Coronavirus - Health and preparedness aspects - II

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the CDC signs of COVID-19 are signs of ITS ALREADY VERY SERIOUS :confused:
Pretty useless advice...

I guess if you had all of them at the same time. Do you go to the ER every time you run a fever or have a headache?

I had pneumonia when I was 39. They gave me antibiotics and sent me home with orders to rest (doesn't work well with 2 young kids, but at least one was in school all day, the other a half day) and drink plenty of fluids. Except for the rest part, it worked. Before the antibiotics, I was coughing so much I strained my lower back. It took awhile to be able to straighten up fully when upright.

For sure, you know when your "cold" or "flu" isn't just that and your symptoms should have eased up already. Instead, they're getting worse.
I had pneumonia as a kid, don't remember much and again in my early 30s. Really sucked as I was still smoking Camels.[emoji23] It was in the spring of the year as it was DW's birthday and I went out to hunt Morel mushrooms and get her a birthday cake from a local grocery store.

When I was walking slowly through the store I realized how sick I was. I was sweating profusely, wheezing and starting to look purple. The check out clerk asked if I was OK? I told her it's just a little pneumonia as she backed away.

According to WHO, as of 20 February 2020 and based on 55924 laboratory confirmed cases, typical signs and symptoms include:
fever (87.9%), dry cough (67.7%), fatigue (38.1%), sputum production (33.4%), shortness of breath (18.6%), sore throat (13.9%), headache (13.6%), myalgia or arthralgia (14.8%), chills (11.4%), nausea or vomiting (5.0%), nasal congestion (4.8%), diarrhea (3.7%), and hemoptysis (0.9%), and conjunctival congestion (0.8%).

From this WHO report:
https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...na-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

And "People with COVID-19 generally develop signs and symptoms, including mild respiratory symptoms and fever, on an average of 5-6 days after infection (mean incubation period 5-6 days, range 1-14 days)."

Still looking for a differential diagnosis between the 3 illnesses. Maybe:
cold or flu? If flu, give Tamiflu & do seasonal lab test. If negative, can't do anything else yet because the COVID-19 lab test isn't really rolled out yet. So ask to self-quarantine?

What progression of symptoms indicates COVID-19 vs seasonal or common cold etc?

If symptoms occur, call your MD or emergency services (isolated ambulance ride so you don't infect people along the way)?

Those lists of disinfectants is helpful. It would be even better if it provided the active ingredient and it's concentration along with contact time.

And which have actual lab tests vs just using the legal loophole that allows them to label it as such without actually doing tests on THIS virus.

Pretty useless advice...

WADR, I think you're letting fear run away with your common sense. You would not normally go to an ER for anything less than a very serious condition, would you? That's why they're called emergency rooms.

It seems that you're looking for a simple flow chart of easily quantifiable and identifiable symptoms that will tell you exactly what to do. But diseases don't work that way.

What about a bag of rags using bleach? Would they be safe after a hot wash and dry?

Like disinfecting diapers. Sure.

Bleach is an oxidizer.
Oxidizer plus nitrogen (cotton...) = fire or kaboom.
Keep them wet after use.
This is really about things like pool shock crystals getting humid in contact with cotton. & maybe wood fiber (paper towels) ?

Pretty useless advice...

It's not useless advice at all. Why are you being so dramatic?

I've had plenty of illnesses with a high fever, cough (dry and phlegm, not in the same illness), chest congestion, runny/stuff nose, headache, digestive upsets, etc., etc. None have made me feel as if I needed to go to the ER. Home care was sufficient most of the time. An occasional doctor visit that usually resulted in needed antibiotics.

The major defining factor in this coronavirus that absolutely requires a visit to the ER is when you're having trouble breathing. Coronavirus or not, anytime you're having trouble breathing, then it's time to be in the ER, IMO. No questions asked.

Like disinfecting diapers. Sure.

Bleach is an oxidizer.
Oxidizer plus nitrogen (cotton...) = fire or kaboom.
Keep them wet after use.
This is really about things like pool shock crystals getting humid in contact with cotton. & maybe wood fiber (paper towels) ?

I'm confused about pool crystals and regular bleach.

If I bleach my underwear and put them in the dryer, they generally don't blow up. I also don't like to keep my underpants wet.

So, yeah, I get if they are wet that's OK. But not sure about the fire part.

BTW, my cousin had a fire with the classic oily rag thing. It is real, so I'm not pooh-poohing what you say. Just confused that regular bleach could do it.

If you scan through the lists, you will see many common household Clorox products used for cleaning. The common disinfectant ingredient in them is sodium hypochlorite. It's powerful stuff. Pool water with a few ppm of it can kill most microbes. The stuff that you buy is more concentrated, of up to several percent. It is used in hospitals too.

And sodium hypochlorite is also in the bleach that you pour into your cloth washer. And it is also in the generic bleach that is dirt cheap.

I just bought 2 jugs of it from Walmart, the plain non-scented, splashy type.
It was concentrated vs normal bleach so stronger, meaning mix with more water.
They had a bunch.
Wine was also on sale, at $2.50/btl , so bought some of those to kill any interior virus ;)

I'm confused about pool crystals and regular bleach.

If I bleach my underwear and put them in the dryer, they generally don't blow up. I also don't like to keep my underpants wet.

So, yeah, I get if they are wet that's OK. But not sure about the fire part.

BTW, my cousin had a fire with the classic oily rag thing. It is real, so I'm not pooh-poohing what you say. Just confused that regular bleach could do it.

Your underwear are rinsed (so practically no bleach in them) before they are dried in the dryer. So no fire risk.

