Are You Allowing Others Into Your Home

Status
Not open for further replies.
After some discussion DW and I decided to allow our cleaning lady to come this Wed for her regular scheduled bi-weekly visit. She skipped the last one at our request, and after checking with her yesterday to be sure she hadn't decided to limit her clientele to only those who would allow her to work from home :), we are go.

We will have no personal contact with her as we will spend the day in our RV which is hooked up to water and electricity about 50 ft from the house. We won't go back into the house until at least three hours after she's done, and then we may wipe down the doorknobs and other high touch areas, just to be extra cautious. DW and I agreed the RV will be a nice change of scenery after spending the past 3+ weeks in the house.

But doesn’t your cleaning person need to touch virtually every surface in your home to be able to clean everything? Even small items like moving the toothpaste out of the way to wipe down the bathroom counters. When I thought about all of the surfaces that I would have to wipe down just in case my cleaning person was infected it seemed like about as much work as just cleaning the house myself.

We skipped our cleaning lady's visit last Monday and mailed her the money anyway. We'll do it again with the upcoming Monday and maybe the one after that, depending on the situation. I am not worried about being exposed, but she should not have to make the choice between cleaning my house or protecting herself and her kids (and also obeying the law, since housekeeping is not one of the listed essential businesses). So until things return to some sense of normalcy, we'll keep her "on retainer" as it were. She is the only one who comes in our house on a regular basis anyway.

Yes I'm sure it damaged the roof, at least the shingles, possibly the plywood underneath.
Let us know how it goes.

Yes, small hole on the shingles...got a tarp over it after the restoration company rigged a pulley system to get the large limb off of it.

Fortunately it was not the main roof...but a small (~2 foot) "bump out" of the dining room so it has a separate small roof below the main roof line.

Had one unproductive phone conversation with the adjuster...he seems to be balking at the restoration company wanting to hire an engineer to check for structural damage to the framing...especially for that "bump out" (the large limb fell from way up in the tree)...finally told him to contact the restoration company so we could all meet together at the home...haven't yet heard back from anyone.

Last edited:
After some discussion DW and I decided to allow our cleaning lady to come this Wed for her regular scheduled bi-weekly visit. She skipped the last one at our request, and after checking with her yesterday to be sure she hadn't decided to limit her clientele to only those who would allow her to work from home :), we are go.

We will have no personal contact with her as we will spend the day in our RV which is hooked up to water and electricity about 50 ft from the house. We won't go back into the house until at least three hours after she's done, and then we may wipe down the doorknobs and other high touch areas, just to be extra cautious. DW and I agreed the RV will be a nice change of scenery after spending the past 3+ weeks in the house.

Just the idea of this freaks me out......I'd be walking around my house like a crazy woman literally wiping down everything I could see...I'd probably sleep in the Rv for 3 days not just sit in it for 3 hours....

We never have anyone over to the house even at the best of times. And no-one is ever allowed in the basement, NO-ONE! ESPECIALLY AT NIGHT OR ON HALLOWEEN :eek:

REWahoo, I have always regarded you as an outstandingly sensible man. But TBH, I think you've LOST IT. IMO this is the worst idea you have ever had.

Sure, go out and stay in the RV for a while if that is fun for you. That doesn't mean you have to let the cleaning lady in the house while you do it. :) While you are stuck at home you have plenty of time to tidy things up yourself, without further risk of hospitals, ventilators, dying, and so on, IMO.

You do not risk much with your investments. I'd urge you to regard your own life and that of your DW, as being as important as your investments and shield both from this risk, however slight.

No one has come into my home in 3 weeks and no one will for the foreseeable future (unless there's an emergency).

Story in our local paper--a family's internet went out so the Spectrum technician came in the house to fix it. The family got a call from Spectrum a few days later that the technician had tested positive for COVID 19. The technician had no symptoms when he visited the house. The family (parents, 3 small children) are all on quarantine. Scary.

I think allowing one person in the house to work is less risky than going to the supermarket, even for curbside pickup. DW and I are having the same conversation - sans RV.

You do not risk much with your investments. I'd urge you to regard your own life and that of your DW, as being as important as your investments and shield both from this risk, however slight.

Thanks for your concern.

Since we won't come in direct contact with her, will allow 3 hours for anything airborne to settle before returning to the house, and will wipe down all touch surfaces with disinfectant once we go back inside, I do not think we are taking any measurable risk. I think it is far less risky than shopping for groceries in person, which we have not done and won't if we can help it.

Plus, there are only 6 confirmed cases of CV in our county. If/when the virus becomes more widespread here we will not allow her to return until the situation improves.

I think allowing one person in the house to work is less risky than going to the supermarket, even for curbside pickup. DW and I are having the same conversation - sans RV.

I'm curious about your reasoning here, curbside pickup I am more the 8 to 10 feet away from one person for maybe 30 seconds.

I put my stuff in the truck and segregate it, wipe it and if possible store regular items on my back porch for 3 days...

A person has to eat so it's a minimal but essential risk for everyday living.

How do you know what your cleaning person does or where they go when they are not in your home? You don't...

It's clear everyone has their own personal definition of acceptable infection risk.

It's good to see because sometimes I can't figure our if I'm being reasonable or I've just gone wacky.

At the beginning of a pandemic people will accuse you of overreacting. At the end of a pandemic people will accuse you of not acting fast enough.

Our house cleaner uses our disinfecting products, comes alone, and does not clean any other homes. She asked if she could come, and we said yes. She knows we would have paid her either way.

Everyone can decide their own level of worry. Cleaners are included in essential occupations in Illinois. Per my bold: "Critical trades, including plumbers, electricians, exterminators, cleaning and janitorial staff for commercial and governmental properties, security staff, operating engineers, HVAC, painting, moving and relocation services, and other service providers that maintain the safety, sanitation and essential operation of residences, Essential Activities, and Essential Businesses and Operations."

We skipped our cleaning lady's visit last Monday and mailed her the money anyway.

Kudos to you and the others who are doing this. Those folks are not highly paid to begin with and I'm sure that many people have stopped the service. That has to hurt them.

For the same reason we have decided to keep the lawn mowing service even though my health has recovered enough that I can do it now. Besides, canceling the service would almost guarantee that I'd have a relapse or other turn for the worse. Murphy's Law has not been repealed.:)

I figure that I already budgeted the money for her. She doesn't make a lot and she is a single mom of two children. And it's best if I don't completely forget how to clean the house. I don't do as well as she does, but we won't end up buried under a mound of dust bunnies.

Our son and daughter-in-law stopped over on their bicycles. They had our 17 month old grandson in a bike trailer. We went out and chatted with them in the driveway. They took the baby out of the trailer to walk around and he went right over to DH and said, UP. Of course DH picked him up. We miss hm so much! But we are going to have to be very cautious. Son and DIL have been going into stores. They also go to parks with the baby. I understand they want to get out with him when the weather is nice but they don't seem to be taking all this seriously. DIL also goes to a friends house to help her with projects. And her friend's husband is working from home but still goes to the work building if needed. That's an extra degree of exposure.

Just seems very risky to us.

Last edited:
Neighborhood practices social distancing. Old retired pharts and med student renters cause we are within walking distance of med school (docs and nurses).

Great weather today before the last? snow of the season this weekend. DW out gardening and the neighbors/dog walkers/joggers all are social distancing.

heh heh heh - we let the mail and paper sit at least 24 - 72 hrs before bringing inside and do the hand wash, disinfect the door nob deal.

heh heh heh - we also do the over ordered home delivery trade among neighbors with the appropriate wipe down. :cool: :greetings10:

Going nuts here as I am normally a busy body.

Last week I planted roses, flowers, and got some hanging baskets for the yard. And I hate yard work! I also trimmed the hedges and bagged about 5 bags of trimmings and pine needles.:(

Today I cleaned out my desk drawers and lined them with plastic "organizers" to compartmentalize the contents.

Later this week, I will get some new mountain bike parts (cables, brake assemblies, etc) for an old bike I am fixing up to donate to the homeless children's center in Conroe, TX.

I am trying to get my house on the market; my agent thinks there may be a small window of time when the house can sell before prices tumble. Given that I’m eager to get out of here, I’m trying to get it market-ready ASAP.

I have tons of junk that needs to be removed: boxes, bags o’trash, old appliances, an old dresser, a very heavy mirror. I arranged for a junk hauler to come by this week. Now I’m a little nervous about it. I’m not going to cancel, but instead of having the junk haulers come into all the different rooms of my house, I’m going to take all the stuff out to my garage. Before the appointment window, I’ll try to shove it out to the driveway. The only objects I fear I won’t be able to get down to the garage are the heavy mirror and the dresser. But I’ll try. I think I can manage the mirror if I go slowly. I don’t know about the dresser. Maybe if I take the drawers out and move them separately. I may end up keeping the dresser, even if it looks hideous. Funny, I wasn’t worried about this virus at all when I first heard about it, now I’m trying my best to avoid it.

We are in our newly constructed condo and yesterday, the tech showed up to install our intercom. We refused entry and told him to get a mask. We also put a note on the door advising that everyone who enters needs a mask.

Our housekeeper comes every week but has canceled every other week since the update on Civid19 masks. We just stay out of her way in another room. She leaves the place cleaner!

Are we talking just cable or internet..I think internet must be an essential service right up there with heat, water and power. Not sure this company "rule" would pass the smell test...

I don't think so. I have never seen anything that indicates that internet or cable TV is an essential "utility." I haven't seen anything issued by a government entity saying a cable company can't turn off your service for non payment. Our cable company (Cox) sent out an email yesterday that there will be no in-home services. I can't recall the last time I even needed someone inside to do anything...also everything (outside the physical wiring) is done remotely or at the box outside the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom