Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an issue:
"New Mexico discarded a 75-dose shipment of the new COVID-19 vaccine this week after a digital device showed it overheated on transport to a hospital in Clayton.

But the problem may have been a malfunction of the device used to track the temperature of the vaccines, not a problem with the packing of the product itself.

“In light of the malfunction, and without the ability in this case to verify the accuracy of the vaccine’s temperature with a high level of confidence during transport, it was decided in the interests of safety to discard the product and resend a new shipment” Wednesday, Matt Nerzig, a spokesman for Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham, said in a written statement.

The state sent out 18 vaccine shipments from its Department of Health warehouse on Tuesday, with only the Clayton shipment experiencing a “temperature excursion,” he said.

The problem was “probably a malfunction of the digital data logger,” Nerzig said, not faulty packing of the vaccine.

To be safe, the state decided to send another shipment. New Mexico is receiving about 17,550 doses of the Pzifer vaccine this week, and frontline health care workers are already receiving their shots."

https://www.abqjournal.com/1527402/...AAI44GwvnJoIbHEKcg6IAJt9gQ#Echobox=1608142604

Well, at least they are being careful, not just trying to "make the numbers."

I pray for the day when losing a small shipment of this vaccine is - well, not routine, but not newsworthy because the vaccines have grown plentiful. Right now, even a small loss causes a pang.

Here's an issue:
"New Mexico discarded a 75-dose shipment of the new COVID-19 vaccine this week after a digital device showed it overheated on transport to a hospital in Clayton.

But the problem may have been a malfunction of the device used to track the temperature of the vaccines, not a problem with the packing of the product itself.

“In light of the malfunction, and without the ability in this case to verify the accuracy of the vaccine’s temperature with a high level of confidence during transport, it was decided in the interests of safety to discard the product and resend a new shipment” Wednesday, Matt Nerzig, a spokesman for Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham, said in a written statement.

The state sent out 18 vaccine shipments from its Department of Health warehouse on Tuesday, with only the Clayton shipment experiencing a “temperature excursion,” he said.

The problem was “probably a malfunction of the digital data logger,” Nerzig said, not faulty packing of the vaccine.

To be safe, the state decided to send another shipment. New Mexico is receiving about 17,550 doses of the Pzifer vaccine this week, and frontline health care workers are already receiving their shots."

https://www.abqjournal.com/1527402/...AAI44GwvnJoIbHEKcg6IAJt9gQ#Echobox=1608142604

Interestingly, I used to work for a company that designed, built, sold, and supported temperature logging devices like the one alluded to. In fact, the one in question may have been by the company I used to work for, and if so it probably contained code I wrote.

Temperature loggers are extremely reliable. They have to be - they're relied on to make decisions like this, as well as whether to accept or reject a truckload of meat, which is like $50K or $100K worth of food. Temperature excursions in transit can obviously be unsafe or unprofitable for the receiving entity.

People are less reliable. My guess is that someone left the box out in the sun, or didn't put (enough) dry ice in, or something. Rather than admit a human mistake, they blamed the temperature logger.

Still the right thing to do to throw it out, probably, as I don't think anyone would want to be given a vaccine of questionable efficacy. But I think behind the scenes they're putting blame in the wrong spot.

Interestingly, I used to work for a company that designed, built, sold, and supported temperature logging devices like the one alluded to. In fact, the one in question may have been by the company I used to work for, and if so it probably contained code I wrote.

Temperature loggers are extremely reliable. They have to be - they're relied on to make decisions like this, as well as whether to accept or reject a truckload of meat, which is like $50K or $100K worth of food. Temperature excursions in transit can obviously be unsafe or unprofitable for the receiving entity.

People are less reliable. My guess is that someone left the box out in the sun, or didn't put (enough) dry ice in, or something. Rather than admit a human mistake, they blamed the temperature logger.

Still the right thing to do to throw it out, probably, as I don't think anyone would want to be given a vaccine of questionable efficacy. But I think behind the scenes they're putting blame in the wrong spot.

The remediation actions imply what you said

"New Mexico is taking steps to prevent the problem from happening again by:

— Adjusting the temperature devices so they will alert personnel earlier, before the package is out of the appropriate range, to allow for a quicker response.

— Having immunization staff on call to help during transportation.

— Reviewing the placement of the digital loggers and other processes at Department of Health warehouses."

Maybe they can't even get the freezers it's very specialized equipment not like they can order it off of Amazon..

Going back a couple months, I saw a clip on a company that makes super low temp freezers. They were working 247 then. Small place. Could make about 6/day. Assume there's multiple producers around the country.

Is there a national or state run registry for people who have been vaccinated? I understand we will all get a paper slip for our 2nd appointment, and use it as a proof of vaccination. But an APP or QR code showing on your cellphone would be better.

Local newspaper says at the time you have your first vaccine you will be given a appointment for second vaccine and it will be entered into a national database. Evidently here in NC you will have appointments for both shots. I did not read anything about a cellphone app or code.

All these qualifiers seem like they will slow down the efficient distribution of the vaccine.

I kind of think they should go into neighborhoods and or zip codes and just do everybody that wants one at once. The more doses that get given in one area, the less spread should occur.

I guess they will get more details ironed out along the way.

I know how concerned you have been about your DH's exposure Harllee and am happy he can get vaccinated. Will you be able to get your dose at the same time?

I doubt if I can get the vaccine at the same time as DH. I am a little younger and very healthy, no medical conditions, darn it! I remember one time there was a shortage of flu shots and DH was able to get one of the shots. I went went him hoping I could also get the flu shot but they said "nope." I will just be grateful if DH and my elderly mother can get the shots. I will just continue to wear a mask and social distance until it is my turn. I want all the people with medical conditions, the medical workers and the teachers to get theirs first and I will gladly take it when it is my turn.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-pfizer-allergy-idUSKBN28Q2LC

For those of us concerned about allergic reactions to the Pfizer vaccine one person vaccinated today had a severe allergic reaction. They had no previous history of allergic reactions. They are reported to be OK after a few epinephrine injections.

The FDA is recommending that everyone who gets the vaccine stay at the place they got the vaccine for at least 15 minutes to be sure no allergic reaction. For those who have had allergy issues in the past the recommendation is to stay 30 minutes. I am allergy prone so I think I will hang around a hour...
Also I am getting a new refill on my epipen.

But it's not known the vaccine per se caused the reaction. Just that B happened soon after A.

I agree.

In the UK over 7k people over the age of 75 die every week on average. It won’t be long before someone in that age group dies shortly after receiving the vaccine.

The FDA is recommending that everyone who gets the vaccine stay at the place they got the vaccine for at least 15 minutes to be sure no allergic reaction. For those who have had allergy issues in the past the recommendation is to stay 30 minutes. I am allergy prone so I think I will hang around a hour...

Is there a link for this recommendation?

Is there a link for this recommendation?

I will see if I can find it--I read it in todays Raleigh News and Observer. I think this is the same for other vaccines--my pharmacy had me hang around for 30 minutes for both Shingrix and the flu vaccine.

I need to correct this --it is actually a CDC requirement that someone receiving a vaccination stay on the premises for either 15 or 30 minutes and this applies to all vaccinations per my friend the pharmacist.

I need to correct this --it is actually a CDC requirement that someone receiving a vaccination stay on the premises for either 15 or 30 minutes and this applies to all vaccinations per my friend the pharmacist.

That how it was at my Doc's, I got the 2nd Shingrix and the flu vaccine, and they told me to sit for 15 minutes..

Nobody watched me, so after 8 minutes I left to get in my car, I didn't want to catch Covid sitting there waiting with sick people.

I live in a county of 100,000 people in Fl. We have two hospitals. I ask on a local NEXTDOOR group if our hospitals had proper freezer storage for Pfizer's vaccine. I didn't get an answer to the question.
So, I called the local TV station and ask if they were checking on this. They said the hospitals are not answering questions on this until the second wave of vaccines. I said, it seems like there should be some preparation before the second wave. The reporter agreed and said we will continue asking. She sounded as if it was something on the front burner.
I wonder if the hospitals are waiting to know if they will get the vaccine before they invest in freezers.

We live in the Sarasota area. My DW who has severe asthma and other issues just finished an appointment with her pulmonologist. She asked about the process of getting the vaccine. His response was a bit concerning, in that he knows nothing more that we do about how and when the mass vaccinations will occur. He said he gets that question from a dozen patients every day and hopes some guidance will be put out in the coming weeks. Also, there was a local TV news segment asking the health department about immunization procedures. They said the Federal Government and Florida State officials have not shared details on what the plan is going to look like. This does not bode well for a smooth process to immunize our citizens.

Dr. Fauci has said that he expects that vaccinations should be available to everyone by April. That's good enough for me.

Local newspaper says at the time you have your first vaccine you will be given a appointment for second vaccine and it will be entered into a national database. Evidently here in NC you will have appointments for both shots. I did not read anything about a cellphone app or code.

Are they going to provide any kind of documentation, for the vaccine passports which has been talked about to an extent?

If you want to fly Quantas Airlines to Australia, you have to have proof of documentation.

IATA, the airline industry trade group, was said to be working on some kind of app which would verify one's vaccine status somehow.

DH will be 75 in April 2021 and has immune systems issues. I hope that he gets the vaccine in spring. While I am also at risk, I'll breathe a lot better once he has been vaccinated.

Are they going to provide any kind of documentation, for the vaccine passports which has been talked about to an extent?

If you want to fly Quantas Airlines to Australia, you have to have proof of documentation.

IATA, the airline industry trade group, was said to be working on some kind of app which would verify one's vaccine status somehow.

Currently when children register to attend school in my state they have to have proof of vaccinations like measles (this use to be a form signed by a doctor, probably now it is computerized). I guess there will have to be something similar for the Covid vaccine for travel, etc.

We get the Palm Beach Post. They run a vaccine article almost every day. It's clear that all the States are being left to their own devices on vaccine distro.

Florida's first batches, some 1.5 Million doses of Pfizer and Moderna, go to several major hospitals (none near us). Gov. De Santis has made his initial priorities "health care workers" "nursing home people." He has also said that he wants all teachers vaccinated, to keep schools open. After that, as your Dr. admitted, it's a blank page.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story...-vaccinations-month-desantis-says/3912993001/

We live in the Sarasota area. My DW who has severe asthma and other issues just finished an appointment with her pulmonologist. She asked about the process of getting the vaccine. His response was a bit concerning, in that he knows nothing more that we do about how and when the mass vaccinations will occur. He said he gets that question from a dozen patients every day and hopes some guidance will be put out in the coming weeks. Also, there was a local TV news segment asking the health department about immunization procedures. They said the Federal Government and Florida State officials have not shared details on what the plan is going to look like. This does not bode well for a smooth process to immunize our citizens.

When we traveled to Southeast Asia back in January, the tour group told us to carry proof of measles immunity. We paid for measles antibody tests, and carried the printed results (which were never needed).

Currently when children register to attend school in my state they have to have proof of vaccinations like measles (this use to be a form signed by a doctor, probably now it is computerized). I guess there will have to be something similar for the Covid vaccine for travel, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom