Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're probably right about the Fed government not being able to actually set up the shots. But, during this world-wide pandemic, I think the Federal Government should have helped plan and already funneled money to the states to help get shots in arms. My state is already whining about not having the resources and money necessary to actually give the shots.

I like the arena idea for large metro areas. Or, better yet forget the Arena and use the parking lot for a drive thru. How about we pay Mcdonalds to stop making burgers and use the drive thru for "happy shots".

Just cause your state is whining doesn't mean they didn't get federal money. And for a novel idea they could actually use some of the money they collect to protect the citizens of their state.

My disagreement is only that I think this is already happening. I expect to receive my shot at no charge for either the vaccine or the injection process and I don't think the providers will be doing it for free. Our taxes are paying.

Agreed, the shot itself will be free and paid with taxes. That's good. I think it's the process of actually getting the shot that will be the big problem. Biden is making a big deal of 100 million shots in his first 100 days. That's only 50 million people by the end of April. Needs to be double that.

Yep. "Opening things up" should depend on infection rates, not on percent of people vaccinated.

For how long, if a large percent of people choose not to get vaccinated at some point it's not my problem. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. I'm not sitting at home, or masking or not seeing friends indefinitely because some people don't believe in science.

...I like the arena idea for large metro areas. Or, better yet forget the Arena and use the parking lot for a drive thru. ...

In my town, the local mall parking lot is the site of a drive through testing station. I don't think it would take much to turn it into a drive through vaccination center.

Couple things
1) we were sent paperwork to consent fir DF's CVS administered vaccine at a longterm care home. Today we recieve an email stating residents in personal care (him) will not be vaccinated. Sane building, same shared staffing, same huge outbreak in spring, but no shot for you.

2) Any one who has done ivf in this country could administer the shots. They have prob 50 shots worth of experience. And the training is videos on youtube (not kidding). This us an untapped market of potential volunteers. No they can't screen or monitor but they can certainly do the jabs competently. Just throwing that out there. That's a decent amount of folks prob better on their feet for longish days than insulin shot dependent diabetics who are wellversed on just subcutaneous shots. Ivf requires you to do both Subq and intramuscular.

Yep. "Opening things up" should depend on infection rates, not on percent of people vaccinated.

As usual your point makes sense, but this is a behavioral issue, so people will probably look at both infection and vaccination rates, discuss within their social and media networks, and act based on that. My guess is things will be safer sooner but people will take longer to break out of their current trench mindset.

Just cause your state is whining doesn't mean they didn't get federal money. And for a novel idea they could actually use some of the money they collect to protect the citizens of their state.

Ha! My state is usually in the bottom 5 of anything health related, so we're used to it. My Governor told the feds this Summer we didn't need anymore money.

As usual your point makes sense, but this is a behavioral issue, so people will probably look at both infection and vaccination rates, discuss within their social and media networks, and act based on that. My guess is things will be safer sooner but people will take longer to break out of their current trench mindset.

I was really thinking of the crossover period, when the percentage of folks vaccinated is growing but far from complete, when I made that comment. Say 80% will eventually be vaccinated and it turns out that vaccinated folks can spread the virus. At the half way point (40% vaccinated) and I'm one of the 40% still waiting, I sure wouldn't want to be called back to an unsafe work environment based on the vaccination percentage.

I think handling the crossover period (the time from the first vaccination to the end of the lines) will or should be highly dependent on whether vaccinated folks are still contagious or not. That will be the dominant driver of the infection rate at that time.

I like your guess! "Safer sooner" sounds good to me!

Last edited:
I'm not sitting at home, or masking or not seeing friends indefinitely because some people don't believe in science.

As I mentioned above, my concern is focused on the folks waiting for the months it's apparently going to take for all who wish to be vaccinated to be vaccinated. Until the so-called authorities can show that vaccinated people cannot transmit the virus, it seems immoral to allow the early vaccine recipients to rip off their masks and behave as though there isn't a problem.

I get your point about how to handle the situation if a large portion of our population refuse the vaccine forever, but I'm quite optimistic that isn't going to happen.

The CMO in England said that frontline healthcare workers who have been vaccinated will continue to have regular Covid tests done which will show if they become asymptomatic Covid spreaders. If the vaccine does or does not prevent the vaccinated from becoming spreaders should be known by end of February. Meanwhile the assumption is that a vaccinated person may catch Covid and become a spreader so normal mask wearing and social distancing should be practiced.

I get your point about how to handle the situation if a large portion of our population refuse the vaccine forever, but I'm quite optimistic that isn't going to happen.

Once the vaccine is available to everybody on a timely basis, like today's flu shot, I think the unvaccinated will be mostly irrelevant. At that point they mainly put themselves at risk. I believe that will be a very small percentage of the population, say under 15%. They may end up contributing to herd immunity the hard way, by getting CV and surviving it. It's their choice.

Perhaps they can take an idea from the measles parties where upon finding out Johnny down the street has measles, they take their kids to his house to get infected. I can see it now, monthly Corona Virus parties until mid 2022 publicized on the MeetUp website. The guest of honor will be anybody currently infected with the virus. He/She can do fun things like double dipping, and sneezing over the food table. Perhaps they can lick the serving spoons. Heck, the Infector General can charge $5 to belt out their favorite song while guests stand 6 inches from the IG's face inhaling deeply. What fun. :rolleyes:

Once the vaccine is available to everybody on a timely basis, like today's flu shot, I think the unvaccinated will be mostly irrelevant. At that point they mainly put themselves at risk. I believe that will be a very small percentage of the population, say under 15%. They may end up contributing to herd immunity the hard way, by getting CV and surviving it. It's their choice.

Perhaps they can take an idea from the measles parties where upon finding out Johnny down the street has measles, they take their kids to his house to get infected. I can see it now, monthly Corona Virus parties until mid 2022 publicized on the MeetUp website. The guest of honor will be anybody currently infected with the virus. He/She can do fun things like double dipping, and sneezing over the food table. Perhaps they can lick the serving spoons. Heck, the Infector General can charge $5 to belt out their favorite song while guests stand 6 inches from the IG's face inhaling deeply. What fun. :rolleyes:
I'm not going to mock anyone who goes without vaccines, but I'm not pandering to them either.

I'm not going to mock anyone who goes without vaccines, but I'm not pandering to them either.

I didn't mean to mock anybody. I respect their right to make that decision. It was my attempt to generate a little humor into this discussion. Think a Saturday Night Live skit (back when they really were funny).

Personally, I believe most people will end up getting the vaccine, not because some celebrity or politician says to, but because they have decided its the right thing to do for themselves and their loved ones. Yes, there will be those who refuse the vaccine, just as there are a small number of parents who really do think measles parties are better than the measles vaccine. As my grand pappy used to say, "The #1 Rule of Life is that you can't control other people."

I think those who believe it is their right to refuse to get vaccinated are in for a bit of a shock when others exercise their right to refuse to accommodate the unvaccinated: as in travel by air, bus or train, entry to other countries, entry to sports venues, entry to concerts, etc.

Personally, I believe most people will end up getting the vaccine, not because some celebrity or politician says to, but because they have decided its the right thing to do for themselves and their loved ones. Yes, there will be those who refuse the vaccine, just as there are a small number of parents who really do think measles parties are better than the measles vaccine. As my grand pappy used to say, "The #1 Rule of Life is that you can't control other people."

We have one other. Couple that we see while in lockdown. The other couple are 70 and 89 with issues rhat would move them up in the line. These 2 and DW all have said for a while now how they won’t get the vaccine at this time because of the speed it was brought to market. All 3 of them are softening resistance and are now talking about when they would get vaccinated or which they are most confident with getting. I’m ready to get one today but alas I’m the youngest and in the yet to be defined group.

Point is that some surveys said many won’t get vaccinated but I see in my small group the resistance is being weakened. Let’s hope the rest of the country is undergoing similar thinking and line up at their time.

Unfortunately, the unvaccinated may continue to provide a large reservoir for the virus, giving it more chance to replicate and mutate

These strains we'e seeing, where they're more transmissible than earlier strains, may be due to so many people being hosts for virus that it keeps getting more chances to replicate and mutate until it results in strains which are more transmissible.