Looking for the differential diagnosis between seasonal flu, common cold, and COVID-19. They say the symptoms are "different" but I can't find the details.

The kicker is that some people only get very mild symptoms, like a mild cough, stuffy nose, and slight fever and never develop to anything more.
https://nationalpost.com/news/world/u-s-to-evacuate-citizens-from-virus-hit-diamond-princess-ship

I also heard that there are two strains of the virus going around (although this is preliminary findings), so maybe that plays a role also.
https://globalnews.ca/news/6634604/coronavirus-two-strains/

I just bought 2 jugs of it from Walmart, the plain non-scented, splashy type.
It was concentrated vs normal bleach so stronger, meaning mix with more water.
They had a bunch.
Wine was also on sale, at $2.50/btl , so bought some of those to kill any interior virus ;)

There ya go. Bleach on the outside, alcohol - flavored and drinkable ethanol, not methanol nor isopropyl :nonono: - for the inside, and you are set.

I mentioned twice earlier that I carried a small 4-oz bottle of undiluted generic bleach in my pocket, plus a couple of sheets of kitchen towel with me when I went shopping. I used it to wipe the handle of the shopping cart, and then my fingers when I exited the store.

Man, I should dilute that out some. I am already getting addicted to that bleach smell. Ah, the smell of bleach in the mornin'.

PS. Hey, just thought of something. Instead of kitchen towels, how 'bout used dryer sheets, in keeping up with the spirit of this forum? I think we have lost the sense of frugality over the years. Perhaps it will come back once the market drops more than 50% as it did in 2008-2009.

Last edited:
If something is killing 3% and the side effects of a treatment kill 0.01%, some might still take it

Of course. And that is fine if the data is there, provided to them, and they make an informed choice. The tragedy if testing is cut short, (near) desperate people take a new med and then get worse, or die. Overlay our litigious society on top of that and rest assured, NO pharma will ever take that risk.

Apparently more people in my city are stocking up on items (I live north of Dallas). I logged onto my Kroger account and at the top of the page, I saw this....

Due to high demand and to support all customers, we will be limiting the number of Sanitization, Cold and Flu related products to 5 each per order. Your order may be modified at time of pickup or delivery.

Not sure if that applies to shoppers that go to the store, but I assume it would.

Apparently more people in my city are stocking up on items (I live north of Dallas). I logged onto my Kroger account and at the top of the page, I saw this....

Due to high demand and to support all customers, we will be limiting the number of Sanitization, Cold and Flu related products to 5 each per order. Your order may be modified at time of pickup or delivery.

Not sure if that applies to shoppers that go to the store, but I assume it would.

I saw this sign at Fred Meyer today which is now Kroger owned. I bought a couple bottles of hydrogen peroxide and a small bottle of ibuprofen. Wanted some rubbing alcohol, but didn't see any. Also bought some tp that was in their ad so I'm now officially a tp hoarder and won't need to purchase any for a long long time!

Of course. And that is fine if the data is there, provided to them, and they make an informed choice. The tragedy if testing is cut short, (near) desperate people take a new med and then get worse, or die. Overlay our litigious society on top of that and rest assured, NO pharma will ever take that risk.

I am reasonably sure an executive order could override restrictions on use and also relieve the pharma of liability in a time which could be considered a national emergency.

For example, if hospitals are overrun and people are dead with nobody willing to touch them, the president could easily issue a order for Gilead, Merck, whoever, to provide a clinical drug even if it has not gone through FDA testing. The court system would not hold the company responsible.

Just wondering: could you get influenza and Coronavirus at the SAME time:confused: That would be very bad

Just wondering: could you get influenza and Coronavirus at the SAME time:confused: That would be very bad

I was thinking the same thing except with a cold. Wife brought a cold home and now of course I have it. Seems like a bad double whammy should it happen.

Last night I was following the story on the west coast with Washington outbreak at a nursing home, and then the story about California and the Grand Princess cruise ship. I missed the story about the Manhattan lawyer on the east coast.

This lawyer has infected his wife, two of his 4 children, and another family of 5. Health officials traced his whereabouts to his law office, the court, his Jewish temple, etc... There are now 2733 people under quarantine in NYC. The lawyer is in critical condition. No words on how he got infected.

Last edited:
The phenomenon of people stocking up on TP and bottled water is occurring all around the world.

I was going to post photos of empty store shelves in Italy, Australia, Germany, France, Korea, Singapore, Japan, etc... but you can surf the Web and see for yourself.

TP manufacturers are running their factories 24/7 to meet demand. :)

PS. Tomorrow, I will buy some shares of TP makers. It's not really for this short-term burst of profit, but this consumer staple is virtually recession-proof, if you think about it. When the economy goes down the tube, people will not have money for a new smartphone, but do you think they will stop buying TP?

Last edited:
To help with the shortage of TP, an Australian newspaper has printed extra 8 pages, which are blank but with cut guidelines for its readers to cut into TP sheets.

The front page of the NT News says:

"Run out of loo paper? The NT News cares. That's why we've printed an eight-page special liftout inside, complete with handy cut lines, for you to use in an emergency. Get your limited edition one-ply toilet newspaper sheets."

PS. Why can't you use regular print pages? Perhaps it's something about the ink smearing... :nonono:

Last edited:
These are Italy's latest guidelines, which is food for thought for all of us here in the U.S., especially people like me near tourist areas and cruise ship ports, since it is unclear how we stack up compared to the lack of testing and more accurate stats here:

https://www.thelocal.it/20200304/no...s-stay-home-italys-new-coronavirus-guidelines
No kissing for greetings, 75+ should stay home, 65+ with health problems and people with respiratory conditions have also been advised to stay at home, sporting events closed to the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom