Would Like Input Regarding Cheap Refurb Win10 Computers

I've purchased a refurb desktop and laptop in the past from HP and Lenovo a few years ago, they're still in service at my house. Until last December, I was running a home-built i5-6500 with 16 MB computer as my main computer for over 7 years. It's still running fine as my new media server. I would have no qualms buying the OptiPlex i5-6500 computer you linked from MicroCenter.

As to getting a mini PC, to get one with a decent CPU and dual monitor output, it's over $300. I worry about heat with these little boxes.

I have a mini-PC with 3 monitor output (2 HDMI and one VGA, but I am only using one) for over a year, and heat is not an issue at all.

Amazon has a lot of them in the $150 range, +/- based on memory and storage. I payed about $170 for mine back then.

Amazon also has a lot of good HP or Dell refurbs for $100-$150, some bundled with keyboard and/or mouse. Since HP and Dell are big in corporations, these are likely former corporate machines and in good condition.

My current thinking is to scavenge components out of my old Win7 machine and build a mid-tower PC. I can take the 750 watt gold plus fully modular power supply and possibly my mid-range graphic card. I have plenty of keyboards and mice, as well as speakers.

I'm going to price out some components and see how it compares to buying something new.

The desktops and tower PCs in use in my home I have built, mostly for the experience and not always to save money :LOL:. You will have to ensure than your graphic card is compatible with modern motherboards. I hear "Win 7" machine and assume (Perhaps incorrectly) a very old system. Those usually used graphic card slots that do not exist on modern motherboards. Also if your existing keyboards and mice are not USB you may have to get adapters or get new ones, as most modern motherboards have dropped the old mice/keyboard ports and replaced them with additional USB ports.

I always buy refurbed for my own use, both desktop and laptop models. Have had good luck with Dell as well as Lenovo, which is my current desktop PC. Used to use TigerDirect but they went out of business, which surprised me since they seemed to be successful. But there are plenty of reputable refurbed providers so that shouldn't be an issue. That price is pretty good since you get a goodly amount of memory and an SSD drive, which is the only way to go nowadays.

Here is the review for the one I got for $160 on Amazon Renewed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unit was Brand New
Reviewed in the United States on July 11, 2023
Verified Purchase
When I opened the case there was not a speck of dust on the fan blades or anywhere. I ran HD Sentinel which showed Zero hours on the HD. This unit must have been sitting on a shelf and never put in to service. The bios was set to legacy boot so it wouldn't boot till I changed it to UEFI. I had to find and instal video drivers for the HD7500 to get HDMI sound and proper resolution. AMD only listed legacy drivers and Catalyst Software for HD7510, but they work fine. Setting this rig up is not for a novice. That said I am still giving it 5 stars since it is brand new.

Price went up but it is still a steal :)

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiple...08L42TQW4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

The way it works in my house, is when DH needs/wants a new PC, I get his prior. So right now, his is about 2 years old, mine about 5. We don't go much older as we both have gaming rigs and need better hw than the OP. But just to plant the seed, maybe her "re-furb" can be his, and he can go new?

Here is the review for the one I got for $160 on Amazon Renewed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unit was Brand New
Reviewed in the United States on July 11, 2023
Verified Purchase
When I opened the case there was not a speck of dust on the fan blades or anywhere. I ran HD Sentinel which showed Zero hours on the HD. This unit must have been sitting on a shelf and never put in to service. The bios was set to legacy boot so it wouldn't boot till I changed it to UEFI. I had to find and instal video drivers for the HD7500 to get HDMI sound and proper resolution. AMD only listed legacy drivers and Catalyst Software for HD7510, but they work fine. Setting this rig up is not for a novice. That said I am still giving it 5 stars since it is brand new.

Price went up but it is still a steal :)

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiple...08L42TQW4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I think most renewed are due to HD failures. I have a very similar renewed model from amazon and it's been great.

Back
Top Bottom