California guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.
These are great ideas of one can actually get masks that are effective, gloves, and hand sanitizer. In my area I have not seen a bottle of sanitizer or a boxes of masks or gloves in over a month. Hopefully, they will be available by the end of May. Maybe?

I made my own hand sanitizer with alcohol, aloe vera gel and essential oils. I dug out my sewing machine, have been printing out mask patterns and am going to make my own masks. Etsy has many hand made masks for sale that can be washed and reused.

I don't have any DIY gloves ideas yet but to go out we've used gardening and cold weather gloves that we had at home that can be washed and reused.

These are great ideas of one can actually get masks that are effective, gloves, and hand sanitizer. In my area I have not seen a bottle of sanitizer or a boxes of masks or gloves in over a month. Hopefully, they will be available by the end of May. Maybe?

Agreed. I haven't seen any either. I keep sanitizer and gloves normally as part of my emergency kit, and still have some on hand (I wash with soap primarily) ---but haven't seen any for sale on line (and I've been isolated so couldn't go to the store to check). Plenty of masks online, and homemade is an option (have an old t-shirt you can spare? CDC has instructions on how to cut it up into 1 or more masks)....but how effective they'll be is not known.

Last edited:
Ifound them vague. No statedcriteria makes it more of a statement of intent than anything else. I do like the assurance opening would be science based.

I think their main purpose is serving as a political notice to DC that the state will decide opening-not the fed.

Yes. Which I’m for. They’re at least trying to make a measured effort at the problem. The alternative has been more of the “wing it” flavor so far which historically hasn’t worked well.

I made my own hand sanitizer with alcohol, aloe vera gel and essential oils. I dug out my sewing machine, have been printing out mask patterns and am going to make my own masks. Etsy has many hand made masks for sale that can be washed and reused.

I don't have any DIY gloves ideas yet but to go out we've used gardening and cold weather gloves that we had at home that can be washed and reused.

I only have a box of 500 piece disposable gloves. I use one each time I retrieve mail or open delivery boxes. I think I will wear 2, 3 layers of these next time I go out. Should still be better than not wearing any.

As a native Californian I was reassured that the Governor was listening to science and experts. Until testing is more widespread, we have NO idea how many people may have had covid and recovered. (My son being a prime example.) It is still close to impossible to get tested unless you are ready to be hospitalized here in San Diego.

I suspect, if they manage to ramp up testing, schools will reopen in the fall. But masks will be required. I also expect small shops will reopen at some point this summer. Restaurants may be takeout for a while.

Masks are going to be the look of 2020, and probably 2021.

But it's all dependent on getting the data from testing. Which is a main step the governor called for.

Is there a politician who claims he’s not listening to science and experts? That seems a low bar to get excited about. Science and experts have been calling the shots since this started.

Is there a politician who claims he’s not listening to science and experts? That seems a low bar to get excited about. Science and experts have been calling the shots since this started.

Yes. There is a prominent politician that in the recent past has claimed he would push to open things based on his gut. This politician is famous for diving under low bars.

Yes. There is a prominent politician that in the recent past has claimed he would push to open things based on his gut. This politician is famous for diving under low bars.

I’m not sure who you’re talking about. And it likely doesn’t matter. What we’ve witnessed speaks louder than words. Everything has been shut down in this country since mid March. And is likely to be shut down through at least end of this month if not much longer. Someone playing pure politics likely wouldn’t do this. This extraordinary event has been driven by politicians heeding health expert recommendations.

It’s not a big deal either way. I’ve just seen a lot of comments applauding the governor for saying he’d listen to experts for decision guidance. I just think that’s what everyone is already obviously doing.

Baseball games in the park.
Thousands head to the beach for a day of sun and fun.
Bike rentals by the pier.
Concession stands serving lunch, drinks, ice cream sandwiches.
Bicycles, skateboards, rollerblades on the boardwalk.
Motorcycles driving down the highway taking in the scenery.
Kids playing football at the beach.
Body surfing, wind surfing, sun tanning.

Sound like a scene from before the pandemic?

Nope, just another typical day in my neighborhood. I think we have declared the pandemic over here and have all moved on.

Every other beach city from San Diego to Los Angeles is closed. Such a weird place to live some times. I don’t get it.

Baseball games in the park.
Thousands head to the beach for a day of sun and fun.
Bike rentals by the pier.
Concession stands serving lunch, drinks, ice cream sandwiches.
Bicycles, skateboards, rollerblades on the boardwalk.
Motorcycles driving down the highway taking in the scenery.
Kids playing football at the beach.
Body surfing, wind surfing, sun tanning.

Sound like a scene from before the pandemic?

Nope, just another typical day in my neighborhood. I think we have declared the pandemic over here and have all moved on.

Every other beach city from San Diego to Los Angeles is closed. Such a weird place to live some times. I don’t get it.

Some of the residents who live in beach cities up here have been pretty vocal about getting the beaches closed and parking / shelter in place orders enforced by the police. There have been locals on the news out with signs protesting visitors who enter the community and try to park near the beaches. Eventually the beaches were closed and the police got involved: https://www.marinij.com/2020/03/23/marin-authorities-aim-to-tighten-anti-virus-compliance/

Paraphrasing from the linked 7 points above, we ‘should aim to have as much economic activity as possible, provided that hospitals are able to handle the number of sick patients.’

We need to limit economic damage without overwhelming health care resources, which will require some significant changes in how we live and work together. We want to get past this sooner rather than later, not see how much we can flatten the curve. Some people (here and at large) won’t agree, and they can choose to continue to isolate and/or protect themselves as they see fit. We can’t act to protect our highest risk citizens indefinitely.

Interesting if true for those who’ve been screaming about underestimating Covid-19.

This is encouraging to hear that other countries are starting to gradually reopen.

Most businesses don't work without a critical mass of customers. Sending 10 to 20% of the population out to patronize businesses won't work. And in the meantime you will be igniting a second wave.

I think a much higher proportion than 10-20% would patronize businesses now if they were allowed to.

A number of posts strayed into an unrelated issue and were removed.

I think a much higher proportion than 10-20% would patronize businesses now if they were allowed to.

If they could is the important phrase. So far what we have heard from the powers that be is rather vague and lacks credibility. Hard to believe we are going to tell everyone to go to restaurants, massage parlors, barbers, etc in May.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom