What do you all do for IoT Security

badatmath

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I made a comment to someone to put the new ring doorbell on guest or otherwise separate it from the network and one of my extremely smart coworkers went on a rant about what bad advice that was.

However, it make me wonder what real people do because not everyone is really needing the level of security he thinks is bare minimum or wants to run cables all over the place.

I looked for a prior thread but didn't see one. I pretty much live in the dark ages myself and don't need to worry about my refrigerator spying on me.

For the most part, we've avoided IoT applications, though I do have Tile Bluetooth finders on my keys and in my backpacks.

OP - You were correct, put it on a the guest network with a strong password. Some people think guest networks should be open, so maybe that's why the rant.

I have all my IOT on the guest network, and don't let my guests on it ! Seriously what guest is looking at their phone when at my place, and they all have data anyhow.

I never really thought about installing them on a guest network. I guess that might work for wireless equipment but what about hard wired gear? Does it allow the doorbell app to access the doorbell via the local network and from outside the network (cellular)?

I have been moving my IOT devices to a separate VLan and establishing Firewall rules to isolate the networks. I have done the same for my security camera system. Most ISP provided equipment won't accommodate this though.

I have a EdgerouterX that is configured to have separate networks, and I have one of those networks designated as IoT. If a device on that network gets compromised the bad guys can't see my regular devices.

The problem, minor problem, is if the IoT device expects controlling/monitoring devices to be on the same network, I need to jump on the IoT segment temporarily.

Another thing I do for Chromecast is to have a separate WiFi router configured as passthrough. This way I don't give it always-on access...I press the power strip and the WiFi and Chromecast go off. Not essential for security, but snoopy Google can't be doing anything without power and without a connection.

Back
Top Bottom