Windows 10 and Internet freezes

statsman

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I am experiencing the occasional and seemingly random "loss" of the Internet connection on my Windows 10 PC. I say "loss" because the browser (and once in a while the mail client) will sort of freeze up and take several seconds to finally load the webpage or complete a connection to the mail server. This has been happening in the three months I have owned the PC. This didn't happen at all with the Windows 7 PC I had previously used on this network for seven months.

Some additional details:

• The PC is connected via Ethernet, a direct line to the U-verse modem. This was the same connection used with the Windows 7 PC.
  • In the settings, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Hotspot are all switched off.
  • Currently used browsers are the latest versions of Firefox and Opera, and the issue pops up on both of them.
I've done a search for Internet suggestions, but they are all over the place. Forget about using Microsoft's forum because they have their playbook, and it starts with checking drives for errors, repairing the operating system, boot up in safe mode, etc.

I've been trying to see if something is running in the background, but it is not easy to catch. The freeze is not very long, but it is long enough that it has been bothering me for quite some time. Since I now have plenty of spare time to try and track this down, I am open to suggestions from the Windows 10 users on the forum.

Note: I am looking to try and locate the issue on this PC, so please don't suggest using Mac or Linux. I already have a backup PC with Linux Mint. Hopefully this will keep any discussion to the topic at hand.

I would look at the modem (internet connection). Lots of overloads to providers right now. Also worth noting that modems and routers can fail....

I am experiencing the occasional and seemingly random "loss" of the Internet connection on my Windows 10 PC. I say "loss" because the browser (and once in a while the mail client) will sort of freeze up and take several seconds to finally load the webpage or complete a connection to the mail server. This has been happening in the three months I have owned the PC. This didn't happen at all with the Windows 7 PC I had previously used on this network for seven months.

Some additional details:

• The PC is connected via Ethernet, a direct line to the U-verse modem. This was the same connection used with the Windows 7 PC.
  • In the settings, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and Hotspot are all switched off.
  • Currently used browsers are the latest versions of Firefox and Opera, and the issue pops up on both of them.
I've done a search for Internet suggestions, but they are all over the place. Forget about using Microsoft's forum because they have their playbook, and it starts with checking drives for errors, repairing the operating system, boot up in safe mode, etc.

I've been trying to see if something is running in the background, but it is not easy to catch. The freeze is not very long, but it is long enough that it has been bothering me for quite some time. Since I now have plenty of spare time to try and track this down, I am open to suggestions from the Windows 10 users on the forum.

Note: I am looking to try and locate the issue on this PC, so please don't suggest using Mac or Linux. I already have a backup PC with Linux Mint. Hopefully this will keep any discussion to the topic at hand.

My Music studio PC was doing that after Windows 10 updated. My boot time also increased significantly. Other people were reporting that issue also with the recent (March 2020) updates:

https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-10-updates-could-now-slow-down-your-pc-heres-how-to-fix-them

I uninstalled some of the updates and the issue went away. I also paused updates for the next 4 weeks on that computer.

I would look at the modem (internet connection). Lots of overloads to providers right now. Also worth noting that modems and routers can fail....
I get that the Internet is being overrun with people stuck at home. But I was having this problem back in early January when most everyone was working and the kids were at school. Also, the wireless network on the combo modem/router doesn't seem to have this problem with my DW on her tablet quite often. Same goes for the TV service (one DVR and one STB) that are connected to the modem/router.

My Music studio PC was doing that after Windows 10 updated. My boot time also increased significantly. Other people were reporting that issue also with the recent (March 2020) updates:

https://www.techradar.com/news/windows-10-updates-could-now-slow-down-your-pc-heres-how-to-fix-them

I uninstalled some of the updates and the issue went away. I also paused updates for the next 4 weeks on that computer.
I've heard some have had issues after upgrading to Windows 10. In my case, this is a new PC with Windows 10 installed.

I will take a look at the link and see if something is there. Pausing updates (for me) doesn't seem like a good idea since I log into important accounts on this PC, and I would like it to be up-to-date on security patches.

I should also note I haven't had one BSOD on this PC. Since it is a fairly new PC that I've tried to install only applications I intend to use, boot-up times are pretty quick, although if the external USB drive I keep connected goes to sleep, there is a time lag until the drive wakes up.

Last edited:
If a new laptop, go to Windows Button > Settings button

At the top of the window that opens type "Startup".

Find Startup Apps in the search results.

See what apps are starting. You may have trials of virus protection.

This could simply be internet usage related. As mentioned, big demand right now.

If you right mouse click on the toolbar and choose "Task Manager" you can see which apps are using memory and processor.

What DNS servers are you using?
For the Ethernet network (Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller), The Internet Protocol is set to "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically". I haven't booted it up, but I believe my Windows 7 PC was defaulted to the same.

For the Ethernet network (Killer E2400 Gigabit Ethernet Controller), The Internet Protocol is set to "Obtain DNS Server Address Automatically". I haven't booted it up, but I believe my Windows 7 PC was defaulted to the same.
In a command window in Windows, try "ipconfig -all" without quotes. That will give you information on all the adapters. The DNS server IP addresses will be listed.

If a new laptop, go to Windows Button > Settings button

At the top of the window that opens type "Startup".

Find Startup Apps in the search results.

See what apps are starting. You may have trials of virus protection.

This could simply be internet usage related. As mentioned, big demand right now.

If you right mouse click on the toolbar and choose "Task Manager" you can see which apps are using memory and processor.
It's a desktop PC. No trial versions of virus protection are running. I uninstalled it immediately before installing the one I'm using. Much of the bloat added to the PC by Dell I attempted to uninstall or disable. About the only application that seems to come and go under Task Manager is the Microsoft Windows Search Indexer. Not sure how this would cause Firefox to hang for several seconds before loading a webpage.

In a command window in Windows, try "ipconfig -all" without quotes. That will give you information on all the adapters. The DNS server IP addresses will be listed.
Hmmm. The DNS Server IP address is the same as the Default Gateway IP address. Note this is for AT&T U-verse.

That may be the address of your router, which is probably getting DNS information from whatever address AT&T provides to your router. Your old PC may or may not have done the same.

You can probably change the DNS address to something more direct, such as 1.1.1.1 on your PC or on your router. There are a number of DNS resolvers to choose from.

I suspect there's only a slim chance that this will resolve your issue.

From the broadband status window of the modem/router:

Primary DNS 68.94.156.9
Secondary DNS 68.94.157.9

That may be the address of your router, which is probably getting DNS information from whatever address AT&T provides to your router. Your old PC may or may not have done the same.
The Windows 7 PC was obtaining this information from the modem/router also.

According to the modem/router status, there have been zero (0) transmit and receive drops and errors. The modem/router has been up for 44+ straight days.

EDIT: It took about 10-15 seconds for *this* response to post on the forum (without this EDIT comment). Normally, it is almost immediate. That's the issue I have been experiencing.

Last edited:
What is sticking in my head is a bad gateway somewhere, or a bad cached route in the modem, router or PC.
Changing DNS can send you through a better route.
Clearing all route on your LAN might help.

There can be other reasons...
Modem or router is out of date, and needs updating.
Windows bug.
Local interference like microwave or phone.
Etc.

It could be hardware related. I have a WiFi dongle that needs to be unplugged/replugged now and then to fix things.

It could be hardware related. I have a WiFi dongle that needs to be unplugged/replugged now and then to fix things.
This would impact the Ethernet connection to the modem/router?

This would impact the Ethernet connection to the modem/router?
I would try to unplug the modem and router and let it reset. Sometimes the cable company pushes out updates to the modem, at least when I had cable Internet that is how it was.

Just pondering this a bit further. If it is Win10 related make sure the drivers for the Ethernet are current. Also make sure the BIOS is updated to the newest version.

I have been having a similar problem intermittently with my desktop when running chrome or Firefox I get a "resolving host delay" that takes 30+ seconds for the web page to load.

I usually do a DNS flush and it would be fine for a while. Sometimes I reboot the machine and the it goes away.

I was having frequent network issues, but just chalked it up to ISP problems. Then my laptop started freezing up, and a few weeks later started throwing BSOD joy. There was a message one time about checking disk drive cables, so I thought maybe I was having hardware problems. I backed up everything that I could, and stripped down the files left on the computer. And ordered a SSD for it that was twice as large as the existing HDD. Finally received all the parts, and was able to clone the HDD to the SSD. Swapped the drives, and it is like a new laptop! Very fast to boot up, no system freezes, and no network problems since. Also, there were a few programs that needed a refresh on a licnse, but basically all the programs were still there and functional.

So I don't know if there were network problems or if it was all drive related. I will say this- if you are still using a HDD in your laptop, it was an easy swap and huge performance increase.

So I don't know if there were network problems or if it was all drive related. I will say this- if you are still using a HDD in your laptop, it was an easy swap and huge performance increase.
Well, for me, it's a desktop PC, built late last year, and the OS drive is a 512 GB SSD with a 2 TB HDD for data. It's been doing this for three months. Probably more obvious now that I'm stuck at home except for the weekly grocery store trip. I really do miss my Windows 7 PC.

I power cycled the modem/router several hours ago, and for the first 90 minutes or so, I didn't observe any Internet freezing. I went to post on this thread that information and to indicate I would watch it when my post attempt produced an error (503 or 504). Sure enough, when I tried to refresh another tab for a different website, it timed out. Same thing for my 3rd tab. Took close to a minute to get the Internet connection back. BTW, the network icon in the system tray didn't show the network as being disconnected.

The search continues ... :(

Last edited:
I've had the problem, and never could determine why it went away.

I would try:
- enter different DNS servers in the modem or router
- flushdns https://www.technipages.com/flush-and-reset-the-dns-resolver-cache-using-ipconfig
- empty browser cache
- reboot everything

Open one browser without any previous tabs. Sometimes there may be a turkey in there that holds up resolving other sites. So test with just one window.

Well, for me, it's a desktop PC, built late last year, and the OS drive is a 512 GB SSD with a 2 TB HDD for data. It's been doing this for three months. Probably more obvious now that I'm stuck at home except for the weekly grocery store trip. I really do miss my Windows 7 PC.

I power cycled the modem/router several hours ago, and for the first 90 minutes or so, I didn't observe any Internet freezing. I went to post on this thread that information and to indicate I would watch it when my post attempt produced an error (503 or 504). Sure enough, when I tried to refresh another tab for a different website, it timed out. Same thing for my 3rd tab. Took close to a minute to get the Internet connection back. BTW, the network icon in the system tray didn't show the network as being disconnected.

The search continues ... :(
Check this site. It shows how to use tracert
https://www.howtogeek.com/134132/how-to-use-traceroute-to-identify-network-problems/

Back
Top Bottom