Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably not. I have been following a Twitter account that has been showing the COVID stories from last year in real time. It is quite enlightening to see how much the "experts" *and* "politicians" didn't know much of anything. Even Faucci said some stuff that sounds absolutely ridiculous just a year later, but most are getting a pass since it's...well, a novel virus and what they learn about it changes by the day.
An opportunity to offer two of my favorite quotes:

“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"When the facts change, I change my mind. What do you do, sir?" -- attributed to John Maynard Keynes

Last edited:
Just found out that NC will operate on the "honor system" regarding whether someone is a "front line essential worker" or has a medical condition that puts you at "higher risk". Let your conscience be your guide.

Here in GA, it's 65 and up unless you fall into a prioritized category such as healthcare worker, police, firefighter, nursing home staff or resident, or caregiver of someone 65+.

Well, I had to go into a CVS the other day and was walking down an aisle where I had a clear view of the folks waiting to get their COVID shot. There were about 5-6 people waiting, and it struck me that only one of them, maybe, was 65 or older. If I had to guess, I'd say the oldest one looked like she was around 55.

So, yeah, I think some younger people are jumping the line by claiming they're in a priority group and relying on the honor system to avoid providing any sort of proof. Of course, I could be wrong and those folks were all legitimate, but... somehow I doubt it.

We are in PA and not old enough yet to get the vaccine. My grandparents and parents still have not gotten the vaccine. All of them are healthy but they haven't been able to get an appointment. They have registered on a couple of sites now but no appointments for the vaccine. Turns out they are saying on the news that the 4 satellite counties around Philadelphia aren't being given equal distribution as other counties in the State. I do not know if this is true. Some sites where they registered, they have received a confirming emails. Other sites they have received nothing. The local hospital where they registered only sent one confirming but it doesn't specify which grandparent the confirming is for. Also when you go to that hospitals web site now it says "this page no longer available". My grandparents weren't going to register anywhere else because they thought the hospital was close to them and they were familiar with it and trusted it. When they checked the local county web site it said not to "register at more than one site". I just "preregistered" both grandparents and parents on their local community college web site and at the local CVS pharmacy. My grandparents are in their 90's and my parents are in their 60's. I was talking to a neighbors son and he said he has his father (84) registered at 6 sites but has no appointment for the vaccine yet. My uncle (70) lives in upstate PA. and finally got an appointment for the vaccine and the location is 2 hours from his home.

Here in GA, it's 65 and up unless you fall into a prioritized category such as healthcare worker, police, firefighter, nursing home staff or resident, or caregiver of someone 65+.

Well, I had to go into a CVS the other day and was walking down an aisle where I had a clear view of the folks waiting to get their COVID shot. There were about 5-6 people waiting, and it struck me that only one of them, maybe, was 65 or older. If I had to guess, I'd say the oldest one looked like she was around 55.

So, yeah, I think some younger people are jumping the line by claiming they're in a priority group and relying on the honor system to avoid providing any sort of proof. Of course, I could be wrong and those folks were all legitimate, but... somehow I doubt it.

That's a primary reason we went to straight age brackets here in Connecticut. Easier to administer and avoids the hard feelings (and delays) caused by dishonest line jumpers.

Yeah, sure you do... :cool:
I hadn't noticed the date. DW said they were very relaxed about the vaccine. Did we want Moderna tomorrow or J$J next week?

Been trying to get an appointment for DW at CVS and Walgreens (Thanks for the link sengsational). She is signed up with the Fairfax County (Northern VA) Health list but no idea when she will get the call for appointment. At CVS you click on a state and it lists all the sites - all not available except for a 4 hour one way drive - and then availability. Walgreens just asks you to input the city and checks for 25 miles from there. I don't know all the choices so just trying all the different cities around here but no joy. Anyone have ideas where else I can try ? She is 68 and VA is doing over 65 now.

Thanks in advance

Try registering on Walmart at midnight - that's when they release appointments daily. Some of their stores in Maryland (Denton and Easton look possibly closest to northern VA?) have the vaccine, if that's not too far for you to drive.

When they checked the local county web site it said not to "register at more than one site".

Well, if anyone could trust a single site to make them aware of ALL vaccination events available in a particular area that would be good advice. There are plenty of anecdotes here and elsewhere (including my own) that show that there is no such site in any state!

Been trying to get an appointment for DW at CVS and Walgreens (Thanks for the link sengsational). She is signed up with the Fairfax County (Northern VA) Health list but no idea when she will get the call for appointment. At CVS you click on a state and it lists all the sites - all not available except for a 4 hour one way drive - and then availability. Walgreens just asks you to input the city and checks for 25 miles from there. I don't know all the choices so just trying all the different cities around here but no joy. Anyone have ideas where else I can try ? She is 68 and VA is doing over 65 now.

Thanks in advance

A friend of mine who lives in Fairfax was able to get a vaccine appointment in Winchester VA at their health department. It would be a longer drive but you might also look at NC--they are doing an excellent job on vaccines here. If you decide to try NC send me a private message and I will give you some suggestions on where to look at the counties along the VA border.

A friend of mine who lives in Fairfax was able to get a vaccine appointment in Winchester VA at their health department. It would be a longer drive but you might also look at NC--they are doing an excellent job on vaccines here. If you decide to try NC send me a private message and I will give you some suggestions on where to look at the counties along the VA border.

But... Some of us in NC are still waiting, and well, I'm a citizen here, waiting my rightful turn. Influxes from other areas will just delay our efforts both as a community, and frankly, for myself.

I perhaps have a slightly different view than those already done with 2 shots.

Appointments are clearly opening up here in Idaho. The local district health FB feed is starting to advertise that sites have available appointments.

Unfortunately (or fortunately), I'm 51 and not in any special subgroup, so even though I'd be happy to show up and get the vaccine, I still have to wait for another month or so. Oh well.

Apparently we get a preregistration thing in a few days.

But... Some of us in NC are still waiting, and well, I'm a citizen here, waiting my rightful turn. Influxes from other areas will just delay our efforts both as a community, and frankly, for myself.

I perhaps have a slightly different view than those already done with 2 shots.

I hear what you are saying Joe--even though NC is allowing out of staters to come in for vaccines there is an ethical issue. I have helped a lot of people find vaccine appointments here in NC but so far they have all been NC residents and they have gone all over the state of North Carolina to get the vaccines. However, there is a Federal mega vaccine site opening up soon in Greensboro, one of 18 Federal vaccine sites nationwide, and it is for a multistate region so it is for residents of NC and surrounding states.
I have no problems suggesting to people out of state to come to Greensboro to the Federal vaccine site.

Try registering on Walmart at midnight - that's when they release appointments daily. Some of their stores in Maryland (Denton and Easton look possibly closest to northern VA?) have the vaccine, if that's not too far for you to drive.

Thanks for the tip. I got a CVS appointment for Sat about 4 hours away in south west VA. Good for me as I get out of the house, and of course DW gets a jab. Just hope we can find a 2nd shot closer to home :cool:

That's a primary reason we went to straight age brackets here in Connecticut. Easier to administer and avoids the hard feelings (and delays) caused by dishonest line jumpers.

I wonder about the "hard feelings." DW and I qualified under the "under 65 w/ comorbidities" and didn't have any issues getting an appointment. When we went, we were one of the few that appeared to be under 65 and we were treated gracefully and were chatted up by several of the other folks that were waiting. Perhaps I missed it, but I didn't see anyone giving us evil eye...and we are also on a honor system.

Nonetheless, our state's rollout has been pretty smooth and there have been multiple ways to schedule as well as some "pop up" opportunities. It's been pretty smooth, really.

Thanks for the tip. I got a CVS appointment for Sat about 4 hours away in south west VA. Good for me as I get out of the house, and of course DW gets a jab. Just hope we can find a 2nd shot closer to home :cool:

Not likely, from everything I have read. Your second shot is reserved for you at the place of the first one. Maybe there are some exceptions, but I have not heard of any.

DW and I will get our second shot on 3/13, at the same location as the first.

AZ just made everyone +55 eligible for the vaccine, was able to snag an appointment at the Safeway pharmacy for my first shot tomorrow.

Got an appt. for my first stick at State Farm stadium this Saturday morning. Yesterday, 50,000 open slots at AZ state run vaccination sites were filled within 2 hours.

Dang CA is going to open it up to people with certain conditions on Mar 15.

Maybe have to sneak into AZ ...

Dang CA is going to open it up to people with certain conditions on Mar 15.

Maybe have to sneak into AZ ...

Not sure how that might work. It seems that appts. are required in AZ for vaccinations. At the state run vaccination states, as well as Maricopa County, ID is required. And I'm not sure they will vaccinate someone from out of state at those locations. You might be able to score one at a participating pharmacy, though.

TN just announced it will open vaccinations to individuals with comorbidities starting next Monday 3/8. Just signed DW and myself up. Got an appointment next Tuesday 3/9. High blood pressure does it. But seems to be an honor system with our county health department- no proof needed other than DL to show we’re county residents

Not sure how that might work. It seems that appts. are required in AZ for vaccinations. At the state run vaccination states, as well as Maricopa County, ID is required. And I'm not sure they will vaccinate someone from out of state at those locations. You might be able to score one at a participating pharmacy, though.

Was joking. Probably at least 500 miles from AZ border.

Be much closer to sneak into NV or OR.

I didn't show one single piece of ID when I got vaccinated. Filled in the online info using medicare number. They asked online for my BD and address.

Walked in the pharmacy with DL, supplemental insurance and medicare cards in my hand and didn't have to show any of them..

Was joking. Probably at least 500 miles from AZ border.

Be much closer to sneak into NV or OR.
If any sneaking was required, I would not proceed, but if you can get an appointment without any subterfuge and that appointment happens to be across a state line, well, I'm not sure there's much wrong with that. The Carolinas have an amusement park where the state line runs right through the middle of it, and at least one roller coaster takes you across state lines, so how important is that line? Of course, I'm justifying my decision to head to my sister state tomorrow because they're doing healthy 55+. Maybe I should feel bad about it, but we're apparently not taking any spots from anyone in SC as there are still open slots for vaccination tomorrow at the Darlington raceway pop-up.

We are in PA and not old enough yet to get the vaccine. My grandparents and parents still have not gotten the vaccine. All of them are healthy but they haven't been able to get an appointment. They have registered on a couple of sites now but no appointments for the vaccine. Turns out they are saying on the news that the 4 satellite counties around Philadelphia aren't being given equal distribution as other counties in the State. I do not know if this is true. Some sites where they registered, they have received a confirming emails. Other sites they have received nothing. The local hospital where they registered only sent one confirming but it doesn't specify which grandparent the confirming is for. Also when you go to that hospitals web site now it says "this page no longer available". My grandparents weren't going to register anywhere else because they thought the hospital was close to them and they were familiar with it and trusted it. When they checked the local county web site it said not to "register at more than one site". I just "preregistered" both grandparents and parents on their local community college web site and at the local CVS pharmacy. My grandparents are in their 90's and my parents are in their 60's. I was talking to a neighbors son and he said he has his father (84) registered at 6 sites but has no appointment for the vaccine yet. My uncle (70) lives in upstate PA. and finally got an appointment for the vaccine and the location is 2 hours from his home.

I had to take over for my Dad in Central PA. He is 69. Their internet is so spotty and he doesn't have a smart phone, so there was no way he could navigate the systems on his own. I set him up with his local healthcare system (Geisinger) because he has their Medicare supplement insurance so he is in their system already. I also registered him with a local non profit that was working in the county to get seniors vaccinated. I stalked the local pharmacy websites and the local hospital watching to see when they put up their vaccine spots. After 3 1/2 weeks of trying I was finally able to snag him a spot at the local hospital. They put up their new appointments at noon on Tuesdays and all spots would be gone in the first 5 minutes. It was madness you have to enter a bunch of information and after filling in 15 different things when you get finished and click to reserve if the spot you were trying for, you are told ot was already taken while you were filling out information, so you had to start all over again. None of his information saved. So I would have to enter and re-enter his information, no less then 12 times and find out all spots were gone. By the third round of this, I finally got through. There is no way my Dad could have done this. I hear it has not gotten any better and it was 3 weeks ago, I was able to get him a spot. I also think the counties are not getting equal distribution and this is causing most people to look at other counties around them. I had done that for my Dad as well, I had him set up in the next counties hospital just to see if he could get it there.

Good luck, I really hope now with the J&J coming on line, it starts getting easier to get these vaccination appts.

My last physical the doctor said that my weight is a comorbidity factor and to get the vaccine when available. I'm in good shape so have been waiting for my age bracket instead.
Tuesday morning a news teaser came on saying NY was expanding the pool and my local site was adding a couple thousand appointments. I logged on assuming the age was going down to include me, but the additions were for Uber drivers and hotel employees.
Well the hell with it. I signed up for a shot on Friday. Pretty sure it will be the J&J shot - not my 1st choice but I'm happy to get anything.
I'm not happy with how NY is doing this. The State is always saying it's rolling out a science based, data driven program but looks like it going by political expediency to me. While the State is adding different careers to the list, local health officials are bemoaning how many 75+ yr olds haven't been able to get vaccinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom