Congrats Team ER.org

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an unusually awesome little corner of the internet where great minds come together. Big kudos to our team of Admins & Mods who do an outstanding job at fostering this community. Sometimes it takes a lot more work than you might think to handle (sometimes silly) issues with grace.

Our members here are also especially awesome and help out tremendously to nudge things back into a respectful direction should they fall off the rails. I've been crazy busy raising some kids and running a small business but I yearn for the day when I can hangout here on a more frequent basis and get to know all the new faces who have come to call E-R.org home (our version of Cheers).

+1000 ER.org has been a haven for getting a variety of viewpoints on this mess. Yes, people have gotten short at times, but all told it has been a great. I thank the mods for helping us set a reasonable tone over many years.

Next-door never ceases to amaze me with its level of discussion. I have a negative opinion of most humans. Next-door confirms my beliefs.

Mr. T, All I can say is never confuse social media with reality. No, not even this one. Thankfully, most of us here realize we do not represent society at large but one small corner of it that practices the virtues of LBYM, think for yourself, open a Roth account and never ever buy an annuity unless its a SPIA and can solve a very specific problem.

At times I disagree when the moderators end an interesting discussion. But, then I read the comments section of the WSJ or my local newspaper, and I build a stone altar. On it I offer the moderators a gift of thanks by burning a pile of fifty $20 bills while reciting LBYM one hundred times.

I spent some time on nextdoor.com this morning where there are several Covid-19 threads. What a useless mess. Extreme views from both sides, conspiracy theory nonsense and plenty of insults. Most want to reopen NOW or everyone stay at home until there's a proven vaccine, both repeatedly insulting each other - what's the point?

I've seen the same on a few other forums I participate on.

We're all still learning on ER.org as elsewhere, so we've had out moments too (I sure have) - but compared to what I read on nextdoor.com and others, this is a prestigious nonpartisan thinktank.

Most of the internet forums are a toxic mess. Especially when it comes to topics that allows ignorance to become mainstream. Granted some of the CDC's guidance has been off a bit, but the knowledge of this new virus is evolving and they are going where the science takes them. They are doing the best that they can. When folks start blaming each other and the "anonymous" internet gloves come off is when I start tuning out. Everyone is suffering to some extent. Some barely and others extremely...having family members die alone has to be horrible. Others like my daughter who is an ER nurse see how it really is on the ground. It is more terrifying the closer you get to knowing someone infected.

My prayers are for the world to figure this out with us more ready the next time something like this happens. Unfortunately we all have short memories. We all need to take some responsibility to get through it.. Stay safe my friends.

This is an unusually awesome little corner of the internet where great minds come together. Big kudos to our team of Admins & Mods who do an outstanding job at fostering this community. Sometimes it takes a lot more work than you might think to handle (sometimes silly) issues with grace.

Our members here are also especially awesome and help out tremendously to nudge things back into a respectful direction should they fall off the rails. I've been crazy busy raising some kids and running a small business but I yearn for the day when I can hangout here on a more frequent basis and get to know all the new faces who have come to call E-R.org home (our version of Cheers).

Wow, nice to hear from you and best wishes!

Mr. T, All I can say is never confuse social media with reality. No, not even this one. Thankfully, most of us here realize we do not represent society at large but one small corner of it that practices the virtues of LBYM, think for yourself, open a Roth account and never ever buy an annuity unless its a SPIA and can solve a very specific problem.

At times I disagree when the moderators end an interesting discussion. But, then I read the comments section of the WSJ or my local newspaper, and I build a stone altar. On it I offer the moderators a gift of thanks by burning a pile of fifty $20 bills while reciting LBYM one hundred times.
This site works as well as it does primarily because the overwhelming majority of the members are decent, intelligent and reasonable people who can get along with others.

Bolded by me--I love that!
This is a great place to be, to share, to learn. It is a big part of my morning coffee break daily.

100% to all of the above. I heard David Brooks say recently that one reason the 1918 Spanish Flu is not thought of as a major episode in American history is that, despite good intentions at the start of it, many people felt badly afterward about how selfishly they had behaved during the scary thick of it. So, people felt ashamed and wanted to forget about the whole thing once it was over.

Combine an epidemic, during an election year into the outrage machine known as the internet and, yeesh, what a cesspool to mostly avoid. ER-Forum is a welcomed oasis and we have the mods to thank entirely for that.

The wealthier communities near me on NextDoor are NOT ER types, at least not as found here. They are whiny NIMBY stereotypes. Waaaaa, I can’t walk on the beach.. waaaa, there is a stray cat somewhere without a home... you get the idea.

I spent some time on nextdoor.com this morning where there are several Covid-19 threads. What a useless mess. Extreme views from both sides, conspiracy theory nonsense and plenty of insults. Most want to reopen NOW or everyone stay at home until there's a proven vaccine, both repeatedly insulting each other - what's the point?

We're all still learning on ER.org as elsewhere, so we've had out moments too (I sure have) - but compared to what I read on nextdoor.com and others, this is a prestigious nonpartisan thinktank.

+10. My favorite place on the Internet by far. I learn a ton and enjoy contributing where I can. The signal to noise ratio on ER.org is really high.

Well done!

The wealthier communities near me on NextDoor are NOT ER types, at least not as found here. They are whiny NIMBY stereotypes. Waaaaa, I can’t walk on the beach.. waaaa, there is a stray cat somewhere without a home... you get the idea.

LOL. On the other hand, I got rid of a pile of dirt in the alley last summer in about two days when I put a pic of it on Next Door and said FREE.

+++! I research and learn so much in here. Most folks seem very open to sharing their experiences without pushing their views onto anyone else.

But most of all, to have any chance at a successful online forum, you absolutely must have a large membership base that is thoughtful, mature, intelligent, helpful, and has a sense of humor.

Today I visit three forums regularly - this is one of them.

I agree! What our your other 2 fave forums?

This site works as well as it does primarily because the overwhelming majority of the members are decent, intelligent and reasonable people who can get along with others.

If only we could bottle that for free distribution....

100% to all of the above. I heard David Brooks say recently that one reason the 1918 Spanish Flu is not thought of as a major episode in American history is that, despite good intentions at the start of it, many people felt badly afterward about how selfishly they had behaved during the scary thick of it. So, people felt ashamed and wanted to forget about the whole thing once it was over.

Combine an epidemic, during an election year into the outrage machine known as the internet and, yeesh, what a cesspool to mostly avoid. ER-Forum is a welcomed oasis and we have the mods to thank entirely for that.

I'd not heard that. I wondered why I didn't recall studying much about the 1918 flu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom