Coronavirus - Health and preparedness aspects - II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The mortality rate is actually probably higher than many of the lower figures being thrown around because they are including active cases in the calculation, when many of those people will die, but you have to wait longer. So, I prefer the "deceased" to "recovered" ratio to get a true sense of how many are dying vs. how many are recovering.

In South Korea, we have 58 deaths and 247 recovered. That's a 19% fatality rate AMONG CLOSED CASES. That number has been trending down a little since it was 22% last week. But I don't see it ever dropping to a fraction of 1%!

Based on S. Korea data, 0.68% total mortality...that's from the WSJ article I mentioned earlier that notes actual U.S. infected are likely two orders of magnitude higher than the hundreds of cases currently reported.

Still, that's more than 5 times that of seasonal flu!

Investigating link to hypertension

Note that back in 2006, it was suggested that ACE inhibitors might be BENEFICIAL in treating ARDS (Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome -- which is how it kills you, suffocating you in your own lung exudate).

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/926665

News > Medscape Medical News > Conference News > CROI 2020
Scientists Seek Answers to Hypertension–COVID-19 Link

Heather Boerner
March 11, 2020

SNIP
...data showing that more than 40% of people with severe infection had baseline hypertension. Among those with severe illness, the next most common comorbidity was diabetes, at about half that rate. Similar data have been described elsewhere, as reported by Medscape Medical News.

SARS-CoV-2 and ACE2
It turns out that SARS-CoV-2 was nearly tailor made for the human body.
Although it seems to have emerged from bats or species that bats feed on, current thinking is that there are a number of these "SARS-like" viruses already in bat communities that use ACE2 receptors to invade cells. The receptors exist in multiple species, and in humans they dot the hearts and lungs.

In addition, they play a role in the development of hypertension and diabetes, and are present in greater numbers in people with cardiovascular disease.
snip

The fact that SARS-CoV-2 targets ACE2 receptors could be significant, Baric said. For instance, ACE2 is on a sex-linked chromosome, meaning that women express the receptor at higher levels than men. But according to Wu's data, men have worse COVID-19 outcomes than women.

And then there's the issue of ACE inhibitors. Reinin–angiotensin–aldosterone system inhibitors, which include ACE inhibitors, cause an increase in the expression of ACE2 receptors, according to a recent comment in Nature Reviews Cardiology.

"The safety and potential effects of antihypertension therapy with ACE inhibitors or angiotensin-receptor blockers in patients with COVID-19 should be carefully considered," write the Chinese researchers. "Whether patients with COVID-19 and hypertension who are taking an ACE inhibitor or angiotensin-receptor blocker should switch to another antihypertensive drug remains controversial, and further evidence is required."

This increased expression of ACE2 receptors was discussed in a recent BMJ letter, in which Swiss researchers point out that "we need rapid epidemiological and preclinical studies to clarify this relationship."

If there is an association between ACE inhibitors and the virus, "we might be able to reduce the risk of fatal COVID-19 courses in many patients by temporarily replacing these drugs," they write.

However, ACE2 has been shown to play a protective role in influenza-induced acute respiratory distress syndrome and, with age, ACE2 expression drops, said Baric, who agrees that more research is needed.

"There is probably some direct relationship to the level of ACE2 expression and disease severity," he said. "And it probably plays some role in the age-related" severity trends we've seen in COVID-19.

Last edited:
... And then there's the issue of ACE inhibitors. Reinin–angiotensin–aldosterone system inhibitors, which include ACE inhibitors, cause an increase in the expression of ACE2 receptors, according to a recent comment in Nature Reviews Cardiology.

"The safety and potential effects of antihypertension therapy with ACE inhibitors or angiotensin-receptor blockers in patients with COVID-19 should be carefully considered," write the Chinese researchers. "Whether patients with COVID-19 and hypertension who are taking an ACE inhibitor or angiotensin-receptor blocker should switch to another antihypertensive drug remains controversial, and further evidence is required."

This increased expression of ACE2 receptors was discussed in a recent BMJ letter, in which Swiss researchers point out that "we need rapid epidemiological and preclinical studies to clarify this relationship."...

Yikes!

The only daily prescription I take is lisinopril, which is an ACE inhibitor, to treat what is called "essential hypertension".

Essential hypertension is high blood pressure that doesn't have a known secondary cause. It's also referred to as primary hypertension.

I am not overweight, and have no problem with diabetes which is another comorbid condition. I guess I need to cut way back on my salt intake, and forgo my glass of wine with dinner to see if I can drop this lisinopril.

It is very well-known that people with hypertension are extremely vulnerable to the virus, even more so than cancer patients. It may very well be because of the drug more than the hypertension itself. Darn!

Last edited:
DW and I have decided to stop going to our gym until this is over. Not worth the risk to ourselves our others. However, we love the folks who own and run the gym so won’t be stopping our membership.

I went to Costco, they were just about out of TP. I didn't buy any as we have about 150 days worth (guessing 1 roll/day).

I did buy paper towels as we were out of those. (If you need to use those for TP, DO NOT FLUSH THEM, throw them in the garbage, yes it's stinky but better than clogging your toilet)

Costco was responsible, had a limit of 2 per customer, and a staff person to enforce the limit.

Costco was also out of rice !!

Moi aussi....I'm on a daily 1/4 tablet of Chlorthalidone (a mild diuretic) for borderline hypertension......as mentioned here sometime previously, my BP was higher than 'anticipated' in my 30s when I was running 70 miles a week.....likewise a few years later when marathon training.

(Bad) Luck of the draw.

Just had my last cup of morning coffee too.

Life with bland food, no coffee, alcohol, travel...

Oh well, it's better than having a ventilator stuffed down your throat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom