Votes: 26 13.9%
  • Internet Explorer

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 5.9%

• Total voters
iPad & iPhone: Safari primarily, Chrome as a backup
PC: Chrome, but slowly transitioning to Edge

Browse on Vivaldi now that Opera has removed the window title bar from their browser in Linux (I use the title bar to windowshade and move my windows around). Firefox for personal stuff (Gmail, Gdrive, etc). Chrome for work.

lol, edited to add "I can only pick one in the poll?"

I'm going to have to quit IE sometime. I want a browser with a feature or add-on that blocks the local weather from loading on https://news.google.com, like IE's restricted sites does.

Only IE and Opera let you search browsing history (with a search box, not by looking through each entry). I do that all the time. Maybe I'll choose Opera based on that.

I'm going to have to quit IE sometime. I want a browser with a feature or add-on that blocks the local weather from loading on https://news.google.com, like IE's restricted sites does.

Only IE and Opera let you search browsing history (with a search box, not by looking through each entry). I do that all the time. Maybe I'll choose Opera based on that.

I guess I never noticed the weather. How is having the local weather appear a problem?... you can select any location.

By clicking on the 3 dots in the upper right and selecting History>Manage History, one can go back several weeks of Browsing History... or delete all of it. If you know what you are looking, the Search box will quickly find it... even a partial guess is sufficient.

I am pretty happy with Edge.

I guess I never noticed the weather. How is having the local weather appear a problem?... you can select any location.

By clicking on the 3 dots in the upper right and selecting History>Manage History, one can go back several weeks of Browsing History... or delete all of it. If you know what you are looking, the Search box will quickly find it... even a partial guess is sufficient.

I am pretty happy with Edge.

Loading the weather slowed it down. But I see now that I can search in Edge. I think that may be new:confused: And I see Chrome has a search box too. OK, so search isn't an issue except with Firefox.

OK, so search isn't an issue except with Firefox.

Never mind. It's at View History (icon) > History > View History Sidebar

I guess I didn't think "View History Sidebar" would have something that the other two histories didn't.

Others:
Brave (based on Chrome with Googly things stripped out and privacy stuff added)
Tor (based on Firefox with higher privacy, though slower)

I've been doing a little web development for the first time in years, and by years I mean like a decade or more, and my page looked good in Opera, Edge, Firefox, and Chrome. There was one glitch in IE, but I've been getting warnings from various websites about IE being out of date so I'm hoping most people switched.

I feel your pain. I do a bit of web development myself and it can sometimes be a struggle to create web pages that look good in all browsers. IE was always one of the worst offenders for getting things to look right. As another poster mentioned, you have to consider mobile devices too, including smart phones and tablets. Make sure the page adapts to smaller screens, including resizing graphics as needed.

I use Firefox for most day to day browsing, though there are times I'll switch to Chrome if a web site isn't playing nice with Firefox (mostly banking sites). I haven't used Edge much, but it's the default browser that pops up on my laptop or certain operations on my main computer that insist on using it.

I use primarily Edge on my laptop but use Chrome whenever encounter issues with Edge.

I use Safari on my phone.

I feel your pain. I do a bit of web development myself and it can sometimes be a struggle to create web pages that look good in all browsers. IE was always one of the worst offenders for getting things to look right

Now that Edge is based on Chromium, one step closer to better consistency.

Okay, I was curious. I didn't spend (waste?) any time with IE but did look into "Blocking" with Edge. I couldn't find a way to stop the Weather portion of news.google but perhaps you can.

My Google search was this.

In that I found this but, again, maybe you can make it solve your issue:

Block pop-ups in Microsoft Edge
Applies to: Microsoft Edge
To do this:
In the new Microsoft Edge , go to Settings and more > Settings > Site permissions.
Select Pop-ups and redirects.
Move the Block toggle to On.
Note: This topic is for the new Microsoft Edge . Get help for the legacy version of Microsoft Edge .
Last Updated: Jan 15, 2020

I feel your pain. I do a bit of web development myself and it can sometimes be a struggle to create web pages that look good in all browsers. IE was always one of the worst offenders for getting things to look right. As another poster mentioned, you have to consider mobile devices too, including smart phones and tablets. Make sure the page adapts to smaller screens, including resizing graphics as needed.

I was glad to see that the webpage I was editing used conditional comments. They had a bad reputation back when I was really into web development. I was afraid they would be deprecated. And I accidently found the "initial keyword" which theoretically could have helped. I found it no thanks to neither "initial" nor "keywords" appearing in the list to the left on any w3schools page I saw. I want a full index like book indexes had (back in the old days when there were books).

I think I'm OK with resizing. I went through all kinds of trouble to retain the styles of the page I was editing rather than try rebuilding the page from scratch. I wanted to create a single file with the necessary CSS and HTML combined. I initially narrowed down the dozens of style sheets called by the webpage to two. Those two style sheets were 500KB long. To use one of the CSS optimizers that cut unused CSS I had to put the webpage on the web so I signed up with a free website hosting service. Then none of the optimizers worked so I had to slowly scroll through the source code using a developer tool in Chrome and copy and paste the CSS flagged as "used". I can't believe there's not a Chrome feature to do that automatically. I couldn't even enlarge the little console window to a comfortable size. Then I missed something or something wasn't flagged properly so I had to rebuild part of the CSS.

Then I submit it and a few hours later I discover the new (to me) HTML "aside" tag which I should have used.

In the new Microsoft Edge , go to Settings and more > Settings > Site permissions.
Select Pop-ups and redirects.
Move the Block toggle to On.
Note: This topic is for the new Microsoft Edge . Get help for the legacy version of Microsoft Edge .
Last Updated: Jan 15, 2020

I checked and it's already set to blocked but I still see the weather box. And it still seems to be the last element on the page to load.

I checked and it's already set to blocked but I still see the weather box. And it still seems to be the last element on the page to load.

Yeah, it is the last for me also. It is like (whatever the length of an eye blink is called) after everything else... everything else is instant.

Two questions:

What kind of machine do you have that memory is a problem?

How did you get IE to eliminate it? (I looked unsuccessfully)

I mostly use Waterfox which is an offshoot of Firefox but it retained support for some addons that I use all the time and which Firefox abandoned. Also use Chrome but less frequently.

I answered Chrome, which is the default browser on all our PCs and smartphones. I also use Firefox on the PC occasionally. On our Fire TVs, we use the Silk browser, although usually just for a specific local weather radar site.

I haven't used IE since around 2004, when I switched to Firefox. At the time, IE was bloated and Firefox was extremely fast and lightweight. But then FireFox got bloated and I switched to Chrome around 2011. I've used an adblocker on both Chrome and FireFox for as long as I can remember.

I only switched from Win7 to Win10 earlier this year and I've been avoiding Edge, along with all the other Microsoft crap they try to suck you into. But I've read some good things lately about the new Chromium-based version. I notice it got auto-installed with the last Win10 update. I promptly removed it from my desktop, but noticed that uninstalling was not an option.:mad:

Two questions:

What kind of machine do you have that memory is a problem?

It's a bit old and entry level, plus I'm now on DSL. Even when I had a cable modem it was slow. Now on Edge it takes about 5 seconds. Other sites have things that load even slower. I'm just using Google's weather as an indicator that a browser is blocking what I'm used to having blocked. I think all I need blocked is scripts. The source code around the weather box seems to refer to JavaScript. I guess that's what I want blocked from sites I choose.

How did you get IE to eliminate it? (I looked unsuccessfully)

tools > internet options > security > restricted sites > sites then add http://news.google.com

Back when I had DSL, that was horribly slow. Almost made me long for days of dial-up.

I use Chrome on the tower PC for browsing, and Edge on the tower PC for streaming and watching TV. Sometimes I'll also have Firefox running on the tower PC if I don't want to mess with more tabs on Chrome. On DW's laptop she uses Firefox and I use Chrome so we don't mess up each others stuff. One browser does not fit all needs or uses.

Back when I had DSL, that was horribly slow. Almost made me long for days of dial-up.

I have only ever had DSL so (full disclosure) have no frame of reference but... I have no "slowness" issues. I have over 40 devices connect to my router that mostly are Internet connected -- including five computers and three TVs. I have never had an issue directly relating to DSL -- never buffering while streaming all TVs at the same time and websites load within milliseconds. Granted I currently have 50mbps but even back in the 5mbps days, I was not disappointed.

Back
Top Bottom