Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, that's why I lied to the website and said I am 55. If I were 55, I'd be eligible today...
I can empathize, having done programming myself in the past. Which is why I also am familiar with workarounds :)
Having done coding too, I agree this may be a bit tricky. In my case it was worse, I was actually clearly eligible on the day I tried to make the reservation, based on the rules that were by then two weeks old. So in this case the programmer must have been asleep.

Holy smoke, two inches under the skin?

When Mr. A., who is very thin, had his shots, it happened so fast he didn't even feel it and I, from the other side of the car, didn't see it.

Haha, microchip... she will be remote controlled by Beijing from now on, watch out! No, seriously speaking, I noticed this and asked the pharmacist giving the injection. This unusual round bandage that looks like it's made of concentric circles, and almost looks like the logo of the Target chain, serves two purposes.

The first is that it actually IS a target. The Covid vaccine needs to be given deep into the muscle instead of subcutaneously like other vaccines, from what I was told this is because the active ingredient is weaker than in other vaccines, and from within the muscle it is more readily transferred to the blood stream and hence can reach everywhere. For this they actually insert the entire length of the needle (looked like two inches, yuck), and they do it perpendicular to the skin surface as opposed to at a 45 degree angle like with other vaccines. But in this case, one has to make sure that it's really in an area of abundant muscle, and doesn't hit bone or the shoulder joint. This is a serious complication from vaccination, I never knew about it until DW who has a very slender build got a frozen shoulder, three months of pain, and the need for physical therapy from it a few years back. To do this reliably, the nurse first touches around to clearly identify the muscle, and then puts this little sticker where it's safest to inject so she doesn't forget in between.

The second reason is that the target-shaped sticker has the band aid part already in it, as the center of the target patch has some neat self-sealing material through which the needle is inserted. When blood seeps out after the shot, there's no need to clean it off and then place a band aid, the blood is automatically caught under the "target".

So it's all somewhat high tech and pretty cool.

Aww! Perhaps that is why I have always taken the straightforward path, although I really believe it's because I am the world's lousiest liar and can never get away with anything :angel:

My mom used to explain to me that being cunning can lead to short term superficial gain, while being honest is the path to long term and meaningful gain. This little principle has always helped me with small speed bumps such as this, no need trying to become more cunning.

So glad the vaccinespotter.org helped you!

Several people I know have said they are the proper age eligibility when scheduling, knowing they aren't yet, but will actually be the correct age by the time of their appointment. This is actually an excellent back-door approach to getting an appointment before the floodgates of a new slew of people eligible for the vaccine start trying to book. Good job! :cool: You don't have to explain anything, in my experience - my friends have not had any problems. You will be legally eligible.

If by some chance the age eligibility doesn't change as expected, just cancel the appointment.

Yesterday, Vaccinespotter helped me get an appointment for my 60 year old brother in Florida. He helps out my elderly parents (late 80’s and already vaccinated) and I’ve been sweating bullets at the thought of him getting COVID. We live 3k miles away and still work. Even if he hadn’t gotten seriously ill it still would have been a big problem for my family.

So a huge thank you from me too!

Yesterday, Vaccinespotter helped me get an appointment for my 60 year old brother in Florida. He helps out my elderly parents (late 80’s and already vaccinated) and I’ve been sweating bullets at the thought of him getting COVID. We live 3k miles away and still work. Even if he hadn’t gotten seriously ill it still would have been a big problem for my family.

Awwh, thank you! This makes me so happy!!!! :dance:

This is a real concern - I read an article recently about home caregivers not being able to get vaccines, even though they do everything for an older person who did get vaccinated. If the caregiver gets COVID, it's not like the old person can turn around and help them. Both suffer!

Our age group just became eligible in our state today. While I was out golfing DW called the local county number to pre-register and was told "we have openings today if you want" :dance:. So we are both off to get vaccinated in a couple of hours.

We have gotten the first shot. The process was very simple and orderly. When we arrived arrived at the health center, lots of parking available. The indoor area being used was very large and not crowded at all. As soon as we walked in we were checked in. In less than 5 minutes we both received the shot. After the 15 minute wait workers came over to where we were sitting and scheduled our appointments for the 2nd shot in 28 days.

So far no ill effects; just the typical muscle soreness that I get from flu shots that is already fading away. DW is more sensitive and her arm was sore and warm at first, but has cooled down and is less sore now. We'll see how things are tomorrow.

From everything I had read I fully expected it to take a month before we would get vaccinated, and huge crowds lined up at the vaccine site. The reality, at least in our area, was much, much better.

Something new in Illinois. Restaurants, etc are open with maximum capacity limits. But patrons with vaccine cards do not count toward capacity.

My age group just became eligible in my state but there are no appointments available near me. A slightly older friend who lives in the same neighborhood became eligible two weeks ago and found an appointment immediately.

I hadn't expected vaccines to be available so soon and wasn't especially anxious about it, but now that it's here and I can't get it, it's very frustrating!

I tried not to obsess over this but couldn't help myself and checked for appointments repeatedly throughout the day. Finally, close to midnight, found a slot at a drugstore. It's not my first-choice location, but I booked it. I'll keep checking availability at my preferred sites over the next few days, but if nothing turns up, I'll keep this and get my shot a week from today. Yay!

Got on at midnight last night at CVS and was able to get an appointment for myself for this Sunday. Learned this trick from the Facebook group in my area that SimpleGirl recommended. The best part is it only a 15 minute drive from my house. I was expecting to drive over an hour to get my shot, so I am very pleased. I tried a couple of times at 7AM for Walgeens (when they release their daily appointments) and they were gone in the first 5 minutes. Had to work late last night and luckily finished up at 11pm, so decided to stay up and see what CVS had to offer at midnight and first try I got lucky.

Anyone looking for shots should try the CVS site at midnight east coast time, that's when they release appointments.

Yeah, that's why I lied to the website and said I am 55. If I were 55, I'd be eligible today.

It does seem that most websites are not addressing the complexity of this kind of case - where someone will be eligible then but isn't now. I can also imagine that there is someone who gets to decide when to modify the code to enable the next eligibility subgroup. Do they do it on Monday? Sunday evening? Friday the week before? I dunno.

I can empathize, having done programming myself in the past. Which is why I also am familiar with workarounds :)

Update: The radio news states that my state's governor will announce that they're accelerating eligibility, so everyone over 45 (which includes me) is eligible now. That's about two or three weeks worth of eligibility groups that got advanced.

Last edited:
Anyone have any ideas on how to put your vaccine card from into apple wallet ? I've taken pics of the card so I have that but would seem to be a document nice to keep in the wallet app.

Anyone have any ideas on how to put your vaccine card from into apple wallet ? I've taken pics of the card so I have that but would seem to be a document nice to keep in the wallet app.

Been trying to figure it out myself. Right now I just left it on the camera roll. Any help would be appreciated.

Or even just in a regular wallet, for which it should be credit card sized. In this large format it's just very awkward. Was thinking to scan it, print it out credit card sized, and then laminate... But I am not sure they would accept it in this format. Any ideas?

Apparently if you live in Los Angeles there is an app for that called Healthvana. I just took a photo and then put it in my Notes app on my iPhone. That way I don't have to search through all my photos. But being able to store it in the Apple Wallet would be great!

I think it has to be in a special format so you can't put any file or data into the Apple Wallet.

There are password managers which will let you put scans or photos in.

FOr instance I use 1 Password and in addition to entering my Passport number, I scanned an image of it and put it in with that record, in case I need to show it if I don't have my passport handy.

Not that I would use it to enter a country with it but when you travel, sometimes hotels want to take pictures of your passport, especially in foreign countries.

Holy smoke, two inches under the skin?

When Mr. A., who is very thin, had his shots, it happened so fast he didn't even feel it and I, from the other side of the car, didn't see it.
When I got it, I didn’t feel much either, the needle is very thin from what I could see. But there’s more high tech: in my case, the needle somehow retracted itself into the body of the syringe after the shot was administered, so there was no risk of injury or need for dedicated “sharps” disposal, and it was tossed in what looked like a regular trash bin. Also, the syringes were all pre-loaded and stored in a high tech-looking refrigerator holding perhaps 100 of them (note this was the Pfizer vaccine, which has particularly strict cold storage needs). So none of this filling from a bottle before the shot that one often sees in the stock video footage.

Last edited:
There is an app called Pass2U Wallet that lets you put any kind of card in the Apple Wallet. Disclaimer: I haven't used it.

I got my Pfizer vaccine today. They made you schedule an appointment but there was at least 50 people being processed when I showed up.
All in all I was in and out in 30 minutes including the 15 minutes in the waiting room.

There is an app called Pass2U Wallet that lets you put any kind of card in the Apple Wallet. Disclaimer: I haven't used it.

I'm pretty sure this requires the card you are trying to upload through Pass2U Wallet has a bar code. My vaccination card does not have a bar code.

I got my Pfizer vaccine today. They made you schedule an appointment but there was at least 50 people being processed when I showed up.
All in all I was in and out in 30 minutes including the 15 minutes in the waiting room.
Lucky you. When we went last week to a Walmart with an appointment, we had to stand in line for an hour inside the store, and then wait another 15 min post shot in chairs just next to that line. Social distancing in the line was very questionable, and some of the masks worn were very creative to say it positively. I am pretty sure that since Covid started, this was the situation of highest risk for me to contract it. I didn't like it much...

Lucky you. When we went last week to a Walmart with an appointment, we had to stand in line for an hour inside the store, and then wait another 15 min post shot in chairs just next to that line. Social distancing in the line was very questionable, and some of the masks worn were very creative to say it positively. I am pretty sure that since Covid started, this was the situation of highest risk for me to contract it. I didn't like it much...

Makes me thankful for the well organized drive through clinic I went to on Monday. Less than ten minutes from entry until the shot.

At the county fairgrounds, there is a tedious stop-and-go that, the first time we went, took over 90 minutes before we were in the shot tent. It was much faster (maybe 30 min) for Mr. A.'s second shot. Maybe because it was all pre-set 2nd shots that day, and there were no walk-ins.

The good thing about drive-ups is that you are in your own "bubble." You only interact with health care people. No being exposed to creative mask wearers.

We had used vaccinespotter to get an appointment 1 1/2 hours from us several days out but luckily thru nextdoor it was well known around 8:45 Walgreens was putting massive amounts of appointments out each day so we found something local and were able to cancel the other. We ended up at different pharmacies and now have different vaccines so we tell each other "I have the better one"...only time will tell if it matters.

CVS/Walgreens/hospitals are pretty straight forward for signup, everything else is a mystery that you have to go to places like nextdoor to find the magic key. Some are using signup, some are thru some medical group, some are show up first come first serve anyone no matter what group they don't care. Depends really on how far away from a major city they are, so if you can drive you can get a shot today no matter who you are, if you can't drive or get off work, well then its a lot tougher.

The weirdest spot I saw was we have an Ace hardware that has a pharmacy in it, I had no idea that was a thing or maybe it isn't and we have the only one. I've sent several people there as no one knows it exists so better bet they will get in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom