Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is funding for the vaccine distribution. Over $400M has already been approved and there was $8B in the latest bill.
Except none of the $8B has been dispersed to states from the latest bill yet. For states to mobilize, they needed to start staffing and securing space before the vaccines arrived...

Except none of the $8B has been dispersed to states from the latest bill yet. For states to mobilize, they needed to start staffing and securing space before the vaccines arrived...

I understand that the new money hasnt been dispersed, but they did have almost 1/2B already, according to the WSJ. They just started vaccines, how much did they need for first 3 weeks.

We obviously look at this from different views, I just want to state that there has been funding provided.

The Washington Post has a very good free online page (no subscription required) showing the numbers for each state & DC of vaccines which have been allocated, received, and scheduled for reception over the next week. Also the number of vaccines administered, including percentages of the state's prioritized individuals who have received a vaccine, and the percentage of a state's population. I believe it is updated at least daily.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/grap...es-distribution-doses/?itid=hp-top-table-main

And the point of all those numbers is what? You live where you live and go by the guidelines in that state. Is it to make the residents of some states feel superior and some feel inferior? Maybe we could all move to the state that is the fastest? What an overload of not really usual information to us personally.It is good for a lot of finger pointing, which probably the point of it all.

My favorite part is where they magnanimously point out in the first paragraph, that it isn't the 20 million "promised" by the end of 2020. Pretty much noise like so many virus news stories of 2020.

Some sporadic reports of favoritism in letting people jump the queue, in FL and TN.

Some sporadic reports of favoritism in letting people jump the queue, in FL and TN.

I have no doubt that there are many doses being siphoned of to concierge medical practices. And that insiders are profiting monetarily from those siphoned off doses. Why should this event be different than any other in human history? If there were more doses, that wouldn't matter. More doses will solve the problem. That's why there is all this finger pointing going on. Not enough doses yet. We all need a little patience for now. So far we haven't seen vaccine doses on ebay, so that's a plus.

My favorite part is where they magnanimously point out in the first paragraph, that it isn't the 20 million "promised" by the end of 2020. Pretty much noise like so many virus news stories of 2020.

For me it’s the fact that the most vociferous criticism surrounding this 20 million benchmark comes from those who insisted there wouldn’t even be a vaccine until Q2 or Q3 of 2021 at the earliest.

And the point of all those numbers is what? You live where you live and go by the guidelines in that state. Is it to make the residents of some states feel superior and some feel inferior? Maybe we could all move to the state that is the fastest? What an overload of not really usual information to us personally.It is good for a lot of finger pointing, which probably the point of it all.

The Washington Post is a newspaper. They report news. The distribution and administering of vaccines is certainly news that I think many people, including myself, are interested in reading about. For the life of me, I cannot understand why you would get worked up about a legitimate news source reporting legitimate news. I think your comment is utterly bizarre.

The Washington Post is a newspaper. They report news. The distribution and administering of vaccines is certainly news that I think many people, including myself, are interested in reading about. For the life of me, I cannot understand why you would get worked up about a legitimate news source reporting legitimate news. I think your comment is utterly bizarre.

That's ok, I find the obsession with all the vaccine numbers on a daily basis a little bizarre too.. most of us need to wait until it gets down to our local level.. Its going to be a long process. Checking numbers every day won't make it happen any faster.

For me it’s the fact that the most vociferous criticism surrounding this 20 million benchmark comes from those who insisted there wouldn’t even be a vaccine until Q2 or Q3 of 2021 at the earliest.

+1

Interesting cattle call from Hidalgo County - first come, first served, from 8am until supplies run out supplies last - at the county livestock show grounds.

I wonder how that will turn out.

We are registered at UTRGV and watching HEB as well, and will get ours by appointment, thank you very much!

Attachments

• 65F966C9-9097-4E02-9389-9A6952CD6763.jpeg
    65F966C9-9097-4E02-9389-9A6952CD6763.jpeg
    76 KB · Views: 53

WaPo's COVID vaccination status website (linked above) is providing their 'narrative' by ignoring important context. That is not "news" in my book, but largely an opinion piece. Which is fine but should be labeled as such. Proper NEWS includes relevant context.

WaPo conveniently ignores the context that as late as August only the "most optimistic" projections were for ANY vaccine to be approved by November (https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...et-a-coronavirus-vaccine-until-well-into-2021). Then the 20 million figure came up which was always an ESTIMATE for doses of vaccine distribution given many weeks before any vaccine had been FDA approved for emergency use. Back then no one could have foreseen the Pfizer delay in providing their completed Phase III data to the FDA until AFTER the election, or that the FDA would then take weeks to act on this data. Or that there would be credible criminal threats to vaccine distribution efforts (even prompting Interpol press release) forcing deliveries to be made by largely unannounced routes & schedules. Or that the FDA (even after EUA approval) would impose last minute multi-day 'quality inspections' of each individual shipment prior to release. Or that some States, which were always to be responsible for their own prioritization and vaccine administrations, would be so inept in their administration efforts DESPITE getting hundreds of millions of dollars from the Feds over the past months for that specific purpose.

