Coronavirus - Health and preparedness aspects - II

Status
Not open for further replies.
To help with the shortage of TP, an Australian newspaper has printed extra 8 pages, which are blank but with cut guidelines for its readers to cut into TP sheets.

The front page of the NT News says:

PS. Why can't you use regular print pages? Perhaps it's something about the ink smearing... :nonono:

It's like the old days of using the Sears catalog in the outhouse. The modern version would be to turn on your fire tablet and browse Amazon, but it won't as well ;)

The phenomenon of people stocking up on TP and bottled water is occurring all around the world.

I was going to post photos of empty store shelves in Italy, Australia, Germany, France, Korea, Singapore, Japan, etc... but you can surf the Web and see for yourself.

TP manufacturers are running their factories 24/7 to meet demand. :)

PS. Tomorrow, I will buy some shares of TP makers. It's not really for this short-term burst of profit, but this consumer staple is virtually recession-proof, if you think about it. When the economy goes down the tube, people will not have money for a new smartphone, but do you think they will stop buying TP?

I can only speak for France, but I have yet to see a shortage of bottled water or TP in grocery stores (and I live close to one of the hardest hit areas of France). There were some reports of shortages in select locations, but these are not widespread. I visited several stores yesterday and the shelves were well stocked everywhere. There were no shortages of food or disinfecting household products either. The only product hard to come by, in my experience, is hand sanitizer and the government is working on a solution (allowing pharmacies to make their own for example).

Last edited:
Just back from the local Menards. Still no face dust masks in the paint dept, and now the cartridge type full face respirators are leaving the shelves. Only 2 left.

I needed some thin vinyl gloves for painting. They had a full stock of those. Odd - I would think that folks would be wearing these light gloves maybe in addition to hand sanitizer

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/h...e/news-story/f58f19c5eeae99b845c54e2d2b9305ca

Says Chinese Dr.s say covid19 is like a combination of SARS and AIDS and can cause irreparable lung damage so even surviving can be life altering.
Near naked link. Let me add a few more points:

• based on autopsies of deceased patients. One was 85.
  • QUOTE: "The paper did not say that all coronavirus patients will suffer permanent fibrosis."
  • Unknown what the effect is on recovered patients.

I'll say this: 2 years ago, a close friend was in the hospital in Asia for 3 weeks due to influenza. He had great care at a center that was world class. Saved his life (only 58 years old). This flu episode and near death left him with permanent lung issues. He is very worried about COVID because of that.

Fibrosis can occur without cause too. My DW's boss died from idiopathic fibrosis in his 50s. And as my friend presents, flu can scar your lungs too.

Yes, be concerned, but let's keep this in perspective.

To help with the shortage of TP, an Australian newspaper has printed extra 8 pages, which are blank but with cut guidelines for its readers to cut into TP sheets.

The front page of the NT News says:

PS. Why can't you use regular print pages? Perhaps it's something about the ink smearing... :nonono:

Grew up in Hungary with outhouse, and no indoor plumbing. The public water source was a quarter mile away, hauling water in 5 gallon buckets.

The standard re-use for newsprint was wipe and drop in the pit. Particular pleasure from using the face of whatever leader was picured. Also useful in in cold winter to light off a sheet of the paper and drop in the hole for temporary warmth. Outhouse seats are not fun at at 0F. Oh yeah and it was well ventilated with 1/2" gaps betwwen the wall slabs. Nothing like the winter wind whistling through and fanning the exposed butt.

>>To help with the shortage of TP, an Australian newspaper has printed extra 8 pages, which are blank but with cut guidelines for its readers to cut into TP sheets.

It's like the old days of using the Sears catalog in the outhouse. The modern version would be to turn on your fire tablet and browse Amazon, but it won't work as well ;)

Maybe there's an app for that!

Maybe there's an app for that!

I immediately imagined an ER doc talking to the patient, “tell me Mr Al, exactly how did you get this iPhone lodged up here?”

I immediately imagined an ER doc talking to the patient, “tell me Mr Al, exactly how did you get this iPhone lodged up here?”

LOL.

Covid-19 and Warmer Weather

One of the unknowns has been what will happen when the weather warms up. Will Covid-19 cases drop as happens with the seasonal flu?

