Cabin fever my evolving prescription...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I’ve seen a lot of people walking in the neighbor hood that I’ve never seen before. Actually the dog sees them first “yes dusty we see them” calm down.
1. Get out into the fresh air. Or me Podcast assisted walking. My son, ‘cool hand’ runs. The Mrs hits the elliptical every morning.

The garage is a mess and I’m going to tidy it up big time. It may take a couple of days but that’s ok. The Mrs is sowing face masks. I want mine embroidered “keep back 6 ft”. I also plan on thinning the wardrobe more. There’s a ton I have not worn in years. It’s past time.
2. Be productive

The Mrs announces OMG there’s xxx more in Pa. Im limiting my exposure to the news. I can’t worry about what I can’t control.
3. limiting exposure to the news in the morning and evening only.

I’m in the midst of some David Baldacci, Amos Decker book 2. Murder mysteries easy light reading.
4. Reading

Anyone care to add?
Thanks
Ray

I opted for the always fashionable plaid...

20200322_122742.jpg

Last edited:
When I retired on 2-28 I had many plans written out on a letter-size sheet. I cannot find the sheet! So today I will launch my 2nd office cleanup plan of the past week. I have years of mementos and papers to organize. Lots of shredding too.

I'm completely house-bound for various reasons. I may walk the property today and take a few pictures. Have not done that in a very long time.

Since I can't play pickleball 6x a week, I have substituted at least an hour of fast walking daily.
We will probably replace some plants and mulch and do a spring cleaning outside.

DW is handicapped and pretty much housebound so not much new is going on around here. I still do all the dog walking, outside work and errand running. What's really different now is the lack of traffic.

We also live in a 55+ development of 437 single family homes so there are a lot of seniors walking around. I know all the dogs in the development and some of the people.

My garage is always in need of clean up! :D

Interesting garage comments.
We have taken much pride in actually using a 3 car garage for housing 3 cars, so never much to clean up there.

Interesting garage comments.
We have taken much pride in actually using a 3 car garage for housing 3 cars, so never much to clean up there.

Part (small one) of my garage is my workshop and I also maintain my cars myself. I have a lifetime of tools in there too (two air compressors, large tool boxes, hanging tools, etc. Consequences of moving into a 55+ development when getting older (LOL)! :blush:

Oh, both cars are kept in the garage too! :)

Part (small one) of my garage is my workshop and I also maintain my cars myself. I have a lifetime of tools in there too (two air compressors, large tool boxes, hanging tools, etc. Consequences of moving into a 55+ development when getting older (LOL)! :blush:

Oh, both cars are kept in the garage too! :)

Yes to be fair, I have minimal tools and not much of a handyman, so that cuts much of that need.
Hey, I do take care of my pool.:)

We're walking around the neighborhood more and meeting up with neighbors and chatting about this and that.... just from 6' away. Could be a good thing.

I'm sure this will change our lives and society in different ways. I hope/suspect that employers will be more accepting of telecommuting and people working from home or wherever they are... it will reduce real commuting and emmissions, oil usage, etc. There will probably be other chenges too... and winners and losers.

I went outside and hand washed my car on Friday. By Saturday it was already covered in green pollen again. Oh well, it looked good for a few hours. :)

I also scrubbed down the patio between our house and garage. It had a few years worth of dirt and mildew buildup. It was a lot of work, but it looks much nicer now.

My wife and I went for a walk in the park yesterday, then grabbed a take-out burger to eat in the park afterwards.

We are walking the dogs and it feels good to be out. Dig out the board games we have never played and using them. I am teaching my class for 5 more weeks. Talking with friends daily on the phone and the neighbors from a safe distance. Been totally unmotivated to clean because no point with no one coming over. We are used to having lots of company. We are getting takeout a few times a week to alleviate the food boredom. Usually we go out.

Sit on the deck when the weather allows.
Reading books.
will start weeding the garden on nice days.
DH and I go for walks around the neighborhood, or for a nice drive if we have cabin fever.
Try to only read/watch the news once a day.
Organized and checked "preparedness gear/food" in storage
Checking pantry and freezer and trying to come up with creative meals to avoid shopping :)

Times are stressful.

Attachments

• Image 1-29-20 at 5.34 PM.jpg
    Image 1-29-20 at 5.34 PM.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 31
For now it is work around the house, walking on the greenbelt behind the house, and mostly indoor stuff since the snowstorm on Thursday (crap hasn't melted yet). At some point I will reorganize the garage and my reloading bench, get some brewing done, and eventually I will slip into the National Forest to shoot a muzzleloader.

Yes to be fair, I have minimal tools and not much of a handyman, so that cuts much of that need.
Hey, I do take care of my pool.:)

I feel a lot better since you added this.^

I'm planning to attack our garage during the COVID-19 containment time. :blush:

In January and February, before the panic set in, one DS moved out all of his stuff he had stored in the basement and we reorganized, so there is not much to do there now. :)
I will probably spend some time working on stuff in the attic. A potential "issue" is that DW, while better, still has a difficult time getting rid of things.

We have many parks with trails, or hiking trails, within 30 minutes of where we live, so our daily walks can be varied.

A lot of little woodworking projects to play with.

Talked to a local scrap dealer, and they actually are interested in the computers/electronics I will be downsizing from. So will spend time sorting through and preparing materials for scrap.

I will start installing a putting green in the backyard. I accumulated the needed materials the end of last year, so now it is just the labor to get things set up.

My ongoing projects to digitize photos and the vinyl record collection will continue.

A variety of home exercise to enjoy.

As long as the golf course stays open, I'll be there, weather permitting, 3-4 days per week.

Having more time with DW is always a joy. Fortunately she feels the same way.

Edited to add: It is for times like these that I built my man cave. :)

Last edited:
When I was 11 years old, my idea of the perfect life was to someday own the Library of Congress, to have a chaise longue put somewhere between stacks of books in there for me, and to have a silent person bring meals at appropriate times and then leave. Seriously, I told my family that this would be my idea of utopia.

Well, I don't have the Library of Congress, but I *DO* have the internet which provides me with endless interesting things to read. I have my recliner which is better than a chaise longue. And being a grown-up, I can fix my own meals and don't have to leave home to do that.

I guess that what I am saying, is that if we can let go of the resentment of being *forced* to live in isolation, it can actually be a dream come true.

I have noticed that if I don't watch myself, I tend to read too much about the coronavirus and stress out due to doing that. My new video game (Animal Crossing) completely removes me from stress or even thinking about the virus at all. It is a happy, peaceful game in which one is living on a remote tropical island. Anyway, I like it. I think it's important for all of us to find a way to get away from thinking about the virus for at least 2-3 hours/day. I also see Frank for a while every day, so I do retain contact with humanity, which I think is important too.

There is a 100+ mile trail system out my back door, an easy remedy for cabin fever.
The closest section is steep so I usually don't see too many other users at my mid-day run time. Friday I saw twice the usual number - 2.
Plus, there are plenty of shop projects to keep me busy.
On our last hike, DW was lamenting how her favorite shoes had lost their traction.
Today they got new tread from an old Mountain Bike tire ---

Attachments

• 1 - before.jpg
    1 - before.jpg
    657.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 2 - after.jpg
    2 - after.jpg
    739.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
There is a 100+ mile trail system out my back door, an easy remedy for cabin fever.
The closest section is steep so I usually don't see too many other users at my mid-day run time. Friday I saw twice the usual number - 2.
Plus, there are plenty of shop projects to keep me busy.
On our last hike, DW was lamenting how her favorite shoes had lost their traction.
Today they got new tread from an old Mountain Bike tire ---

Inquiring minds want to know - what kind of adhesive / glue?

Inquiring minds want to know - what kind of adhesive / glue?

In the spirit of minimizing exposure, I used what was on hand - thickened contact cement, the solvent type.

I have also used Shoe Goo, but that creates the additional problem of how to apply even pressure while it cures.
Barge cement can also be used.

Last edited:
In the spirit of minimizing exposure, I used what was on hand - thickened contact cement, the solvent type.

I have also used Shoe Goo, but that creates the additional problem of how to apply even pressure while it cures.
Barge cement can also be used.

I use cut out pieces of plywood inside and on the sole, and a couple of clamps. It's not pretty, but it seems to work.

We're walking around the neighborhood more and meeting up with neighbors and chatting about this and that.... just from 6' away. Could be a good thing.

We are also walking the neighborhood. Not more, because we always have done it, but still. But we're not talking and chatting. We change routes when we see people, or at least walk on the other side of the road. We're not looking for new friends or conversation, just a break from being inside. I don't trust that 6' thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom