download the content and hand it over. GoDaddy requires auto renew with the credit card, so I had a bit of reprieve as the credit card on it expired.

Now there's not time - the website will be cancelled if I don't pay in two days. Explaining that to the people in the group is difficult at best. They are nice but clueless - 'isn't that just in the cloud' type of BS.

In any case, I do appreciate the options. And I have been adamant about not being webmaster anymore - in writing and directly :)

You might consider advertising for a volunteer webmaster on Voluntermatch.org or similar website. I did this recently for a non-profit I'm involved with and got three responses within a week. Two were out of state, but the third was local.

it looks like I'm going to have to pay the yearly fee one more year and then download the content and hand it over. GoDaddy requires auto renew with the credit card, so I had a bit of reprieve as the credit card on it expired.

Now there's not time - the website will be cancelled if I don't pay in two days.

GoDaddy will sell you one month worth of website hosting. It's probably something like $9.99 a month, but it can be done if you call them up and explain your situation. I would use the additional 30 days as the leverage you need to get this job off your plate. It would be nice to use someone else's credit card for the one month purchase.

Gosh that volunteering sounds a lot like work :(. Just saying.

Good luck on your search for a replacement.

GoDaddy will sell you one month worth of website hosting. It's probably something like $9.99 a month, but it can be done if you call them up and explain your situation. I would use the additional 30 days as the leverage you need to get this job off your plate. It would be nice to use someone else's credit card for the one month purchase.

Sounds like excellent advice.

I built and maintained some pretty sophisticated websites for three different nonprofits for about ten years. Finally had enough and transitioned them over to anyone who would volunteer. They quickly fell into chaos at the hands of rank amateurs, but honestly I had reached my limit. So I completely understand your motivation to get away from it. Best of luck!

Why not tell the President of the Chapter, you need their credit card to renew.
Either they hand it over, or let it go Daddy lapse the domain.

The non-profit can get back the domain within 30 days by paying an extra fee, and then they will understand some things are not free.

Why not tell the President of the Chapter, you need their credit card to renew.
Either they hand it over, or let it go Daddy lapse the domain.

The non-profit can get back the domain within 30 days by paying an extra fee, and then they will understand some things are not free.

+1

I started 2 sites using Club Express, no web expirence needed, common folk can maintain it, but does cost per member.

Content back I created a Google email and back up content to google drive. Shared email with BOD so all can get to info if needed.

Back
Top Bottom