Here's the current Johns Hopkins map:

6mQBthR.png

Do the cases in the Southern Hemisphere (e.g. 60 in Australia, 13 in Ecuador) give us any information on that (assuming there's community spread down there)?

Not really worried about the virus, but about the reaction.
Picked up 5lbs rice and 4lbs beans in case I'm "voluntarily" quarantined. It will get used in any case.
Only thing the store was out of was hand sanitizer. Plenty of TP and water.
People still out and about. 30,000 showed up for a college basketball game between two teams that neither will probably make the big dance, even after a week of media fear mongering. Gym seems more crowded then normal. WallyWorld parking lot looks normal.

In the careful-what-you-ask-for department, this thread from January, 2019:

Me: In my next book, I want a global pandemic that will almost wipe out the human race. My idea is an avian flu or ebola-type deal that checks all the boxes for devastation: mutates fast, extremely contagious, can live for a long time on surfaces, etc.

tb001: The other thing you want is a long incubation time. Gives an individual more time to spread the infection while they’re unaware they have it.

Sunset: Spreading of the virus by airplane travelers is one way to ensure massively quick distribution around the world, if it was very contagious without symptoms for a week or two.

joeea: Widespread conspiracy theories, advanced by the then-current Administration, cause a large percentage of people to ignore appropriate medical advice. The pandemic thus spreads more quickly and is far more deadly than it should have been.

Sunset: Regular cruise ships can easily take 6 days to cross Atlantic, would they be refused docking once at Manhatten due to the rising plague.

Me: I actually believe that most people are so used to the normal flow and ease of life that they can't imagine a global apocalypse.

Nords: Cronin's [book, The Passage] starts with contagious bats,​

Last edited:
In the careful-what-you-ask-for department, this thread from January, 2019:
Me: In my next book, I want a global pandemic that will almost wipe out the human race. My idea is an avian flu or ebola-type deal that checks all the boxes for devastation: mutates fast, extremely contagious, can live for a long time on surfaces, etc.

tb001: The other thing you want is a long incubation time. Gives an individual more time to spread the infection while they’re unaware they have it.

Sunset: Spreading of the virus by airplane travelers is one way to ensure massively quick distribution around the world, if it was very contagious without symptoms for a week or two.

joeea: Widespread conspiracy theories, advanced by the then-current Administration, cause a large percentage of people to ignore appropriate medical advice. The pandemic thus spreads more quickly and is far more deadly than it should have been.

Sunset: Regular cruise ships can easily take 6 days to cross Atlantic, would they be refused docking once at Manhatten due to the rising plague.

Me: I actually believe that most people are so used to the normal flow and ease of life that they can't imagine a global apocalypse.

Nords: Cronin's [book, The Passage] starts with contagious bats,​

Oops, next time I better keep my mouth shut..... :-X

Oops, next time I better keep my mouth shut..... :-X

See, all what is happening now is not outside the realm of the imagination.

How does it end Al?

May I suggest this: Just as people think they have a handle on containing the virus and a vaccine under test looks promising, astronauts sound the alarm on a huge asteroid approaching Earth on a collision course.

To know what happens next, the reader has to wait for a follow-up novel.

See, all what is happening now is not outside the realm of the imagination.

May I suggest this: Just as people think they have a handle on containing the virus and a vaccine under test looks promising, astronauts sound the alarm on a huge asteroid approaching Earth on a collision course.

To know what happens next, the reader has to wait for a follow-up novel.

They do say bad things come in threes, so you might need to add and alien invasion to the plt.

They do say bad things come in threes, so you might need to add and alien invasion to the plt.

In the next book: The asteroid turns out to be a humongous alien spaceship!

At our church's council meeting about three weeks ago, DW (the pastor) suggested that the church buy enough hand sanitizer to put in each of the pews. This was while it was still cheap and easily available.

The council shot it down.

Now they have serious regrets. Though DW did still buy about a dozen bottles out of her own pocket anyway, just not enough to cover all the pews. We have enough for now, but who knows how long this will go on?

Last edited:
In the next book: The asteroid turns out to be a humongous alien spaceship!

Can't do that because that was the plot of my first fiction book (Contact Us) in which the alien culled 70% of the human population.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom