COVID-19 Health and Preparedness - Strictly Moderated

Status
Not open for further replies.
That must be how it's done as I've heard there are websites where people do that everyday :blush:
Normally all they give you is a cream... Probably the same cream for everything. So they'll give you the cream again and charge you.

Normally all they give you is a cream... Probably the same cream for everything. So they'll give you the cream again and charge you.

In Florida they are always freezing something .So maybe they just have you put your arm in your freezer for a few minutes ?

I used to lifeguard at many pools and that smell of chlorine in a pool is the chlorine (active ingredient in bleach) evaporating.

Ah, not quite. A properly chlorinated pool will not smell acridly of chlorine. It may smell briefly like the fresh chlorine coming from the jug but if it's acrid, it's combined chloramines and the solution to it is to burn them off with more chlorine in your pool.

With all the threads, don't know if this had been posted:
FDA Approves first antibody test: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2020/04/02/fda-oks-first-coronavirus-blood-test-track-immunity-test-vaccines/5116281002/

Saw a tweet on a doctor who took the test (and found out that he was positive, i.e. had Covid19 in the past without knowing it)

Also, list of FDA Emergency Use authorizations for various things: https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/emergency-situations-medical-devices/emergency-use-authorizations#covid19ivd

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but I would like to know...

If someone was to be hospitalized due to COVID-19 and be treated (being on a ventilator for days, medication, etc) who is going to pay for the hospitalization/treatment/prescription, etc? Is something other than the person's health insurance kick in as this is a pandemic?

If someone was to be hospitalized due to COVID-19 and be treated (being on a ventilator for days, medication, etc) who is going to pay for the hospitalization/treatment/prescription, etc? Is something other than the person's health insurance kick in as this is a pandemic?

So Far:

"Trump Administration to Pay Hospitals to Treat Uninsured Coronavirus Patients"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-...at-uninsured-coronavirus-patients-11585927877

Last edited:

I watched a task force broadcast where they said blue cross would waive the costs deductible, copays.... I think they are pressuring other insurers to do the same.

They also said uninsured people are covered by the government. Not sure how that works either.

So Far:

"Trump Administration to Pay Hospitals to Treat Uninsured Coronavirus"

Patientshttps://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-administration-plans-to-pay-hospitals-to-treat-uninsured-coronavirus-patients-11585927877
Couldn't read due to paywall.

So I guess if you have a Bronze policy with a $7K deductible, just say you have no insurance to avoid the bill?

Couldn't read due to paywall.

So I guess if you have a Bronze policy with a $7K deductible, just say you have no insurance to avoid the bill?

I don't know. Your tax return shows your ACA coverage. So, not like that government can not find out eventually.

There are a bunch of insurers who have stated they will be waiving co-pays, etc. Similar for Medicare/Medicaid, and has someone has already mentioned for the uninsured.

Here is an article on some of them (as of a couple days ago): https://www.ahip.org/health-insurance-providers-respond-to-coronavirus-covid-19/

As an aside, it appears that "When in doubt, mark it COVID19" is happening. That is, there have been cases/discussions of deaths of seemingly unrelated issues and if the test finds they are positive, the death is being counted as a Covid19 count. (And I am too lazy to look up where I've seen it being discussed.)

Wearing gloves....at the supermarket and elsewhere...don't presume you're therefore invulnerable:

Wearing gloves....at the supermarket and elsewhere...don't presume you're therefore invulnerable:

Yep. Even though I haven't been out to any stores, I am cleaning my phone and iPad a couple times a day. And every day I need to argue with my 17 year old about this - I continue to get push back "It's not dirty".

The issue is that most people (probably myself included) are limited in our abilities to do actual strict procedures to (as much as possible) eliminate exposure.

I wear gloves for the same reason I wear a face cover at the grocery store. To protect other workers. If I’m infected, I’m spreading the virus to everything I touch. Putting gloves on puts a layer between me and everything else at the store and minimizes the possibility of me spreading the virus to other people through my hands.

Until not touching my face becomes an ingrained habit (I'm getting there), I wear gloves when going out to 'remind' me not to touch my face. When wearing gloves I act just like I don't have them on because of cross contamination which will occur whether or not one is wearing gloves.

I watched a task force broadcast where they said blue cross would waive the costs deductible, copays.... I think they are pressuring other insurers to do the same.

They also said uninsured people are covered by the government. Not sure how that works either.

Supposedly the administration was entertaining re-opening enrollment for the ACA.

The health insurers trade group had urged it be done.

But they decided at the last minute they would pay the uninsured bills directly.

Some predictions of 40% premium increases next year, if they do pay for all these tests and hospital stays.

Supposedly the administration was entertaining re-opening enrollment for the ACA.

The health insurers trade group had urged it be done.

But they decided at the last minute they would pay the uninsured bills directly.

Some predictions of 40% premium increases next year, if they do pay for all these tests and hospital stays.

Interesting about the potential impact on premiums. I never understood the reopen enrollment thing - if you are layed off that is a qualifying event and you can enroll.

I guess there are a number of people who just passed on enrolling, figured they wouldn't get sick

So some states like CA has opened enrollment through early June I believe.

But if the federal govt. is paying for their tests and treatment, why bother.

Though my understanding is that the administration may be planning to pay for these uninsured bills from the stimulus bill, which had $100 billion allocated for hospitals. So the hospitals trade association expressed concern that they're not going to get as much aid as they had expected.

Interesting about the potential impact on premiums. I never understood the reopen enrollment thing - if you are layed off that is a qualifying event and you can enroll.

You are correct. But that doesn't make for good news, it is somehow better to ask over and over at press conferences as to why they aren't doing open enrollment.

Until not touching my face becomes an ingrained habit (I'm getting there), I wear gloves when going out to 'remind' me not to touch my face. When wearing gloves I act just like I don't have them on because of cross contamination which will occur whether or not one is wearing gloves.

It’s a hard habit to break. For me, eyes and mouth are danger areas. There was a Seinfeld episode that brought my attention to the nose so that’s old history.

No, being laid off is not a qualifying event. Losing your health insurance when you lose employment is a qualifying event. So, all those people who lost their jobs but did not have employer related health insurance can't get insurance now.

There are lots of people who don't already have insurance because they couldn't afford the premiums. The reason to allow open enrollment now is to provide a source of coverage to pay for Covid treatment. Sure, if the government pays for it directly to hospitals that is fine. But, the devil is in the details. Many, many, many people may end up having Covid related medical treatment but without a confirmed diagnosis. Or, they get something caused by Covid (pneumonia, for example) and the government refuses to pay. Or the person isn't in the hospital but still needs medical care, etc.

Sounds like a Minnesota girl. I'm right there with her. I don't bother with gloves because of what she said about washing every time you touch something. Nobody is doing that in the grocery store.

I wear gloves for the same reason I wear a face cover at the grocery store. To protect other workers. If I’m infected, I’m spreading the virus to everything I touch. Putting gloves on puts a layer between me and everything else at the store and minimizes the possibility of me spreading the virus to other people through my hands.
I don't get it. The skin of your hands or the surface of your gloves seem equally likely to transmit. Maybe if, say, your steering wheel was contaminated and you put on gloves, you could prevent sharing your virus, but that also could be done by a bit of hand sanitizer and/or cleaning the stuff you touch.

It’s a hard habit to break. For me, eyes and mouth are danger areas. There was a Seinfeld episode that brought my attention to the nose so that’s old history.
It was a pick :)

No, being laid off is not a qualifying event. Losing your health insurance when you lose employment is a qualifying event. So, all those people who lost their jobs but did not have employer related health insurance can't get insurance now.

They don't check, so these folks can claim this and get ACA.

Another great interview from Peter Attia;

https://peterattiamd.com/ameshadalja/

The first 10 minutes Dr. Amesh explains how the CV19 virus snuck into the USA and spent about 2 months spreading unabated.

Lots of other good information about the danger of big crowds, what we need to do while waiting for a vaccine, why masks have to be done right or they may cause more harm than good, and more.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom