Coronavirus - Travel impacts II

Status
Not open for further replies.
As to the idea of denial to board if you're sneezing and/or sniffing, I see it as a problem. There are days where I sneeze a bunch due to allergies. I'd hate to miss a trip because of that. If it were effective, I'd take one for the team, but if there are 10 asymptomatic passengers that do get on board, then keeping allergy-boy from boarding isn't going to help anything.

On another topic, I'm worried about an aspect of my trip, due to the nature of the trip. People will be traveling from all over the world, through, and likely from densely populated places. Then, on to very unpopulated areas. Not a problem for us, but I wonder if the locals will be worrying about these international travelers bringing in the virus. If I were them, living in 'the boonies', I'd be very wary of such visitors. And I'd have a difficult time living with knowing that the expanding 'red dot' on the map was my fault.

In China and some other places, you get temperature scanned at the airport and other places. I don't think everyone that sneezes should be denied boarding. However, someone that sounds like they have pneumonia and does not have the common sense and courtesy to stay home needs to have someone with better judgement make the decision for them. It makes more sense than shutting down all the schools because the virus is in the area.

We're 3 weeks from leaving on a trip to Berlin, Dresden, Krakow and Budapest. We're not traveling with a group, and seldom experience large crowds in our travels other than on an airplane. I've seen no talk of problems in these cities, thank Goodness.

The alternative for this year may be domestic travel for many people. So far, so good in North America for the most part. But after extensive travel for work prior to ER, we only travel internationally--usually Europe.

Some of our best trips have been in times of trouble. We once were the only Americans in the Hofbrauhaus on a Saturday night back in 2001--right before going into Iraq.

With so many airplanes being grounded and so many cruise cancellations across the world, look for fares in travel to hit rock bottom in the coming months--and bargains will be everywhere. The trick will be choosing locales where health problems will be greatly minimized. It might also be a great year to head for colder northern places--like Scandinavia--where virus' don't live so well. Any way it goes, this subject is To Be Continued . . . . .

I was watching the news last night and the experts expect the height of the virus in August in the states so it’s not looking good for our Europe trip in August. We were so looking forward to being gone a month. Maybe the airline will cancel so we get our money back.

I was watching the news last night and the experts expect the height of the virus in August in the states so it’s not looking good for our Europe trip in August. We were so looking forward to being gone a month. Maybe the airline will cancel so we get our money back.

The news must be reading these threads as a great poster already worked this out days ago. :cool:

As to the idea of denial to board if you're sneezing and/or sniffing, I see it as a problem. There are days where I sneeze a bunch due to allergies. I'd hate to miss a trip because of that. If it were effective, I'd take one for the team, but if there are 10 asymptomatic passengers that do get on board, then keeping allergy-boy from boarding isn't going to help anything...

+1

Both times when I spent time in Tuscany, and last year in Spain, I was hit with severe hay fever attacks. Too many darn olive trees. In the current atmosphere, I would not want to be seen sneezing or having a sniffle.

The original plan was already for 2020 to be an RV'ing year. I see nothing yet that keeps me from doing that, except for the health of my mother-in-law, who's under the care of my wife.

Well there's evidence that the virus has been spreading in the Pacific NW for 6 weeks, so US isn't immune from this outbreak.

The fear is that lack of testing has basically hidden all the cases.

I just spoke to my Father-In-law and he said that they just cancelled the Geneva auto show. All gatherings over over 1000 people are now banned in Switzerland. France is also banning large gatherings. The upside to this is that when we do travel to Switzerland in May, we won't have to deal with big crowds with their mobile phones on their selfie sticks at popular locations. Airlines are already cutting back on the number of flights to Asia and Europe as demand falls off.

I googled Rod Stewart, Caesars, and Las Vegas to see if there was any coronavirus info on his concerts. None, but Rod had a knee replacement last month and is supposedly ready to Rock.

I just spoke to my Father-In-law and he said that they just cancelled the Geneva auto show. All gatherings over over 1000 people are now banned in Switzerland. France is also banning large gatherings. The upside to this is that when we do travel to Switzerland in May, we won't have to deal with big crowds with their mobile phones on their selfie sticks at popular locations. Airlines are already cutting back on the number of flights to Asia and Europe as demand falls off.

That’s unfortunate. I have tickets for an IIHF hockey game in Lausanne in May. Hopefully this is stable before then, otherwise I need to start thinking about other plans.

We are going to France and Switzerland later this year
We bought comprehensive trip insurance. We always do for big trips.

Do you mind saying which carrier, how much the premiums were, how much in coverage?

CFAR policies have to be purchased when you make your first payment on a trip, at least those I've found so far.

So would be interested to know if that wasn't the case.

So now that there is 1 case in Dominican Republic, we are going to cancel our trip there in April.
We will probably lose around 1400 for hotels in Miami and DR. We have insurance, but it will not cover epidemics (pandemic perhaps).
Had planned some safety around the tainted liquor issue from last year.

Still discussing our cruise to the Caribbean in June. It goes to Mexico, which has 5 cases so far. Would need to cancel by Mar 10th, then would just lose the deposit of 258.:(

Last edited:
A cruise ship is probably the worst overall environment for contamination of any type of travel we might think of doing.
Yep, mainly because you're on it for a long time.

And, we've got reservations for a cruise out of Long Beach, starting two weeks from today. I could easily see them going ahead with the cruise, but no shore excursions. I see that Jamaica wouldn't let people off one cruise ship this week.

I see the cruise line is still selling cabins on a "to be assigned at boarding" basis. I don't know if that is common, or if it reflects late cancellations.

My primary concern is getting off the ship at the end of the cruise.

Regarding the issue of sneezing and runny nose from allergies being confused with the Coronavirus (I sneeze and sniff a lot from allergies)--I think I read that the main symptoms from Coronavirus is a dry cough down in the lungs, shortness of breath and temperature and occasional stomach upset--not so much sneezing and nasal congestion.

I have a 31 day cruise starting from Buenos Aires this coming week. Hoping for the best. South America is one of the least affected so far. Not sure if that’s good or bad.

I've always resented my wife for refusing to go on a cruise for vacations. States that cruising is too risky for catching germs. She'd go on a river but not ocean. She's an ICU RN and I thought she was being overly cautious because of her working experience. Now with this covid, I told her she's a genius.

Regarding the issue of sneezing and runny nose from allergies being confused with the Coronavirus (I sneeze and sniff a lot from allergies)--I think I read that the main symptoms from Coronavirus is a dry cough down in the lungs, shortness of breath and temperature and occasional stomach upset--not so much sneezing and nasal congestion.

Thanks for sharing. Next time I get an allergy attack, I will not panic and run to the ER for fear of having caught the virus.

Now, all I need is to make placards with that info, and carry them on my chest and back when I travel.

I have a 31 day cruise starting from Buenos Aires this coming week. Hoping for the best. South America is one of the least affected so far. Not sure if that’s good or bad.

Or they just haven't been testing down there.

We have plans to visit London and Rome at the end of April. Apart from the flights, other expense like hotels and tours have been booked as reserve now pay later so we can cancel right up to day of departure without cost. I'm hoping that if things in Europe get worse our flights will be made changeable without penalty. If not, I guess we''l have to eat that cost. At this point, our trip is looking increasingly iffy.

I'd posted earlier we probably won't be heading to the UK and Iceland for five weeks in mid-May. Too long away, with too high a possibility of travel disruptions. This year I prepaid more than usual so we're out about $2,500. Conventional travel insurance (which I have) won't cover it.

Just today I decided to forfeit about $400 on a domestic trip in August to an arts colony. I'd have no hesitation about a conventional US vacation (at least close to home) but this involves close contact in venues with thousands of folks, mainly elderly who may be more likely to be infectious. Checked my contract only to realize I actually owe the entire amount for the two-week rental refundable only if re-rented. That's another loss of $2,500 unless this dies down by then.

The bold? Are experts giving up on seasonal fluctuation with respite during warm weather?

This is an issue in our home right now with my daughter's boyfriend who struggles with allergies to our cat. He sneezes all over the house. Young and healthy, he's among the category most likely to show minimal if any symptoms but may be able to still spread the virus. Plus, he works as a teacher with possible young petri dishes (although I'm hoping children spread covid-19 as infrequently as they become ill).

My concern is that a sneeze due to the allergy may bring with it a virus that would otherwise remain deep within his respiratory system. So much is unknown.

Our solution is to box up dust-gathering items in DDs room, clean like crazy, and get a HEPA filter air cleaner to attack the allergies. The cat stays, as does the boyfriend - although he might get banished from the kitchen.

Last edited:
My concern is that a sneeze due to the allergy may bring with it a virus that would otherwise remain deep within his respiratory system. So much is unknown.

I don't see that happening, if a person has the covid-19, because it affects the lungs, they are going to be coughing up the virus with or without allergies.

Last edited:
American Airlines has a new temporary change to their purchase policy (effective for purchase from 3/1 to 3/16) where you can get a credit on any purchase of a ticket (travel from 3/1/2020 to 1/26/2021) if you cancel your flight within 2 weeks of the travel date. Here are the details...this will explain it better than I did:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/no-change-fee-terms-and-conditions.jsp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom