Are You Allowing Others Into Your Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for your concern.

Since we won't come in direct contact with her, will allow 3 hours for anything airborne to settle before returning to the house, and will wipe down all touch surfaces with disinfectant once we go back inside, I do not think we are taking any measurable risk.

So you are going to clean after the cleaner finishes cleaning? :LOL:

Our house cleaner uses our disinfecting products, comes alone, and does not clean any other homes. She asked if she could come, and we said yes. She knows we would have paid her either way.

Everyone can decide their own level of worry. Cleaners are included in essential occupations in Illinois. Per my bold: "Critical trades, including plumbers, electricians, exterminators, cleaning and janitorial staff for commercial and governmental properties, security staff, operating engineers, HVAC, painting, moving and relocation services, and other service providers that maintain the safety, sanitation and essential operation of residences, Essential Activities, and Essential Businesses and Operations."

Yeah, but liquor stores (and pot stores in my state) are "essential" as well. Just because it's deemed essential doesn't mean that it's prudent to visit them.

Last edited:
If we still had our cleaners they wouldn’t be cleaning now. They have to touch everything to clean. A friend of mine let her hairdresser come to her house to cut her hair. Mine is too long and turning white but none of that is important enough to take a risk.

I don't think so. I have never seen anything that indicates that internet or cable TV is an essential "utility." I haven't seen anything issued by a government entity saying a cable company can't turn off your service for non payment. Our cable company (Cox) sent out an email yesterday that there will be no in-home services. I can't recall the last time I even needed someone inside to do anything...also everything (outside the physical wiring) is done remotely or at the box outside the house.
So, if someone has a medical service tied to their "landline", which for them is a phone service through a cable or Internet service, they can't get that fixed? What if it is their only phone service? How do they contact 911 if needed? The same would apply to a phone-based security system.

So you are going to clean after the cleaner finishes cleaning? :LOL:

Yeah, but liquor stores (and pot stores in my state) are "essential" as well. Just because it's deemed essential doesn't mean that it's prudent to visit them.

As I said, “Everyone can decide their own level of worry.”

We live in New Jersey.
No one coming into our home for several weeks now.
Not even our two adult children who we miss dearly.

Video chats for us.
Just not worth the risk in this location.

So, if someone has a medical service tied to their "landline", which for them is a phone service through a cable or Internet service, they can't get that fixed? What if it is their only phone service? How do they contact 911 if needed? The same would apply to a phone-based security system.

+1000

Also, even though many people report having an almost impossible time trying to file for unemployment on the Internet, at least it's an option vs. not being able to get through at all on the phone or being disconnected after being on hold a long time already.

Many people are working from home right now and students are relying on the Internet for schoolwork. The Internet is also a huge source of information and entertainment.

I consider Internet service to be essential. The idea that a provider won't let a repair person inside a home is downright criminal. Not legally maybe, but...

I would like anybody who must come inside my house (repair folks, cleaning folks etc) to be wearing masks...

I was thinking of eventually asking our cleaner if she 1) had a mask, and 2) felt comfortable working in gloves and a mask after the peak is over here, which will probably be May. We'd probably keep paying her for now even if she said no -- she's been with us long enough that I hope she would believe us, as we've paid her before for the weeks she did not come when she was injured and needed surgery.

I'm not saying that it's not essential to some, but I have yet to see any government entity treat these providers the same as electric, gas and water. I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Sad to think some people may be living the last few weeks or months of their lives in isolation and they aren't affected directly by COVID-19.

Statesman,
The mother of my childhood friend has been like a second mother to me throughout my life. She really is a wonderful kind and fun person, and she has handled aging very gracefully. She is in her late 80s now, widowed, and is still very upbeat and positive.

She doesn't have extreme dimentia, but she is starting to show some signs of being more forgetful. She wasn't consistently making herself good meals, and has been losing weight. Her children recently moved her from an over 55 coop apartment into a very nice assisted living facility that offers meals each day, apartment cleaning each week, and hopefully more social contact with other residence.

I went to visit her the other day, and dropped off some food and wine. I wasn't surprised that they wouldn't let me in, or her out, but they delivered the package to her.

The bummer of all this:
She is basically house bound inside this small apartment for the duration of this virus shutdown with very little human contact. The meals are being delivered to her door. Her children and friends can't visit. Other than the phone and TV, she is locked down for her own safety, and everyone else in that place. It sounds horrible to me.

She never got into computers or having a smart phone. Her kids have sent her some type of IPad, and the staff is supposed to help her get that up and running for some Skype sessions with her kids and grandchildren. I hope that works out, but I'm feeling terrible for her situation.

Take care, JP

We are still babysitting the grand kids and having a family dinner once per week. We try to practice social distancing but that gets a little difficult with a 3 year old.

Trying ~~~~ but our Seder went from 5 to 8 then 2 new people came by when the kids were riding bikes outside. So much for social distancing. And we'd been so diligent

I mean, if my relatives didn't work (outside of their homes) and have been completely isolated from everyone else for the last 14 days, theoretically, they could come visit us, but if they have been exposed to other people during the 14 days in some other ways (going grocery shopping, for example), I'm not sure if I want them over.

Absolutely not. My friends and the housekeeper can wait. Only my DM is allowed inside these days, which we are very comfortable with since she is very strict about preventative measures and the only places she visits are her house, our house, and a grocery store.

DD had to get a new water heater installed, so she had to let someone in. She probably won't sleep for a few nights worrying about it.

DD had to get a new water heater installed, so she had to let someone in. She probably won't sleep for a few nights worrying about it.
I hope all our appliances continue to work, especially the refrigerator. We are in our 70s and trying to take what we consider reasonable precautions. No one comes into our house or even into our back yard since we spend a good deal of our time there.

If our water heater failed we might consider letting someone in to replace it since it is in the garage. I would clear a wide path to the heater for its removal and replacement. We would then stay out of the garage for several days. If it was inside the house I would just take cold showers instead.

Cheers!

We are closing on our refinancing next week and they are sending a mobile notary. We will put on masks and gloves.

We are closing on our refinancing next week and they are sending a mobile notary. We will put on masks and gloves.
If it's nice enough out, ask the notary if it can be done on your patio, deck, or stoop...or maybe even on the hood of your car! (Just make sure someone is holding on to the papers!) It will protect them and you more than the masks alone.

The last time anybody besides my wife and I was in our house was the 17th of march, our friend who had given us a lift home from the airport on the 14th came over for lunch that day and since then it has just been deliveries that get within any close distance of the inside of our house.

Nobody but DW and me have been in our house since our friends went back north on Feb. 20. We've had another friend over, but just to sit in the back yard and chat. And even that hasn't happened since ~March 2, when we were really becoming aware of the virus. He's been in the front yard a couple of times since, but we've kept our distance. So our house should be pretty safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom