Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had measles when I was 6. All I remember were the awful fever dreams, that seemed to go on forever, and left me terrified of the dark for a couple of years (where before, dark hadn't bothered me). Also, the doctor coming to the house, which had never happened before and probably never did again. Not till many years later did my Mother admit that they had been afraid I might die, and the doctor was on the verge of recommending I be taken to the hospital because of the stubborn high fever. The measles vaccine came out later that year.

Measles is making a comeback and is of great concern around the world. When we traveled in early 2020, we had to bring along proof that we had measles antibodies (they stay with you for life, evidently).

I also had mumps that year - the whole third grade had them. I remember being told that my dad had to stay away from me, as he hadn't had mumps (or couldn't remember, more likely) and it would be much, much worse for him than for me (no one was about to discuss testicles with a 6-year-old girl). Other than the tender swellings behind the ears, I don't recall mumps being too bad.

YThis is definitely not the case for measles which the majority of people did not contract at all, which can be fatal in up to 1 in 100 to 200 cases and most fatalities were in children less than 5 years of age.

I would venture to say that you could even pay people $100 to take the vaccine, and the economy would still be ahead, vs the cost to the economy of not generating heard immunity. But, an expert could probably prove me wrong.
Oh sure, for the economy to invest $100 for everyone who gets the vaccine would bring us way ahead. That's much less than what most folks get even in one of the stimulus payments, and adds up to only $33 billion for the whole country including kids - less than one percent of the $5 trillion that has been spent so far in the three stimulus packages. You could pay them $5,000 a head and still be fine, considering the stimulus so far cost about $15,000 per resident. (Which, we should not forget, those residents have to eventually pay back somehow - more than a Tesla Model 3 for a typical family...ouch)

Last edited:
Has anybody here decided to take the second shot at a different place from the first, which is where it is by default scheduled? My first shot was far away because I just wanted to get it over with, but I wouldn't mind if I don't have make that same trip again. Of course I'd cancel the now scheduled second shot with ample notice.

I scheduled mine in the city that had the best restaurants. Food good both times - :)

Has anybody here decided to take the second shot at a different place from the first, which is where it is by default scheduled? .

At the county fairgrounds, they told me I could get my second shot anywhere I wanted. I'll probably go back there, though, rather than spend time playing treasure hunt with local pharmacies. Or I might see if the hospital offer is still open - they are closer, and not a tedious drive-up.

They scheduled my second dose while I was in the 15 minute post shot wait period after the first one. I'm not about to complicate the situation. Also, it's only 3.5 miles from my house.

Has anybody here decided to take the second shot at a different place from the first, which is where it is by default scheduled? My first shot was far away because I just wanted to get it over with, but I wouldn't mind if I don't have make that same trip again. Of course I'd cancel the now scheduled second shot with ample notice.

I am getting mine from Walgreens. The first one was 3 counties away from me, but it was the only available slot at the time. When registering for the first shot, I was automatically directed to a page to register for the second shot which is also with Walgreens but only 5 miles from my house. My second shot is coming up next Monday.

Well, I must say, they look good... But I wonder, with those fish & chips, some of what you gained in health benefits at the corona end you may be losing again at the corona-ry end...:cool:

Oh yeah. I frequently tell people that I'm glad I don't live in Modesto, else I'd be 300 pounds.

A treat to be enjoyed sparingly.

Update from earlier.... got the invite around 10pm tonight and scheduled my appt for Saturday afternoon at the local community college. 3.5 miles from my house. Nice.

CVS here (California) loads new appts each day at approx 3:00 AM. Lots to choose from then until @ 5:00 AM, when they seem to fill.

This is how I got my recent appt, and how several friends have gotten their appts.

You may think this is what happened but it is unlikely (or if it happened it was ill advised). What you describe was true for Chicken pox as it is a disease that almost everyone gets in temperate climates and is generally much milder in children than in adults so it made sense to get it out of the way. This is definitely not the case for measles which the majority of people did not contract at all, which can be fatal in up to 1 in 100 to 200 cases and most fatalities were in children less than 5 years of age. Mumps was not as nasty a virus but it did account for a significant number of cases of encephalitis and meningitis before a vaccine was developed and can result in sterility in males. Again, it was much better to get the at an older age as the likelihood of severe outcomes was reduced.

I wish the chickenpox vaccine had been available when I was a kid.

I didn't get the disease until much older than normal (nearly 16) and so had a much worse case than my younger brother, including scarring that took years to fade...if you look close enough some can still be faintly discerned, including one on the (underside) tip of my nose.

Last edited:
I had one small pock mark on my forehead, which disappeared after about age 45. Skin loosens with age, and this is one advantage of it.

.if you look close enough some can still be faintly discerned, including one on the (underside) tip of my nose.

I had one small pock mark on my forehead, which disappeared after about age 45. Skin loosens with age, and this is one advantage of it.

You know, that's funny. I too have a pockmark on my forehead from "the pox" and remember the exact moment it ripped off my face when I was adjusting my head on the pillow! OWW!!! It happened to be the same day the Challenger exploded, too. One of the worst sick days from school ever.

As far as our local COVID vaccine distribution, a local lab has been doing mass vaccination events and the last one had lots and lots of empty slots and are letting people just walk in but yet still have left over doses. The CEO was on the news saying that now is the time to open the vaccine to EVERYONE because this is a reoccurring theme.

Connecticut has been timing the eligibility groups so that once the slope of the vaccination curve drops to ~1.0 for a group, they add the next group. That avoids having empty slots. It is expected that they will open up to 16+ on April 5th. Currently it is 45+ as of this past Friday.

Connecticut has been timing the eligibility groups so that once the slope of the vaccination curve drops to ~1.0 for a group, they add the next group. That avoids having empty slots. It is expected that they will open up to 16+ on April 5th. Currently it is 45+ as of this past Friday.

Your earlier airplane boarding analogy story was a great way to visualize it. Florida went to 50+ and we booked within a few hours of sites allowing the change, sunday morning. I made sure to be that person who rushes thru to join the line as soon as their group is called.

AZ opens vaccine to everyone over 18 as of tomorrow. Over 16 if getting Pfizer.
Supposedly 60,000 open appointments for Friday. Went on the Dept of Public Health site and could have gotten a shot today at four different vaccine locations in Phoenix area.

Looks like Dr. Scott is going to be pretty close to being correct in his prediction a few months ago that by April the authorities will be begging for people to get vaccinated.

For sure, some areas will still have waits. But the logjam is starting to clear in many places.

It won't be long before we'll be hearing a lot on the news about begging the reluctant to get vaccinated.

Our governor will be speaking today on an update. I'm wondering if he doesn't move up the group availability timeline which is still pretty restrictive, although some counties are rebelling and opening to everyone.

Last edited:
You watch. We'll all find out that those who waited, will be rewarded with cash. :D:D

It won't be long before we'll be hearing a lot on the news about begging the reluctant to get vaccinated.

You watch. We'll all find out that those who waited, will be rewarded with cash. :D:D

Wouldn't surprise me. I could bring up other examples we've talked about on other threads but Porky would visit. ;)

My age group just became eligible in my state but there are no appointments available near me. A slightly older friend who lives in the same neighborhood became eligible two weeks ago and found an appointment immediately.

I hadn't expected vaccines to be available so soon and wasn't especially anxious about it, but now that it's here and I can't get it, it's very frustrating!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom