Air travel during Covid times

We have taken six flights over the past 18 months all to/from LAX and FLL. Two over them were before we got vaccinated and the rest after vaccination. The first two were to a completely desolate airport at FLL with dozens of aircraft parked by the runways.. The more recent flights had more traffic at the FLL. Despite the media reports on unruly passengers, we only witnessed one case where a woman was removed from the plane for reusing to wear a mask over her face. All other flights were uneventful other than people coughing throughout the flight. We only fly business/first class and fares were much lower than in the past which is a good thing. I'm not crazy about wearing an N95 mask from the time I enter the airport to leaving the destination airport but this is the new norm. We are looking for tickets for later in the year.

We just got into Berlin a couple of hours ago--thru Amsterdam on KLM. They were.only offering a cookie and water, tea.or coffee for a snack. Dinner was a 4 inch tray of broccoli, mystery chicken and mashed potatoes. The coffee was only 4 ounces. Breakfast was.a.Chibatta roll with egg. None of.the food was.edible even.

They asked customers not to walk around the.plane.and stay out of their.kitchen. And.masks were to be worn at.all times. We essentially had zero contact with.their employees.

I.always thought of KLM to be a good.airline, but Covid made them completely impersonal. I suspect other airlines to follow.

I just finished a long weekend trip by plane. 2 flights each way, each under 2 hrs with just a few seats open on ~50 seat planes. Each flight mentioned the mask wearing requirement, one in particular really emphasized it. Seemed like a couple people each flight simply didn't wear their masks, and a few not covering their noses.

I had to get a rapid COVID test to visit my parents, it came back negative, of course. Visited with a lot of family, about 20 people, over the weekend. I think all but one 14 yr old niece and three toddlers were vaccinated.

Last couple of days I've had a sore throat and a bit of a cough. Some loss of taste but I've taken a lot of Zicam and that does it to me too. It feels more like a cold but I'm getting another test tomorrow since I was exposed a lot more than usual. I was hoping that the mask wearing and other measures would keep me from getting colds and flus as well as covid.

As far as the "gate fleas" comment goes, as long as the airlines allow carry-ons I'm usually going to be boarding with my correctly sized bag and my laptop bag, and I will board when my group is called. Name calling with not stop me. I've had luggage lost enough to not want to check a bag if I don't have to.

As far as the "gate fleas" comment goes, as long as the airlines allow carry-ons I'm usually going to be boarding with my correctly sized bag and my laptop bag, and I will board when my group is called. Name calling with not stop me. I've had luggage lost enough to not want to check a bag if I don't have to.
If you don't get in the way before your group is called, I wouldn't call you a gate flea. The real fleas are the ones that are in the "cheap seats" that stand up cluster around where the line starts, even though they're going to be the last to board.

I've flown seven times during covid. No real issues. I have no problem with the mask and so far I have not had the usual travel cold I would get in the past. I do try to keep my distance as much as possible. I am vaccinated and will get my booster when eligible.

My (anecdotal) impression is that the airlines are doing an outstanding job. Since the pandemic began, I've taken a total of 12 flights, adding up to 44 hours flying time, and apart from the discomfort of wearing a mask the experience has been fine.

I'm not ready for international travel yet, and probably won't consider that for another year, but domestic air travel has been excellent.

We've been flying internationally between the US and UK. My own opinion is that the inside of an international flight is about safest place around as 100% of people have been covid tested before boarding, the air recirculates constantly, and for the most part everyone is masked.

The Brits are changing their rules to require testing after arriving in the UK for vaccinated people which will knock that safety margin back a good bit, but I'm still not going to be overly concerned about it.

We just got into Berlin a couple of hours ago--thru Amsterdam on KLM. They were.only offering a cookie and water, tea.or coffee for a snack. Dinner was a 4 inch tray of broccoli, mystery chicken and mashed potatoes. The coffee was only 4 ounces. Breakfast was.a.Chibatta roll with egg. None of.the food was.edible even.

They asked customers not to walk around the.plane.and stay out of their.kitchen. And.masks were to be worn at.all times. We essentially had zero contact with.their employees.

I.always thought of KLM to be a good.airline, but Covid made them completely impersonal. I suspect other airlines to follow.

Interesting. I’ve always liked KLM, and really like their business class product to Europe. Did you get your KLM house full of gin?

I'm not a fan of traveling by air, but it has nothing to do with COVID. DW and I just flew to Alaska and back, and it was okay - I wouldn't call it a pleasant experience, but they (Delta airlines) got us there and back safely, and reasonably on time. They're doing the best they can with the COVID safety protocols, and that's about all you can ask. I had no worries about coming down with COVID as a result of the trip.

My last UA flight, I wouldn't exactly say FAs were impersonal, but following beverage service and pay-for-lunch service, they all but disappeared. They hung out at the back of the plane for most of the flight - only answering the "bell" for the most part. YMMV

It's just a matter of time before TSA mandates vax for air travel in domestic US and incoming international. It's the 'power' thing going on now, IMHO. Cheers, I'll drive.

My wife and I have only flown twice since this ordeal began. My experience (flying United) was that the airline staff were all talk an no action. Plenty of announcements on the plane to wear and stay masked, and no action to ensure folks complied. We were pretty disappointed and it certainly impacted our willingness to fly again.

I didn’t mean to de-rail this thread, but my wife and I are flying to Mexico later this year (Delta flight to Cancun), and am wondering how flying has been / how Mexico has been when you arrive / depart. I assume the resorts are offering COVID tests the day before departure?

DW & I are Mexico residents and travel regularly to & from Mexico. Since you are traveling later this year, the following may or may not apply. COVID testing may or may not be offered at a resort. If not, you can get tested at many pharmacies and at certain airports in Mexico.

https://cms.volaris.com/en/travel-i...W&sc_llid=28039&ems_cid=2806838&&sc_customer=

I would highly suggest creating accounts for yourselves with Vuelo Seguro and complete the brief questionnaire in advance of your arrival to Mexico and prior to your return flight to the U.S. Otherwise, you may find yourselves turned back at customs upon arrival in Mexico until you complete the questionnaire and also at the security checkpoint at your departing airport in Mexico. It'll save you some hassle and headache.

https://cancunairport.net/vuela-seguro-mexico-health-declaration-form-for-air-travel/

In a few weeks I'll most likely fly from FL to NY to visit family; first time since the world changed :) Anyway, I'll be wearing an N95 the whole way which are finally available on Amazon. Just sitting down and not exerting myself, I find the N95 do-able (I wear it in doctor's offices as well). And I use my KN95 as a more comfortable backup.

Rich

It's just a matter of time before TSA mandates vax for air travel in domestic US and incoming international. It's the 'power' thing going on now, IMHO. Cheers, I'll drive.

Heh, heh, unfortunately, they don't have the bridge done for me yet. I'm vax'd anyway.

Last couple of days I've had a sore throat and a bit of a cough. Some loss of taste but I've taken a lot of Zicam and that does it to me too. It feels more like a cold but I'm getting another test tomorrow since I was exposed a lot more than usual. I was hoping that the mask wearing and other measures would keep me from getting colds and flus as well as covid.
Negative.

This X2! Pre-COVID I traveled alloottt for work,and I would say ~ 90% of the time we ran out of overhead space before everyone boarded. If the airlines addressed this problem (without charging people), that would go a long way to fixing the “gate flea” problem.

I didn’t mean to de-rail this thread, but my wife and I are flying to Mexico later this year (Delta flight to Cancun), and am wondering how flying has been / how Mexico has been when you arrive / depart. I assume the resorts are offering COVID tests the day before departure?

We went in March and it was fairly painless at the CUN airport. Getting though immigration was breeze and the main wait was getting the bags at baggage claim. Travel back to the US was fairly easy too, most hotels/resorts have the testing available (about $40usd a test) and if all else fails, you can test at the airport. We are getting ready to go back and a couple we will meet while there arrived yesterday and said everything was still A-OK getting through immigration.

If you don't get in the way before your group is called, I wouldn't call you a gate flea. The real fleas are the ones that are in the "cheap seats" that stand up cluster around where the line starts, even though they're going to be the last to board.

Exactly. The ones who are in group 19, yet are standing in the boarding line 10 minutes before the boarding begins. :mad:

DW & I are Mexico residents and travel regularly to & from Mexico. Since you are traveling later this year, the following may or may not apply. COVID testing may or may not be offered at a resort. If not, you can get tested at many pharmacies and at certain airports in Mexico.

https://cms.volaris.com/en/travel-i...W&sc_llid=28039&ems_cid=2806838&&sc_customer=

I would highly suggest creating accounts for yourselves with Vuelo Seguro and complete the brief questionnaire in advance of your arrival to Mexico and prior to your return flight to the U.S. Otherwise, you may find yourselves turned back at customs upon arrival in Mexico until you complete the questionnaire and also at the security checkpoint at your departing airport in Mexico. It'll save you some hassle and headache.

https://cancunairport.net/vuela-seguro-mexico-health-declaration-form-for-air-travel/

Were you able to show the questionnaire via the app to the immigration officials? We printed off paper copies, but if they will take a screenshot/QR code at the check point, we would much prefer this.

I flew first class last Sept. because I thought it would be safer but the guy sitting next to me ordered a cocktail and then used "I'm drinking" as his excuse to keep his mask off the entire flight. I kept my mask on and face against the window the whole flight. Guess you can only control your own behavior. Keep your mask on as much as you can and try to social distance at airport and you should be ok.

I flew first class last Sept. because I thought it would be safer but the guy sitting next to me ordered a cocktail and then used "I'm drinking" as his excuse to keep his mask off the entire flight. I kept my mask on and face against the window the whole flight. Guess you can only control your own behavior. Keep your mask on as much as you can and try to social distance at airport and you should be ok.

Ah, simple...just point the gasper air [-]fart deflector[/-] full blast towards the offender. :D:D:D

Just flew from Newark to West Palm Beach, Fl today on United.
The airline is doing a very good job with safety. From expedited boarding, we got on with group 2 and it was only about 10 minutes until the door was closed, to being airborne within 5 minutes of the door closing. Fast easy flight….maybe 2:40 in total on the plane until we got off. Mask wearing was adhered to by all passengers around me. No lines at Lavatories. Drink service was fast and efficient. Deplaning was fast with few standing before their row was ready to get up.
Very orderly and felt comfortable the whole time.

This X2! Pre-COVID I traveled alloottt for work,and I would say ~ 90% of the time we ran out of overhead space before everyone boarded. If the airlines addressed this problem (without charging people), that would go a long way to fixing the “gate flea” problem.

We went back in April with this experience...

"So an update on the extra hassle of getting back to the US. We stayed at an AI the last 3 nts and they provided us with a test through Hospiten. The process...

Set up an appointment with the testing (Tuesday at 11:20)
Get tested and asked us to return to our room for an hour (if no call, you are negative)
Go to pick up papers at 7pm from the front desk
Download Verifly app
Document everything including the picture of your results document
Wait for the "all clear" from Verifly (overnight)
Do multiple documents for Mexico

We probably used 4-5 hours total for the vacation. Worth it? Yeah, for us.

We did see a testing location in town if we had decided to stay in the hotel we were in. Antigen testing is about $25..."

Don't know if this has changed, but it was pretty painless.

Back
Top Bottom