In addition WaPo's website provides a very misleading narrative by failing to even mention the known substantial lag in the vaccination numbers it is quoting. Both State and Federal agencies involved have always stated there would be a significant lag in COVID vaccination reporting. Under the CDC VTrckS vaccine tracking system (in place since 2013), vaccinations do not need to be reported by providers to the involved States for 72 hrs, and those States then have a window to report the numbers to CDC.
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#vaccinations

Given the totality of circumstances, IMHO the vaccine roll out, while certainly not perfect, has progressed pretty well. When the ACTUAL numbers through EOY are tallied (likely in a few weeks), the picture as of Jan 1 will be much brighter than what WaPo's website narrative now presents.

Interesting cattle call from Hidalgo County - first come, first served, from 8am until supplies run out supplies last - at the county livestock show grounds.

I wonder how that will turn out.

We are registered at UTRGV and watching HEB as well, and will get ours by appointment, thank you very much!

I saw that as well, and can only imagine what time the line is going to start forming. I told my DH we could drive over Mon night in the motorhome so we can wait in line with our own bathroom and bed...... just kidding, we will only go when we have an actual Appt time.

We are also registered with UTRGV, and have no idea how long their list is and where we are on it. We are only in the valley til the end of Feb tho, so if our first appointment doesn’t give us enough time to get the second shot while we are here we will have to forgo the first one. I was surprised TX is vaccinating 1b’s already.

That's ok, I find the obsession with all the vaccine numbers on a daily basis a little bizarre too.. most of us need to wait until it gets down to our local level.. Its going to be a long process. Checking numbers every day won't make it happen any faster.

Then, ummm, why are you reading and commenting on a thread dedicated to the progression of vaccine distrubution?

The best news of all these reports to me is that the vaccine shots are really happening & that states' systems appear to be stepping up their paces. It's not a figment, a mirage, a promise. Complaints are good because people believe they've truly arrived & believe they will help.

Then, ummm, why are you reading and commenting on a thread dedicated to the progression of vaccine distrubution?

Vaccine production, allocation, grouping people by risk and administration are more then numbers. But some people think it's all numbers... feel free to stick my name on your ignore list.

Last edited:
Well, it ain't goin' too good here in the DFW area. Maybe we need a Pollyanna to make a big personal appearance here and correct all our attitudes.

I think it comes down to a "we don't wanna do". My county, far from a poor $ one, has stayed out of vaccine anything from what I can tell. They finally updated the county website to put a few words and links on the vaccines... to other websites. This is the same county that dragged their feet on mail-in voting, even for 65 and over that has been legitimate for years. Just don't wanna do. Go to pharmacies, they'll take care of it.

The state website has a map, that seems to be provided by Fish and Wildlife, that shows vaccine providers. Rarely updated. The few pharmacies listed in the area won't answer their phones. Pharmacies all over have stopped answering their phones. They say they can't service their existing customers due to constant phone traffic. I see their point, it's not their fault. There is NO SYSTEM of vaccine distribution to the actual arms. Saw that ONE small pharmacy in Dallas proper has started a registration system. One. The pharmacy chains have "coming soon" blurbs on their websites, but no info. Our Phase 1b has started, yet there is no system. It will be pandemonium. One pharmacy chain, we can give them some personal info online, and they will "alert us" to vaccine news. Not registration for appointments.

In my state, in my area, I think "don't wanna do" has prevailed instead of planning. I don't see how pharmacies are going to suddenly pull a rabbit out of the hat. Their stores lack the parking, facilities, and staff needed for rapid large-scale vaccinations, other than one vac every 10 minutes or so. Even if they did it 8 AM to 8 PM seven days a week, that's only 72 vaccinations a day per pharmacy! Chicken feed! Remember, these pharmacies have plenty of non-Covid-19 business to attend to. They ain't sittin' around with nothing to do. They were busy BEFORE Covid-19.

I think Pharmacies DO need to be up and running real soon (like now!) with actual reservation systems. But pharmacies will not be the savior alone. It's going to take many many vaccine administration sites to make a dent in it. Maybe have to set up third-world type stands on street corners. I don't see our older folks standing out in lines, in cold rains, many out overnight, to get a chance at maybe getting a vaccine at some sports arena or something like that before they run out of vac for that day. It needs to be a very distributed system to get people close to where they live. If they can make it portable, during the week there are all sorts of churches that have large parking lots and good-size buildings that are empty. And on Saturdays and Sundays, public schools are empty and have the same.

But we need a registration/reservation system. And planning, which should have happened a while ago. There is a doctor of infectious diseases at Baylor (the university), that has said it's like 20 million boxes of IKEA furniture were dropped off, and only now is it realized that assembly is required...

Thanks for reading my rant. There is no substitute for well-shared, not last-minute planning, to iron out kinks/major screwups that one small group may not catch, but others can see. As a consultant said to me in the early 1980s, "It's the worriers like us that make things work out!".

Last edited:
The 20 million number came from the head of HHS. It's not like someone outside made up that number.

Presumably HHS had a good idea of how much they were going to get, were in contact with the vendors and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom