Another wave. Here we go again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the Washington Post, April 29:

"Covid deaths no longer overwhelmingly among the unvaccinated as toll on elderly grows"

"The vaccinated made up 42 percent of fatalities in January and February during the highly contagious omicron variant’s surge, compared with 23 percent of the dead in September, the peak of the delta wave, according to nationwide data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention analyzed by The Post. The data is based on the date of infection and limited to a sampling of cases in which vaccination status was known."

Boosters help, but they are no guarantee.

Right, obviously there are never any guarantees when it comes to COVID, but this quote from the Washington Post is exactly the kind of vague information I was referring to. For example, they said 42 percent of fatalities were among unvaccinated patients... but were they boosted? How many of those were fully vaccinated but elderly, or hypertensive, or obese, or diabetics, or heavy smokers, or immunocompromised? These kinds of details matter.

but this quote from the Washington Post is exactly the kind of vague information I was referring to. For example, they said 42 percent of fatalities were among unvaccinated patients

It looks like it was actually 42% among the "vaccinated".

You're definitely have better protection against COVID variants if you're vaccinated, boosted, and even twice-boosted if eligible.

I've had my second booster, but I don't wear a mask except into health care facilities. There are few people wearing masks out in public here.

Last edited:
I just got back from a graduation ceremony that was indoors, full capacity. I wore my N95. I say about 1 percent of people there wore masks. Me being one of them. Everyone has to make their own calculation. For me, I'm not ready for thousands gathered indoors, people screaming out names as graduates, despite me being double boosted.

DH and I are heading to one next week. We assume it will be indoors and we will be masked, N95 or KN95 even though we're double boosted.

I am glad skipro is doing better and is back on the Forum, what a scary time for him. I also appreciate disneysteve telling us about the surge he is seeing.

I am trying to not overreact or get depressed about the numbers. DH is immune compromised and takes methotrexate and Humira. Until just a few months ago we had been pretty much isolated even though we had been fully vaxxed and boosted. We are both extroverts and found that the isolation was making us both very depressed. Just in the last few months we have started being among people again (we still wear our K94s indoors and rarely eat inside restaurants). DH investigated getting Evushield but before he had that done his doctor had him have his antibodies tested, his antibodies were high so the doctor said he did not need Evushield.

My 90 year old mother had Covid back in February (she was vaccinated and had 1 booster), was not very sick but developed pretty severe brain fog, I thought she had dementia. Then she had her second booster and suddenly her brain fog started to lift and her mind seems much better. I know this is anecdotal, but for anyone with Covid brain fog, they might want to get a booster to see if it helps.

I dread the thought that DH and I may have to go back into isolation. I just don't think our psyches can take it.

Just like my DW, harlee.

skyking, has your wife had her Covid antibodies checked? We were pleasantly surprised that the antibody test showed that DH's Covid antibodies were high even though he takes these immune suppressing drugs. He had the antibody test 2 months after his second Moderna booster. As far as we know neither of us have had Covid. We have not had any sickness since Covid began--no colds, no sinus infection, no flu, no stomach virus, etc which has been a silver lining. Before Covid when we were living a normal life DH was sick frequently with colds, flu, etc. For sure in the future (probably forever) we are going to wear good masks when in crowded indoor situations.

My 90 year old mother had Covid back in February (she was vaccinated and had 1 booster), was not very sick but developed pretty severe brain fog, I thought she had dementia. Then she had her second booster and suddenly her brain fog started to lift and her mind seems much better. I know this is anecdotal, but for anyone with Covid brain fog, they might want to get a booster to see if it helps.
That’s very interesting and implies that she had some lingering virus (hadn’t completely cleared the virus) and the booster helped her clear it. Brain fog
appears to be a common long Covid symptom.

That’s very interesting and implies that she had some lingering virus (hadn’t completely cleared the virus) and the booster helped her clear it. Brain fog
appears to be a common long Covid symptom.

That is what her doctor thinks. Even though my mother tested negative several weeks after Covid she may still have had some virus and the booster helped clear it. In any event she her mind seems to be much improved after the second booster and I am so grateful. I thought we were going to have to insist she quit driving and maybe she was even going to have to move to Memory Care.

This guy is a pharmaceutical researcher who's been blogging about covid and all other topics about drug R&D for years.

He finally got covid, after turning 60 and decided to take Paxlovid.

His goal is to reduce viral load and reduce the time the virus can spread throughout his body.

https://www.science.org/content/blog-post/paxlovid-personally

Covid risk varies widely throughout the country. There is no need to become scared by stories from places where you do not live or plan to travel.

Covidactnow.org is an excellent site where you can assess and track covid in your own county.

Things may be better or worse than you think but the info is readily available.

Covid risk varies widely throughout the country. There is no need to become scared by stories from places where you do not live or plan to travel.

Ha well, I live in FL, and we usually lead the way on upward trends...

Re the "vaccinated" getting sicker now, I also want to know...are those "got 2 a year ago and no boosts", or got single J&J and nothing after - or are they boosted once or twice? Big difference between someone who hasn't had a boost since last March vs. someone who had one last month.

Covidactnow.org is an excellent site where you can assess and track covid in your own county.

I just checked and we’re in the high risk zone. No surprise there. I didn’t need a website to tell me that.

Ha well, I live in FL, and we usually lead the way on upward trends...

Because of air conditioning and seasonal trends.

When I lived in FL I told people our "summer" is your "winter" where we have to spend a lot of time inside.

I just checked and we’re in the high risk zone. No surprise there. I didn’t need a website to tell me that.

But my point is conditions vary. No one living in the other 49 states need become alarmed because of conditions in one state, a singular locality, or an individual health care facility. Especially with factual info readily available.

And no one can simply sense the far more critical hospital data. That's why it is tabulated and reported. You actually do need a website for that.

Information is available and it is our friend.

:)

Well put, Gumby. Half a statistic is worthless and misleading, and you do see it all the time in the media.

What I don't fully understand is that while I live in an area that is still under emergency rule thanks to Covid, and I see people walking about in the fresh air on nearly empty streets wearing masks, and the vaccination rate is is over 81% (at least one dose), my area is now Medium risk. Yet a certain city in another state where masks are not popular, and vaccination is up to you, and the guv has not ruled with an iron hand, is Low.

All I can think is that our cooler than normal Spring has kept more of us inside with our windows closed.

But my point is conditions vary. No one living in the other 49 states need become alarmed because of conditions in one state, a singular locality, or an individual health care facility. Especially with factual info readily available.

And no one can simply sense the far more critical hospital data. That's why it is tabulated and reported. You actually do need a website for that.

Information is available and it is our friend.

:)
I didn't mean to downplay the value of the website. I agree it's a great resource. I just meant that I personally didn't need it to know that we're in a high risk zone. All I need to do is spend a day at work and I'm acutely aware of that based on the patient load and positivity rate with our testing. I also have the benefit of getting our hospital data on a daily basis so I can see the spike in hospitalization and ventilator usage.

Because of air conditioning and seasonal trends.

That's only a small part of the reason. FL behaviors have never been high on common sense cautions.

Things may be better or worse than you think but the info is readily available.

This site is misleading as it uses the CDC community level map instead of the older cases/transmission map. No green on the old map. The current positivity rate in Santa Clara County in the Bay Area is 6.3 percent and the four sewer sheds in the County have had significant increases in viral protein counts over the last couple of weeks.

The necessary info is available, but you have to know which info is descriptive. I have zero faith in Covidactnow.org.

It’s also important to keep in mind that all official case numbers are faulty now due to the widespread availability of home tests. Most folks who test positive at home aren’t reporting to the authorities so those cases don’t get counted. The actual numbers are likely considerably higher than the official numbers.

There are also all the folks who have COVID but never get tested for whatever reason.

I didn't mean to downplay the value of the website. I agree it's a great resource. I just meant that I personally didn't need it to know that we're in a high risk zone. All I need to do is spend a day at work and I'm acutely aware of that based on the patient load and positivity rate with our testing. I also have the benefit of getting our hospital data on a daily basis so I can see the spike in hospitalization and ventilator usage.

Sure. But no one's local experience can be extrapolated across the US.

Sure. But no one's local experience can be extrapolated across the US.

For sure. It’s a big country. What’s happening here in New Jersey may be entirely different than what’s happening in Ohio or Kansas or Nevada or wherever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom