Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is that once this gets going people will start to feel competition for getting the vaccine and the "i dont want its" will tend to disappear unless there are some pretty bad outcomes, or at least a lot of negative press.

Ha
Exactly. I would imagine that a lot of people don't want it until there have been at least a few million others vaccinated without major problems. To me that is a sensible approach, and besides most of us don't have any choice about it anyway.

Exactly. I would imagine that a lot of people don't want it until there have been at least a few million others vaccinated without major problems. To me that is a sensible approach, and besides most of us don't have any choice about it anyway.

I have no plans on getting the vaccine even though I have many underlying conditions and am over the age of 70. Straight to the point I am a veteran that is 100% disabled from Agent Orange. This was supposed to be solve a problem also.

Bottom line I don't trust the military or the government or the scientists. Hopefully this vaccine won't have the same outcome as Agent Orange has had on many of us vets .

One issue at my local hospital--they are short of staff so they are going to vaccinate only a portion of the medical workers at a time so that if some of them have to be out of work due to side affects it will not be a major problem. It could a few days to use all this batch of first doses.
Wrong priority to me. Getting the workers safer ASAP is a more important issue imo than the concern of a slight added worker shortage. Based on the trials, I can't imagine a large number will have work-preventing side effects. Just don't get that line of thinking.

There will be a few million medical workers vaccinated by end of year. BTW, if waiting is sensible, then a few million have to be unsensible for you to be sensible. Thank the unsensible.

I have no plans on getting the vaccine even though I have many underlying conditions and am over the age of 70. Straight to the point I am a veteran that is 100% disabled from Agent Orange. This was supposed to be solve a problem also.

Bottom line I don't trust the military or the government or the scientists. Hopefully this vaccine won't have the same outcome as Agent Orange has had on many of us vets .

I am so sorry that you are going through this! My late brother Bob fought in Vietnam and like you he was genuinely disabled from exposure to Agent Orange. He died at age 77 back in February, about a month before the pandemic hit. I miss him so much it hurts.

I am so sorry that you are going through this! My late brother Bob fought in Vietnam and like you he was genuinely disabled from exposure to Agent Orange. He died at age 77 back in February, about a month before the pandemic hit. I miss him so much it hurts.

WR2, Sorry to hear of your loss. I know how you must feel.

Not trying to hijack this thread so I'll just make one more comment, then hopefully everyone can get back on track. The reason this is so upsetting for me is because our Company has an annual reunion each year (except for 2020). It is very sad to see how Agent Orange is affecting I would say 80% of us. Many have already died of Agent Orange conditions. It is now over 50 years since we were in VN and we were told then that it would not have any effect on us or our children! Didn't quite work out that way. I'm not discouraging anyone else to get the vaccine; I'm just advising that their may be consequences down the road. But that's just me, an old VN grunt.:facepalm:

Reactions: W2R
Wrong priority to me. Getting the workers safer ASAP is a more important issue imo than the concern of a slight added worker shortage. Based on the trials, I can't imagine a large number will have work-preventing side effects. Just don't get that line of thinking.

I think the local hospital will give all the vaccines they have in 2-3 days. They just don't want to give 100% of them today. Since 2 doses are involved it will be month or so before it is fully effective anyway.

What groups are NOT recommended to take the vaccine? So far I have heard these people are not recommended to take the Pfizer vaccinate at this time:

1. People with severe allergic reactions (FDA is researching this)
2. Pregnant women (the vaccine was not tested on pregnant women)
3. Children under age 16 (the vaccine was not tested on children)
4. Women breastfeeding (the vaccine was not tested on these women)
5. People undergoing chemotherapy that significantly reduces immune response (not sure I have heard correctly on this one)

Any others?

More on the question of women who are pregnant or breastfeeding. These women were excluded from the Pfizer trial. However, it appears that the FDA is not going to have a rule saying that these women cannot get the vaccine--they are instead recommending these women consult with their own physician in making the decision whether or not to take the vaccine. That's going to be a tough decision for these women. If I were I were in this situation I would probably try to get vaccinated and wait a while before becoming pregnant if possible. On the issue of breastfeeding --personally I would probably discontinue breastfeeding and get the vaccine.

Last edited:
That's my guess, too. Only the most rabid anti-vaxxers will hold out. And even most of them will be lying as they post their anti-vaccine memes, but get their shots anyway.

My guess is that once this gets going people will start to feel competition for getting the vaccine, and the "i dont want its" will tend to disappear unless there are some pretty bad outcomes.

Ha

The surveys and polls seem to be trending towards more acceptance. We'll see. I'm not going to bank on the idea that there will be so much push back that vaccines will be in oversupply in a month or two. As part of a low risk group, I still expect to be waiting well into spring. I hope I'm surprised -- not because of poor uptake, but rather that so many come online we'll have good supply.

Oilman, my good friend died from a rare cancer caused by agent orange at 66. He underwent surgery and radiation trying to beat it so he could keep taking care of his wife with Alzheimer’s. He had a case with the VA but they dragged it out until he was dead. Ugh!

On the topic the news today said 50% of workers in one hospital refused the vaccine.

Last edited:
The surveys and polls seem to be trending towards more acceptance. We'll see. I'm not going to bank on the idea that there will be so much push back that vaccines will be in oversupply in a month or two. As part of a low risk group, I still expect to be waiting well into spring. I hope I'm surprised -- not because of poor uptake, but rather that so many come online we'll have good supply.

I heard on local news (northern Va) today that in a recent poll 80% replied they would take it. I was hoping states or CDC would have put those without antibodies after those without but maybe that would be another wrinkle in an already complex project.

Oilman, my good friend died from a rare cancer caused by agent orange at 66. He underwent surgery and radiation trying to beat it so he could keep taking care of his wife with Alzheimer’s. He had a case with the VA but they dragged it out until he was dead. Ugh!

On the topic the news today said 50% of workers in one hospital refused the vaccine.

Teacher Terry, Sorry about the loss of your friend. Unfortunately the VA in most circumstances drags it out until the vet dies! Have seen many cases of this.

As far as the vaccine, I think at some point most will accept it. On the other hand maybe some of the younger crowd and people in rural areas will reject it. But what do I know?:angel:

Teacher Terry said:

Can we get the name of the news organization and the hospital? That seems very high based upon the hospital workers I have talked to. OTOH, maybe my sample is biased in some way. It would be interesting to find out how many are actually medical people vs. those who fix broken faucets part-time.

Last edited:
Interesting thread and thanks (to whomever, it was early in the thread) to the state by state priority lists.

Apparently, since I am a teacher in NYS I might be in Phase 2 (Teachers/School Staff (In person instruction)). I say might because right now we are doing remote learning, but we normally (pre-covid) would be doing in-person. I am supposed to do a college in the high school section for the Spring (starts late January) for which it theoretically as of today is still scheduled to be in-person.

I guess I will just have to see where things are come late-January (or perhaps inquire via work in early January as to whether these issues are being discussed).

Interesting thread and thanks (to whomever, it was early in the thread) to the state by state priority lists.

Apparently, since I am a teacher in NYS I might be in Phase 2 (Teachers/School Staff (In person instruction)). I say might because right now we are doing remote learning, but we normally (pre-covid) would be doing in-person. I am supposed to do a college in the high school section for the Spring (starts late January) for which it theoretically as of today is still scheduled to be in-person.

I guess I will just have to see where things are come late-January (or perhaps inquire via work in early January as to whether these issues are being discussed).

I definitely think that teachers should be among the first groups to get the vaccine. We need to get the kids back in school. I am willing to delay the time I get the vaccine so teachers can get in line before me. The Wake County NC school district was trying to do some in person classes but had to stop and go all remote because so many teachers were out with Covid.

I heard on local news (northern Va) today that in a recent poll 80% replied they would take it. I was hoping states or CDC would have put those without antibodies after those without but maybe that would be another wrinkle in an already complex project.
Yes RetireBy90, this was the article I saw, then couldn't find. They quoted 80%.

CNN's recent polls measured 60% or over. This is a change from earlier numbers of 50% or so.

I'd hope it was 100%, but here we are. At least it is going in the right direction.

Just starting to read briefing materials for Moderna presentation to Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee Meeting on Thursday. If you are interested, document is available at https://www.fda.gov/media/144434/download

Noticed one difference right off the top, this EUA submission is for those 18 and older, where Pfizer is for those 16 and older. Last week committee vote had 4 vote against the EUA with 2 or 3 confirmed they voted against because of the sparse results in the 16 and 17 year old subjects.

The proposed use under an EUA is for active immunization for the prevention of COVID-19 caused by SARS-CoV-2 in individuals 18 years of age and older. The proposed dosing regimen is 2 doses, 100μg each, administered 1 month apart.

Other items that seem important to me

- Early analysis (Nov 7th) showed 5 cases found in vaccine group and 90 in placebo group.
- Severe COVID-19, 0 cases in vaccine group and 11 in placebo group.
- With cutoff of 21 Nov 11 Cases of COVID-19 in vaccine group, 185 in placebo group.
- 30,400 participants vs 44,000 for Pfizer.
- Severe COVID-19 zero (0) in vaccine group and eleven (11) in placebo group.
- Protection seems to start about 14 days after first shot.
- 3 reports of Bell's palsy in vaccine group and 1 in placebo group.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if the Moderna vaccine has the same issues as the Pfizer vaccine regarding severe allergies?

Does anyone know if the Moderna vaccine has the same issues as the Pfizer vaccine regarding severe allergies?

In the link above they talk about these, but remember they didn't have any issues with the Pfizer in the trials so trial documents both show no adverse events regarding allergies.

Since the Moderna vaccine is currently undergoing FDA review, no one here "knows" any more than is being reported in the news.

This is from the NYT:

British health officials have said that people with a history of anaphylaxis should avoid the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.

But in the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has said that people with serious allergies can be safely vaccinated, with close monitoring for 30 minutes after receiving the shot.

The Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines are similar in their ingredients, but not identical, so it is not clear whether an allergic reaction to one would occur with the other.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/15/health/covid-moderna-vaccine.html?referringSource=articleShare

This quote from a WaPo article on the Moderna vaccine tests:

There were no severe allergic reactions, a concern that has emerged after two cases were reported in the United Kingdom after the first injections of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine.

This should not be behind a paywall:

FDA review clears path for second coronavirus vaccine, this one developed by Moderna

I'll take whichever one I can get, ASAP.

If my vaccine comes sooner because a bunch of conspiracy nuts ahead of me in line refuse theirs, so much the better for me.

I'll take whichever one I can get, ASAP.

If my vaccine comes sooner because a bunch of conspiracy nuts ahead of me in line refuse theirs, so much the better for me.

+1

(Actually, +2 for me and DGF!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom