Who wears a Watch

I wore a nice watch in college and first 2-3 years at Megacorp. Then it died and I realized I didn't need a watch. Even before cell phones, clocks were everywhere. I don't wear any rings either and liked not having it strapped to my wrist. So I never wore one after that.

Then in 2014, just out of curiosity, I bought the first generation Moto 360 Android smart watch. I wore it almost everyday for a year or two. Then the battery life started getting bad. So I replaced the battery, which was like a surgical procedure (not intended for consumers). The new battery lasted maybe six months. I get about 3-5 hours before it craps out. I still wear it occasionally when going out, but mostly it just sits on the charger on my bedside table and displays the time if I'm curious in the middle of the night.

Always before I retired...had at least a dozen. Then none for years until the fitbit. Now Apple watches for both of us.

Never have worn a watch. Just like OP I don’t wear anything: watch, ring, bracelet, necklace, etc.

DW does wear watch, she needed it for working as nurse. Now it’s a habit she continues in retirement

I am time-addicted. I become anxious if I cannot easily know what time of day it is. Watch...yes. Cell phone ….yes. Six clocks around the house including microwave, stove, cable box...yes.

DH?......Chicago song "Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is?"

He could not care less about time.....God I love him.

I've always worn one. Never considered stopping when I retired. 95% of the time it's my $25 Timex digital with a stopwatch feature that I use to time workouts. When I (rarely) dress up, I wear one of several nice but not extravagant watches I've picked up or been gifted over the years. A favorite is a Seiko that I bought in SE Asia in the late 60's. Still works fine. It'll probably be ticking longer than I will.

I am the Black Widow of Watches. Watches typically won't keep time for me. They have died many ugly deaths under my - um, watch: battery failure, broken band, broken straps, cracked crystal, etc. A number disappeared under mysterious circumstances, never to be seen again. Some were tossed for not keeping proper time. Several were executed after catching in my hair. :mad:

Also, while I like they way they look, every once in a while, they would make me feel claustrophobic, and I would take them off (notwithstanding I was no where home or near a jewelry box) and start flipping them around. That did not typically end well.

I did not own (and refused to let my husband - a watch lover - buy me) an expensive watch, as I knew it would not end well . . .

Lately, I've depended on my cell phone for time purposes.

If you ever want to pick a fight over on bogleheads, post something about the best watch for $5k. They do not approve. I bought a $42k watch not long ago and thought it was amazing and then sold it for what I paid for it. Was cool to see what a car felt like on my wrist but I was afraid to wear it and it didn't do much for me that my G-Shock didn't do. Not from a technical standpoint, but from a happiness standpoint. I'm hoping this lesson keeps me from buying a Ferrari.

I used to wear watches in my younger days. For Christmas when I was about ten my parents gave me a waterproof watch packaged in a jar of water, which had me shaking the gift-wrapped present for weeks trying to figure out why they thought I wanted cologne at such a young age.

Anyway, for the last decade or so I just couldn't stand to wear anything so I gave them up. I then had to get a cheap watch to wear when working in certain areas that didn't allow cell phones.

Then, last year I got an Apple Watch and love it. I never take it off. The fitness tracker has me hooked and I have to get credit for every possible minute of standing or moving calories. Not sure why, but it keeps me moving,which is a good thing. It's nice to be able to shut up those spam phone calls very quickly using the watch, too.

I never wore a watch my entire life. I have worn an Apple watch every day since the first version came out. But I think that referring to the Apple watch as a "watch" is like referring to an iPhone as a "telephone". I rarely make phone calls on my iPhone and I don't generally care what time it is so I don't pay that much attention to the time on my Apple watch. It's a supercomputer on a wrist that just happens to also tell time. But for everything else that it can do, it's priceless.

I feel naked without a watch. I have eight. I wear all of them somewhat regularly... Garmin Forerunner 235 is my run GPS and activity tracker. I have two Timex Ironman watches I swim with. My most expensive is a $200 citizen “dress” sports watch. I have a funky Fossil, the Sturhling skeleton my wife gave me for our wedding, and a Kenneth Cole sports watch.

My coolest one is either the skeleton or my black and brown Koa wood watch made by a small startup by LSU students. Super lightweight, sharp looking and goes with anything. My wife finds cool stuff.

I like watches.

Delaying gratification on a fancy watch. Someday that’ll probably be a splurge to blow that dough.

Like a ring, a watch has always been uncomfortable, whether it's the weight or the band, just not a fan of accessories. However, there are times I wish I was wearing a watch for ease of telling time, rather than fishing out my phone.

Have a couple just bought a $100 eco drive citizen when i broke my trusty timex.

I have one of these solar-powered watches too and like it a lot. The case and dial are large compared to the Seiko and Victorinox watches I used to wear. I tend to be hard on hand/wrist jewelry (my wedding band is titanium) so I've never spent a lot on timepieces. This Citizen is an expensive watch for me.

Since I spend a lot of time out in the countryside, I'm generally not surrounded by clocks -- and there are occasions when I have to be somewhere at a certain time.

I also like having the time at hand while grilling steaks or other meats. I like to be precise with time and temperature when the fate of a $20/lb. piece of beef hangs in the balance.

Just bought a Fitbit Versa which I love. Doubles as a watch, tracks my steps and heart rate and even tells me the weather before I head off on my daily walk with the dog.

I had a gold and silver Seiko that disappeared mysteriously and replaced it with and gold and silver Timex. Pretty sure I paid about as much for the way cool magnetic stainless steel band as the watch.

I have 3 other wristwatches all with magnetic bands. An all black Waltham, another gold and silver Timex with day of week and date, and an overly ornate Geneva that had the sparkly stone at 8 o'clock dislodge and bounces around inside the case.

None were expensive, and none treated specially. I find I'd rather carry a watch on wrist than have a smart phone in my pocket.

I never wore a watch my entire life. I have worn an Apple watch every day since the first version came out. But I think that referring to the Apple watch as a "watch" is like referring to an iPhone as a "telephone". I rarely make phone calls on my iPhone and I don't generally care what time it is so I don't pay that much attention to the time on my Apple watch. It's a supercomputer on a wrist that just happens to also tell time. But for everything else that it can do, it's priceless.

Me too re never wearing watches, but I didn't get an Apple watch until this spring, to replace a fitbit that did not show the time. I am shocked at how much I love it (pale gray band, the smaller case)

I am time-addicted. I become anxious if I cannot easily know what time of day it is. Watch...yes. Cell phone ….yes. Six clocks around the house including microwave, stove, cable box...yes...
Friends of ours who have been retired for 5 years got a clock from their kids as a present. It is a wall clock that shows 7 days and it counts through each day. We thought it was a riot because we have to check what day it is regularly. Mainly for appointments and to avoid doing workers-type things on the weekend.:dance:

Friends of ours who have been retired for 5 years got a clock from their kids as a present. It is a wall clock that shows 7 days and it counts through each day. We thought it was a riot because we have to check what day it is regularly. Mainly for appointments and to avoid doing workers-type things on the weekend.:dance:

Love it. Always tell DGF we need one.

I stopped wearing watches years ago when carrying cell phones became common as they all had clocks. But - I now wear a Fitbit (usually a Versa, but sometimes an Alta2). Of course, the clock function is not why I wear it but I do sometimes look at the time....

I always wear a watch , usually a cheap Timex . At one time I thought I wanted one of those great big Russian Divers . Everyone asked me why I was wearing an alarm clock on my wrist.

Only when traveling.

Same here. Do not wear it daily, even though it is a $12 Casio digital. I consider a watch only for its function to tell date and time and do not spend money on jewelry.

My FIL gave me a nice seamaster watch that I feel obligated to wear when we see the in-laws. My younger brother decided to get his older (non-watch-wearing) brothers watches this past Christmas. Now I have to remember to wear that every time I see him. Otherwise, the cell phone and the nearly ubiquitous amount of time displays are sufficient for me.

I have worn a watch every day since I was a teenager. I can't imagine not wearing a watch. My current watch, which I have worn for about the last 20 years, is a Timex Expedition. The fanciest watch I ever had was a Seiko. If money were no object, I would have a Patek Phillipe Calatrava.

I have two good friends and they wear watches all there life. I asked the one guy why wear a watch when you have your phone. He said he wears it because he has done it all his life.

Back
Top Bottom