Coronavirus Antibody Testing sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

FIREd_2015

Recycles dryer sheets
Looks like some clinics are starting offer Coronavirus antibody testing. The two linked below are on the East Coast and Mid-West regions. I didn't see a price listed but would be interested in getting one when it becomes available on the West Coast. Anybody know of one on the West Coast and what the cost is? Here are two that I've found so far:

AllCare Clinics - East Coast

https://allcarefamilymed.com/covid19-antibody-test

Arcpoint Labs - East Coast and a few in the Mid-West

https://www.arcpointlabs.com/covid-19-antibody-testing/

I suggest waiting until they figure out whether these antibody testing kits are legitimate and what their actual rates of false positives, false negatives, and so on are.

I suggest waiting until they figure out whether these antibody testing kits are legitimate and what their actual rates of false positives, false negatives, and so on are.

From what I can tell from their websites, it looks like they are doing a lab draw (not a finger stick) and using LabCorp or Quest to do the analysis. I believe both LabCorp and Quest have received FDA's Emergency Use Authorization (EUA). But I agree with you I wouldn't trust any finger stick test today that is from parts of Asia or have not received an EUA from the FDA. In one of the recent White House Coronavirus Task Force briefings, the FDA commissioner warned people against using those that have not received EUA from the FDA.

Edited: I went to the FDA website but didn't see LabCorp or Quest as having EUA for antibody tests but AllCare's website claims their test done at LabCorp has the EUA so maybe the labs received the EUA recently.

Last edited:
Yes I'm dying to take one given my February illness, but I'll wait until there is widespread acceptance of results. I don't want to get a false positive and find out later it's wrong (even if I assumed it might be, no point in getting good news and knowing it can't be reliable just yet)

From what I can tell from their websites, it looks like they are doing a lab draw (not a finger stick) and using LabCorp or Quest to do the analysis. I believe both LabCorp and Quest have received FDA's Emergency Use Authorization (EUA). But I agree with you I wouldn't trust any finger stick test today that is from parts of Asia or have not received an EUA from the FDA. In one of the recent White House Coronavirus Task Force briefings, the FDA commissioner warned people against using those that have not received EUA from the FDA.

Edited: I went to the FDA website but didn't see LabCorp or Quest as having EUA for antibody tests but AllCare's website claims their test done at LabCorp has the EUA so maybe the labs received the EUA recently.
My main point was that I would not even trust the results of an FDA-approved antibody test done by LabCorp or Quest or anybody else right now.

I have used antibodies in my professional life as a molecular biologist, so I may be more aware of the issues required of a good diagnostic kit than some other people.

Last edited:
Our doctors stated that we can get an antibody test with our normal annual physical blood work. He also cautioned that these tests have a high rate of false positives and it's not clear if someone can actually develop immunity from coronavirsu if their blood test is positive for antibodies. He stated that it's still too early to tell.

My main point was that I would not even trust the results of an FDA-approved antibody test done by LabCorp or Quest or anybody else right now.

I have used antibodies in my professional life as a molecular biologist, so I may be more aware of the issues required of a good diagnostic kit than some other people.

That’s not very encouraging since Stanford University and USC reported an estimated 2.5-4.2% of Santa Clara County and 2.8-5.6% of Los Angeles County residents have the antibody based on two recent studies. These were the two the hardest hit areas in California. I’ve read New York is currently conducting a similar statewide study. I’m assuming our policy makers will be using these results to make policy decisions.

I would be curious how many folks have some kind of "Natural" Immunity to this flu. No this is not a silly question.

How many of you have never had the Flu (General not Covid) with a fever? Most of us get a Flu shot I presume so that may help.

Personally, in my 67 years on this planet, I cannot remember one time getting any type of flu, cold, or otherwise with a fever that knocked me down or stopped me from going to work or school. I remember bad allergies, coughs and colds, but none with a fever. Yes I am getting old, and yes our memories fail us sometimes. However, I remember mumps, measles, chicken pox and others very vividly.

Just curious, and I wonder if they can test for this, perhaps that is what the antibody testing does. I sure would love to get that one.

I would be curious how many folks have some kind of "Natural" Immunity to this flu. No this is not a silly question.

How many of you have never had the Flu (General not Covid) with a fever? Most of us get a Flu shot I presume so that may help.

Covid-19 is not a type of flu. Covid-19 and the flu (influenza) are different diseases caused by different viruses. Per Johns Hopkins:

COVID-19: Caused by one virus, the novel 2019 coronavirus, now called severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2, or SARS-CoV-2.

Flu: Caused by any of several different types and strains of influenza viruses.

Covid-19 is not a type of flu. Covid-19 and the flu (influenza) are different diseases caused by different viruses. Per Johns Hopkins:

Not disputing any of that, but some folks I am sure have a natural immunity, I would love to know if we had.

The only thing I can compare in order to gauge my immune system is influenza and all the other diseases that have floated around.

Not disputing any of that, but some folks I am sure have a natural immunity, I would love to know if we had.
I've not seen anything to indicate anyone has any sort of natural immunity to the novel caronavirus. I believe the "novel" in the name is an acknowledgment the virus has never been seen before in humans, which would indicate no past exposure to build any immunity. But that's just my personal interpretation and I would welcome authoritative information to the contrary.

I've not seen anything to indicate anyone has any sort of natural immunity to the novel caronavirus. I believe the "novel" in the name is an acknowledgment the virus has never been seen before in humans, which would indicate no past exposure to build any immunity. But that's just my personal interpretation and I would welcome authoritative information to the contrary.

Perhaps immunity isn't the proper term.

Asymptomatic.

Or are you suggesting that all asymptomatic eventually become symptomatic?

Use what words you like, but it boils down to the fact that not all folks get it. So therefore those who do not, may have a natural resistance to it. Again call it what you like. Otherwise everyone would get it sooner or later without any vaccine available.

Use what words you like, but it boils down to the fact that not all folks get it.

You sure? Maybe those of us who haven't come down with it haven't been exposed, or had it with no symptoms?

...Otherwise everyone would get it sooner or later without any vaccine available.

I think you may be right - although I hope not.

Perhaps immunity isn't the proper term.

Asymptomatic.

Or are you suggesting that all asymptomatic eventually become symptomatic?

Asymptomatic is not the same as immune. An asymptomatic person still becomes infected and is contagious to others as the virus uses them as a host to replicate. An immune person does not become infected.

Last edited:
Asymptomatic is not the same as immune. An asymptomatic person still becomes infected and is contagious to others as the virus uses them as a host to replicate. An immune person does not become infected.

+1

In addition, asymptomatic is a point in time assessment. Some of those are really presymptomatic and later become ill. Some of the asymptomatic have lung damage, and this is detected with CT scans.

Last edited:
I just go this in an email...

Dear Patient,

Thank you for your continued support as we respond to the COVID-19 pandemic. Before we share the latest clinical developments and new patient resources, we'd like to highlight some good news.

Recent data suggests that Southern California and Los Angeles County have "flattened the curve." Physical distancing, wearing face coverings in public and other protective measures are effective in keeping us all as safe as possible. As we continue to work as a team in Los Angeles, UCLA Health is actively contributing to new solutions.

We've launched several clinical trials including the study of remdesivir to investigate promising therapies for COVID-19, and we are enrolling people who've recovered from COVID-19 in our convalescent plasma study.

Here's some additional information we would like to share:
• Our growing list of well-being and mental health resources: There's no doubt that this is a stressful time for everyone - but we have a lot of information to help. For instance, here's a comprehensive guide on how to reduce anxiety and fear from COVID-19, and a Q&A with UCLA Health pediatrician, Dr. Carlos Lerner, on why parents can give themselves a break when it comes to their kids and screen time. We even have a story on 5 safe and fun fitness activities you can try at home.
• NEW answers to frequently asked questions: To help you stay up-to-date on the latest COVID-19 developments, we're constantly updating our Frequently Asked Questions. Our online chat bot answers new and popular questions every day, such as, "What is serology?" The bot is located on the lower left corner of the UCLA Health website. If you're not finding the information you need, please type your question there or call our 24/7 COVID-19 hotline at 310-267-3300.
• Serology/antibody testing: An antibody test, otherwise known as a serology test, can detect if a person has had coronavirus before and has since recovered. It detects antibodies, which are proteins in the blood that fight-off infection. Serology testing has a lot of promise because it will help us understand the pervasiveness of COVID-19 in our communities. UCLA Health is currently testing health care staff and patients to see if these antibodies are present. If you think you are a candidate for COVID-19 antibody testing, please discuss with your primary care doctor.
• Expanded diagnostic testing capability: The best test to diagnose an active COVID-19 infection is still a nasopharyngeal (through the nose) swab. UCLA Health is now offering swab tests at an expanded list of primary care offices and dedicated sites, as well as for patients who are having a surgery or a procedure at one of our hospitals. If you suspect that you have COVID-19, call your doctor or 310-825-2631 for more information.
Remember, your health is our primary focus. We want to reassure you that UCLA Health is open and available to see you for your medical needs. To inquire about an appointment call 310-825-2631.

We thank you again for choosing UCLA Health.

Immunology is one of the most complicated areas of human biology and new knowledge is uncovered at an amazing rate. Old knowledge is amended or overturned incredibly fast. The human 'immune' system is almost unimaginably complex and the terminology used matches this complexity.

The system, in humans, is broken down into 'innate' and 'adaptive' (sometimes referred to as acquired). Most potential pathogens are handled by the 'innate' system which typically is represented by the Pac-man' like cells that eat things but there are many more components to this system which needs no priming. The 'adaptive' system is what people usually think of as antibodies which are protein molecules that generally aid other components of the innate system to clear and kill pathogens - antibodies are made by B lymphocytes. But again there are other components of the adaptive immune system - mainly T cells some of which control B cells, some of which are able to kill pathogens on their own or kill pathogen infected cells. T cells are also important in controlling the growth of other cells in the body and play a role in cancer suppression. But it is even more complex than innate and adaptive because other factors also play a role - such as physical barriers, stomach acid, helpful competing bacteria in the gut, on the skin, etc, etc.

So some people can have a 'natural' resistance in which the barriers and the innate system (which also includes some T cells just to confuse things) are very robust and may be able to deal with a pathogen before it can get a foothold. Other people may seem to have a natural resistance because their system is very efficient and they mount an adaptive response without getting 'sick' (sub-clinical or asymptomatic) or only mildly 'sick' and they just don't complain or don't notice. This would be the best case because then they have activated adaptive immunity which has 'memory' and if they are challenged again they will do better.

I agree with LOL!'s assessment that widespread use of the currently available antibody tests is problematic. At this point, any positive test is just as (or more) likely to be a false positive as a true positive and we have no knowledge of whether lasting immunity is conferred by the infection. The Stanford study is potentially deeply flawed. Much, much more work needs to be done. I would be very suspicious of the profit motive for offering antibody testing to the general public at this time and if I personally tested positive even after experiencing a wretched flu like illness, I would still be circumspect.

I have developed/mfg/QA of infectious disease diagnostic kits as a molecular cell biologist as well.

The diagnostic test kits manufactured by large Corp under an Emergency Use Authorization will be tested/evaluated prior to distribution with high specificity and sensitivity. They are required to meet standards even under a EUA.

On the other hand there are several labs out there (state/local universities) being used that may be good but they are more likely to be suspect as they will not all be reviewed/approved.

I never said it was. Please re-read my post.

I was only suggesting Shock was perhaps interchanging the terms.

p.s. I know what both terms mean. Also things like test specificity and sensitivity, type I and type II errors, and so on. Me have majors in computer science, economics, and a minor in math - along with a bunch of stats class taken during and after college. Not so great in Bio (didn't like cutting things). Not so great in English (grammar).

I have developed/mfg/QA of infectious disease diagnostic kits as a molecular cell biologist as well.

The diagnostic test kits manufactured by large Corp under an Emergency Use Authorization will be tested/evaluated prior to distribution with high specificity and sensitivity. They are required to meet standards even under a EUA.

On the other hand there are several labs out there (state/local universities) being used that may be good but they are more likely to be suspect as they will not all be reviewed/approved.

Thank you for posting this! Lots of posts claiming the tests are suspect, yet I don't think I've seen the test specificity and sensitivity information posted. So here we go:
https://www.evaluate.com/vantage/articles/analysis/spotlight/covid-19-antibody-tests-face-very-specific-problem

Abbott says the IgG test it released in the US last week, when performed at least two weeks after a patient has first exhibited symptoms, has sensitivity of 100% and specificity of 99.5% (New Covid-19 test and a decent first quarter buoy Abbott, April 16, 2020). The antibody test sold in the US by Becton Dickinson, developed by BD’s partner Biomedomics, has sensitivity of 88.7% and specificity of 90.6%.

So, it would be good to know for some of these published results what test provider were used, but I would feel pretty confident of the outcome if I took the Abbott test!

I never said it was. Please re-read my post.

I was only suggesting Shock was perhaps interchanging the terms.

p.s. I know what both terms mean. Also things like test specificity and sensitivity, type I and type II errors, and so on. Me have majors in computer science, economics, and a minor in math - along with a bunch of stats class taken during and after college. Not so great in Bio (didn't like cutting things). Not so great in English (grammar).
Sorry, confused you with ShokWaveRider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom