windows 11 desktop build

Ready-4-ER-at-14

Full time employment: Posting here.
Hi, I have been resisting but really want to put win 11 on my desktop.

My desktop is dated but perfect for what I do which is mainly simple excel work, tax program, and a little cut and paste from financial sites. I have a linux laptop for just web browsing. (lovingly nicknamed virus 1.. lol)

It is souple up a little with 2 fanless display cards that run 4 monitors, and yes i use them daily and always around tax time. I prefer the open bay front desktop as I keep multiple backups and have the swing open swap bays, 2 @3/ 1/2" and two smaller ones that ift into the 3 /12" bays for laptop and ssd drive backup.

I currently have 16 gb of ram so would want at least that.

I used to be able to find bare bone pc's that would work but they seem pretty pricey lately if win 11 capable.

So open to suggestions on a motherboard cpu combo that would do win 11 and have a couple video slots at least 4 or 5 drive capability (1 dvd maybe).

I have even thought about buying a win11 system and moving the guts into my desktop but few sites really tell you about what slots the MB have.

It's not urgent that i do it immediately as I doubt if tax programs are win 11 ready yet and even if they are if the state filing systems are.

Any suggestion that you have done successfully, or a prior thread, would be helpful. Thanks.

It's been a while since I have built a desktop but have built many over the years. Once you are away from this stuff, you lose touch. Here's a site you may get some ideas from:

https://pcpartpicker.com/

Hope this helps.

aja

Win 11 works on any hardware if you do a workaround. I have a Core 2 Duo from Q1'08 with a 64gb SSD and it runs fine.

Win 11 works on any hardware if you do a workaround. I have a Core 2 Duo from Q1'08 with a 64gb SSD and it runs fine.

But will Microsoft come out with an update that invalidates the workaround? I would think if they went to the trouble of putting in the necessity to have newer hardware supporting the secure boot/TPM/etc they want, it would make sense that they would look to invalidate the workaround. Such a workaround, clearly obviates the security framework they intended to have in place.

Last edited:
But will Microsoft come out with an update that invalidates the workaround? I would think if they went to the trouble of putting in the necessity to have newer hardware supporting the secure boot/TPM/etc they want, it would make sense that they would look to invalidate the workaround. Such a workaround, clearly obviates the security framework they intended to have in place.
I would just go back to Win 10 LTSC with support to 2032. I doubt they would hard lock the software, it would upset a lot of people.

I've decided to wait before redoing my desktop build to accommodate Win11. I was a slow adopter of Win7 over XP and of Win10 over Win7. I have no regrets. In several years when support for Win10 ends, that's when I'll switch to hardware that supports Win11. By that time, the competition between AMD and Intel may have altered the landscape once again (currently, it looks like AMD has the upper hand in cost effectiveness.)

I was playing around with Win 11. They have made it super easy to run Ubuntu. Just go to Powershell in Admin mode and type "wsl --install" (wsl = Windows Subsystem for Linux). It downloads everything and when you reboot you set your name and password. Then you have a working Ubuntu terminal. "sudo apt update" then "sudo apt upgrade" updates the system.
Want to install firefox? type "sudo apt install firefox", to run it type "firefox". The universe of Linux apps can run in Windows, which is very cool. They say it is only maybe 2% slower than bare metal.

Thanks for the ideas. That was a nice link aja re the build site. I didn't see the OS option there for win 11 though.

Re the work around, I want to get the upgraded hardware in the hopes it is more secure at least for a while. I've always been satisfied with the OS I've had since early dos days and windows 3.1 though too. lol.

This link shows the Windows 11 workaround the TPM requirement.
I have installed Win11 in Virtualbox. The screens open quickly. The look is better then the current look. They moved around some screens but otherwise not much has changed. I bet Microsoft will cave on the TPM as most people will not buy a new pc just for a minor upgrade.

How to install Microsoft Windows 11 on VirtualBox!
https://blogs.oracle.com/virtualization/post/install-microsoft-windows-11-on-virtualbox

open to suggestions on a motherboard cpu combo that would do win 11 and have a couple video slots at least 4 or 5 drive capability (1 dvd maybe).

I recently rebuilt my desktop computer so I could upgrade to Windows 11. I upgraded the hardware first, then upgraded Win10 to Win11. There were several things I didn't like about Win11, so I reverted back to Win10 after the first week. However, my computer was about six years old anyway, so I figured it was a good time to upgrade. I bought:

MSI Z590-A PRO motherboard
Intel i5-11400 CPU
Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM
Samsung EVO 970 2TB M.2 SSD drive
Corsair RM650x power supply
Noctua NF-F12 case fan
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition CPU cooler

LG WH14NS40 BluRay/DVD drive (replaced an identical drive that burned up)

I kept my existing 2.5" Samsung 2TB EVO 860 SSD drive (SATA) for my personal data, and moved my old 256GB SSD boot drive and 1TB SSD video drive data to partitions on the new M.2 drive. It took a bit of work to get the drives reformatted as GPT drives and shuffle the data around with backups and restores, but it works great now. Windows booted right up without even having to reinstall any of my applications. I just had to confirm the registration with my Microsoft account (I had previously used the free upgrade from Win7).

I reused my existing Gigabyte tower case. I think this is the third rebuild I have done in this same case. I'll leave the see through cases and LED lights for the kiddies.

I also kept my old Asus GTX750-DCSL-2GD5 fan less video card. It's six years old, but it is completely silent. I don't play games so it's more than adequate for my basic computing and video editing. Quiet operation is worth far more to me than all out performance.

After the rebuild I was able to sell my old 256GB SSD, 1 TB SSD, and the old motherboard/CPU combo on eBay. The total cost of my rebuild (after selling old parts) was only around $300 or so. Not bad.

The new i5-11400 CPU combo is a bit faster than my old i7-4790K CPU, but I can't really tell much difference in daily use outside of running benchmark programs.

The new m.2 drive is noticeably faster than my SATA drives. But again, it's not a huge difference outside of benchmarking. It helps a little with video processing, but it doesn't really matter to me if a video takes 22 minutes to process instead of 30. Start it, leave it, come back later.

My Samsung EVO 860 SSD drive (SATA) is only a few years old and still shows 99% in Crystal Disk Info. However, when I finally decide to replace it I will probably opt for another m.2 drive. They are faster than SATA, mount right to the motherboard, and would eliminate a power and data cable inside the case.

Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom