Covid Changed Our Neighborhood Dynamics...

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
When Covid struck last year, our formerly very social neighborhood clamped down - understandably. People used to get together inside and out, or just sit in their driveways with a cold drink often. That mostly stopped last year - understandably.

Maybe I'm getting impatient, and we are very cautious - wearing masks, social distancing, staying outdoors where possible. And I know the new variant has many people on edge again, but we've all had access to the vaccine and it's easy to get together outdoors safely IMO.

But now that summer is over, it was a grim year for neighborhood socializing unfortunately. Our very neighborly subdivision has all gone inside...

Guess I should just be patient, though this will take a while to overcome, I hope it's not permanent.

Very similar experience here. Even worse, a few new neighbors have moved in in the intervening time, and I have not been able to properly greet them and inculcate the (former?) friendly neighborhood vibe

If that was the norm in your neighborhood, seems like you should go sit in your driveway with a cold drink, and some to share, and see if anyone stops by to say hello. Someone has to make the first move.

If that was the norm in your neighborhood, seems like you should go sit in your driveway with a cold drink, and some to share, and see if anyone stops by to say hello. Someone has to make the first move.

Yes, this! Start an outdoor neighborhood happy hour. Send out an email or flyer and make it a "bring your own lawn chair and beverage" event. That's about as easy as hosting a party can be.

Yeah, that sounds like a great idea!

We actually do that. A neighbor who lives in the middle of the block goes out to their driveway at the same time in the early evening every week in good weather. All are invited to bring a lawn chair and a cold drink and join the conversation. We've done that for several years and it's great. You get to keep up on the local gossip, trade travel stories, and generally get to know people.
Typically there will be 4-5 homeowners, with or without spouses, and they're not always the same ones. It's a great idea.

Good timing on this thread as I have just stepped into the house at 10:30pm having spent over 6 hours in my neighbor’s house with about 10 others at his 58th birthday party. No particular reason to celebrate a 58th birthday except that it has been a tough year and he wanted to get back to some normality.

In 3 or 4 days time I will do a home Covid test just to be sure, before going to a planned football match, so not exactly back to pre-Covid times.

We had a reverse situation. In April of 2020 out ward committeeman suggested that neighbors try an outdoor happy hour on Friday afternoons. We did and it became a fixture and is still going. We have even had bands play. Outside socializing seems safe for vaccinated folks, even with Delta.

We had a reverse situation. In April of 2020 out ward committeeman suggested that neighbors try an outdoor happy hour on Friday afternoons. We did and it became a fixture and is still going. We have even had bands play. Outside socializing seems safe for vaccinated folks, even with Delta.

I play golf 3-4 times a week and there are 20 guys that show up to play in our circle. Afterward we all sit around outside at the club and socialize. I don't feel bulletproof but I rarely feel unsafe there. We're all vaccinated tho. As far as my neighborhood goes we haven't had many gatherings over the years other than a once a year cookout. I was out of town last year but I understand it was a small crowd.

Have you seen the attendance at college football games on tv? You would never know there is a virus going around.

Our neighborhood has mostly ignored COVID and gone on business as usual.

For me personally, the biggest impact was between March and May of 2020 when our city took away our pickleball nets so that we could not gather and play. That was hard on the community as we have hundreds of people who regularly show up to play and socialize there. Around the end of May they put the nets back up and we’ve been playing together outdoors ever since.

Same here too. The across the street has his everlasting yard sale every Saturday.

I have been socializing with people I have met in my condo building. We are all vaccinated.

It’s sad but my whole family dynamic has changed and I am persona non grata. I am vaccinated but had Covid 2.5 months after the vax. DH is not vaccinated but Covid recovered at the end of July. I am welcome but DH is not which in my book means I am unwelcome. The Holidays are coming and guess what I may not have a family after that.

It’s sad. People have gone crazy in my book. I can talk natural immunity until I am dead but remain unwelcome. Funny thing is the one sister who has severely compromised DH has no issues with us. I will never wear a mask again unless forced been there had that just ready to have a life again. How long this craziness lasts, I don’t know but be very careful who you alienate you may not like the results.

This will be the first year in 10 years I am not required to work the holidays. The family thing on the Holidays was high on my list of the things I get to do in retirement, well maybe not.��

Well, my neighbors started walking around (for exercise) the blocks when everything shut down last year. They started walking their dogs more as well. So much so that I had to put up a wire fence around my front yard to prevent dogs from urinating on my lawn. I don't mind the poop since most dog owners scoop up their pet's poop. But the urinated spot? It will stay dead for months. On a positive note, DW & I developed a closer relationship with a few of our neighbors.

Our neighborhood was very social pre-COVID. Since March 2020, all official HOA social events have been cancelled. Our Social Committee is meeting next week to decide how and when the monthly socials we used to have can resume.

In the meantime, most people in our neighborhood regularly get together with friends.

Most of our social life these days is the saturday farmers market. I swear I talked so much last week I had a sore throat.

All community clubhouse social events have been cancelled since Covid and there are no plans to reinstitute them. One reason given is that it was always the same 50 people attending the events. So what......
We had a few relationships just based on these events and that has dried up. I know the concept should be why not just get together outside the events, but that just hasn't happened and neither side is interested enough to pursue.

Seems we have more dog walkers and neighbors willing to talk on our walks. I believe most are wanting more interaction and that has increased talking with them more casually. We also have a neighbor that does almost daily happy hours with 6-8 additional folks (sometimes us too).

Some good friends are finally coming around to outdoors socializing after a year of not. That was difficult, but it's getting better. We're a little more private about travel as to not upset the few.

Our neighborhood has mostly ignored COVID and gone on business as usual.

Two nurses, who are neighbors, have tested positive last year before vaccine. Both were in late 50's, were just told to stay home, drink plenty of fluids. The neighborhood has had many get togethers, some at our house. Many have traveled, including ourselves, and many are coaching their grandkids sport teams.

I live in a subdivision with families with school age children.
You would not know there is a pandemic with the children of various households playing together.
Adults are coming and going as usual to work and shopping.
People have visitors. You would not know there is a pandemic.

From the outside looking on the neighborhood, nothing has changed.

Our neighborhood hasn't been very social but there have been a few get togethers. Our immediate neighbors had been having continual parties sometimes with 30+ people over. We noticed that they had stopped entertaining a few weeks ago...the homeowner got COVID and a pretty bad case of pneumonia. We have had a couple get togethers at our place, but 5 or less people and they have been out of town guests.

Vacation, it’s your husband’s decision not to get the vaccine that’s leading to not being welcomed. Maybe people are worried about their kids who can’t get vaccinated or others in the same position. Unless there’s a medical reason for your husband not to get vaccinated I would say your anger is misplaced. 2 of my friends had Covid and also got vaccinated anyway.

Covid rarely crosses my mind when I'm outside. Inside, I'm a bit more leery. Other than giving up on socializing, what else can you do. Masks aren't worn much here on the mainland nor back home except for commercial establishments (regulated by law.) I guess I'm willing to take a certain level of risk though I DO know it's a risk. YMMV

It’s interesting to hear how different the experiences are, with some neighborhoods still apparently in lockdown mode and others “business as usual.”

Our HOA is keen to restart our social events soon, likely in November. Proof of vaccination or recently administered COVID test will likely be required for attendees. Masks are more problematic as the HOA get-togethers typically involve grazing on appetizers and drinks while mingling. Perhaps most will be ok with not wearing masks given that everyone there will be vaccinated or proven not to have COVID. Our clubhouse has a nice outdoor patio so that will be a good option for those concerned about indoor events.

Pre-COVID, these events had a potluck buffet. Not sure if this will be resumed or if people will just be advised to bring their own food.

Just had a get together last weekend at the community pool...~30 people came.

Back
Top Bottom