who loves eReaders and what do you use??

Give me a nicely weighted real paper book with ink printing every time. And pages I can physically turn, and put a bookkmarker in. Electronics just don\t cut it for me when I want to get engrossed in a good book.

Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Thinking of grabbing a Kindle Paperwhite today for my DGF. Is $79.99 the best deal they ever/regularly offer on this device? It's the 8GB model, ad-supported, 6" screen.

I think $79.99 is as good as it gets. I got my Kindle Paperwhite during Prime Day 2017 and it was $89.99, which was a $30 discount off the regular price.

Not sure of my unit's memory capacity. Might be 32GB.

It MIGHT get $5-$10 cheaper for Black Friday (Thanksgiving week) but that requires waiting until the end of November to see IF it gets cheaper (which may or may not be true).

Then there is the time cost of waiting until late November and believe many of us are on this site to get our time "back" by retiring earlier. If you're going to wait until Black Friday you can catchup on a LOT of Netflix shows/movies until then.

Last edited:
Give me a nicely weighted real paper book with ink printing every time. And pages I can physically turn, and put a bookkmarker in. Electronics just don\t cut it for me when I want to get engrossed in a good book.

Well to each his own but that gets harder and more expensive every day and BTW the paper and print aren't what they used to be either.

Give me an e-reader that I can prop up on a rolled up portion of my sheets/blanket and read hands-free in bed. When swiping the pages (instead of turning them) is soundless and doesn't bother my sleeping spouse. And I don't have to have a light on in the room to read.

If I want to go back to the part of the book where a character is first introduced and re-read their physical description I can quickly find that section by using the search function.

Then there is the built-in dictionary. And the foreign phrases translation feature. Built in Wikipedia for looking things up.

All of these things I consider an advantage and allow me to get far more engrossed in the story than a printed page book allows.

Well, I got a Paperwhite awhile back and want to get back and report.
Not too impressed with it and I will be selling it off. I find it incredibly slow and accessing web sites for library book services does not work well. Graphics are not great either. It is more like reading paper books and is nice and light. Anyway, I find myself reaching for my old and slow Fire, over the Paperwhite.

I will likely go for a new Kindle Fire or an iPad.

Not too impressed with it and I will be selling it off. I find it incredibly slow and accessing web sites for library book services does not work well. Graphics are not great either. It is more like reading paper books and is nice and light. Anyway, I find myself reaching for my old and slow Fire, over the Paperwhite.

Yes, a Paperwhite is a book, not a surfing machine. It really shines on reading text, but that’s about it. I love my iPad, but it’s a bit heavy for book reading. Not sure of the weight of a Fire but since you already have one, it might be best just to upgrade with a newer version.

I love my iPad, but it’s a bit heavy for book reading.

FWIW, I recently replaced my old iPad with the new iPad Mini. It's about the same size and weight as a Kindle, and I absolutely love it. My only problem with the old iPad was its weight, but the mini is like a feather in comparison.

I bought a Nook pre-COVID in January, 2020. Genius timing. My local library was closed for renovation and then COVID happened, so I've been happily downloading library books ever since. Even with decent glasses, I find the electronic version less fatiguing to read. Bonus: my granddaughters love it. I'd hoped they'd download high-quality children's literature but they head straight for the licensed characters (mostly Disney Princesses). We do enjoy reading hardcopy books together, too. I seriously considered buying them Nooks, but they're 5 and 7 and we try to limit their screen time.

The only change I'd make is that I'd buy one with more memory since I prefer to download so I can read off-line.

The Paperwhite is great for text and you can't beat the weeks of battery life. I use a Fire for magazines and graphics. The downside is that the Fire won't accommodate my library's magazine app, I can use the web version. I am sticking with the Fire for now but would consider a generic android tablet.

The Paperwhite is great for text and you can't beat the weeks of battery life. I use a Fire for magazines and graphics. The downside is that the Fire won't accommodate my library's magazine app, I can use the web version. I am sticking with the Fire for now but would consider a generic android tablet.

You can load android onto your FIRE, so you can download via the playstore and use android apps.

That's too bad I do all my library browsing and checking out directly from the library site on my desktop.It works smoothly, sorry it didn't work out for you.

I love my iPad mini.

Switched to it years ago from regular size and never looked back.

FWIW, I recently replaced my old iPad with the new iPad Mini. It's about the same size and weight as a Kindle, and I absolutely love it. My only problem with the old iPad was its weight, but the mini is like a feather in comparison.
+1

Last edited:
Another iPad fan. I also use my iPhone when out and about. Books auto sync between devices, which makes it easy to keep
reading.

Blue light from screens isn't great for sleep. There's some apps that shift the color into the red/yellow, and away from blue, when the sun goes down.

Is there an e-reader with an option for amber light?

Blue light from screens isn't great for sleep. There's some apps that shift the color into the red/yellow, and away from blue, when the sun goes down.

The iPad automatically switches to a more yellow light at night, plus you can also turn on night mode for the iBook app to have black background in a dark room.

I'm absolutely sold on the Ipad mini. I read on Kindle an also upload library books from Libby. As well as searching the web, doing e-mail, etc. etc. Perfect bed and coffee house reading size.

I originally bought an iPad mini for Europe travel because my regular iPad was a bit big for my purse and a bit heavy to lug around.

After my first Europe trip with it I stopped using my regular iPad.

I do the bulk of my ebook reading on my ipad, but I get in the hot tub each morning and have a Kindle Paperwhite for that excursion as it is waterproof.

The Kindle app for tablets has this feature. You can set the screen/text to be slightly brown, green, or reversed (white text on black background.)

Some Kindle devices have adjustable lights that can be amber. Look for the ones that say "warm light" in the title https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kindle+warm+light.

They all have LED front lights that shine onto the e-ink screen from the edge of the page instead of from behind it. It's no different to your eyes than having an LED lamp shining on a paper book, so if you're o.k. reading like that at night, then even a kindle with white LEDs should be fine. They also have a dark mode where you can have white text on a black background, but I find myself squinting if I try to use that.

Yes, a Paperwhite is a book, not a surfing machine. It really shines on reading text, but that’s about it. I love my iPad, but it’s a bit heavy for book reading. Not sure of the weight of a Fire but since you already have one, it might be best just to upgrade with a newer version.

I don't surf with it. I just want to connect to my library's access and it can't do it.

I m looking at the Fire 8 or a iPad Mini.

I don't surf with it. I just want to connect to my library's access and it can't do it.

Interesting, my library's system sends borrowed content to Amazon and it downloads in a few seconds

If your library uses Overdrive, you don't use the Kindle to browse or check out the books. You check them out on your computer, phone or tablet and tell Amazon to deliver them to your Kindle for reading.

If you want to interact with the library and read the book on the same device, you are stuck with a backlit screen such as a iPad, phone, Fire, computer, etc.

Interesting, my library's system sends borrowed content to Amazon and it downloads in a few seconds

Yes I only use the wifi on my device to communicate and download my library books from Amazon.

My library has a overdrive page, see if yours has one.

Back
Top Bottom