We still don't know if the current vaccines which were designed almost a year ago based on the strains that existed at the time are going to be highly effective vs. the new strains.

Chances are they will be but it's a risk to give the virus more chances to mutate.

Boy I hope that guy gets a long prison sentence--500 doses had to be thrown away. I read that 57 people got the vaccine that he had let spoil. I guess this people will have to be revaccinated. Wonder why someone would do such an awful thing?

Some of the lot of vaccine was still usable, according to news reports.

As for why, I'm sure you can figure that out.

Unfortunately, the unvaccinated may continue to provide a large reservoir for the virus, giving it more chance to replicate and mutate

I was listening to a BBC or CBC report last night that pointed out that outside of the richest countries, the world's population may have to wait for years for vaccine. That leaves a vast pool of humans for the virus to replicate and mutate. https://apnews.com/article/poorer-countries-coronavirus-vaccine-0980fa905b6e1ce2f14a149cd2c438cd

So far our county is vaccinating only health care workers at our only hospital.

Did some math. Our county has 53000 people. Say 40,000 people get vaccinated. Say it gets done in 200 days. That’s 200 per day, but really 400 per day because each person needs 2 doses.

That’s more than 30 per hour for a 12 hour day. Original thoughts were to have our county health dept or single county hospital serve as vaccination sites.

I’m not knowledgeable in vaccination logistics, but I don’t think that 80000 doses can be administered from a single facility 12 hrs a day over 200 days. I suspect our county will need at least 4 facilities to administer the vaccine.

So it would take 1 facility to vaccinate every 10000 people at a rate of one dose every 7 or 8 minutes for 12 hrs a day to vaccinate the masses in 200 days. I think the people in charge need to run some numbers and get some facilities and medical personnel personnel lined up to administer the vaccine. I don’t think manufacturing the vaccine will be the problem - the task of administering the vaccine in a timely manner will be.

Last edited:
As for why, I'm sure you can figure that out.

I've been trying, and the best I can come up with is that he had a short position in Moderna stock and wanted the vaccine to be seen as a failure.

Most of the vaccines are going with 2 doses, though not all.

The Johnson & Johnson vaccine is a one dose vaccine. The US has preordered 100,000,000 doses. It only requires refrigeration to remain "good" for three months.

It is expected to be available in March.

Say 80% will eventually be vaccinated and it turns out that vaccinated folks can spread the virus. At the half way point (40% vaccinated) and I'm one of the 40% still waiting, I sure wouldn't want to be called back to an unsafe work environment based on the vaccination percentage.

I think handling the crossover period (the time from the first vaccination to the end of the lines) will or should be highly dependent on whether vaccinated folks are still contagious or not. That will be the dominant driver of the infection rate at that time.

Until the so-called authorities can show that vaccinated people cannot transmit the virus, it seems immoral to allow the early vaccine recipients to rip off their masks and behave as though there isn't a problem.

Since the vaccine is not 100% effective, some vaccinated people will still become infected with the virus. Once infected, it doesn't take a serious case to shed virus. That's even been proved in asymptomatic cases. If you get infected, you can shed the virus.

One of the reasons I read as to why some health care folks don't want the vaccine now is if the vaccine doesn't prevent transmission, they would rather potential patients get the vaccine rather than worry about getting it themselves (since they have avoided CV this far).

What amazes me is when people use that as an excuse not to get the vaccination. About 95% of people vaccinated will NOT become infected in the first place. I'm waiting to get my second dose of Moderna in a few weeks. I'm looking forward to it.

Last edited:
In my Chicago suburb the Health Department will start (1/4/21) vaccinating EMS, police, any variety of health care worker, including health care support staff. They are setting up a drive-by center. Hospital and nursing homes are continuing with on-site vaccinations.

The CMO in England said that frontline healthcare workers who have been vaccinated will continue to have regular Covid tests done which will show if they become asymptomatic Covid spreaders. If the vaccine does or does not prevent the vaccinated from becoming spreaders should be known by end of February. Meanwhile the assumption is that a vaccinated person may catch Covid and become a spreader so normal mask wearing and social distancing should be practiced.

That's great news that we could get some sort of determination that soon. One of the reasons I read as to why some health care folks don't want the vaccine now is if the vaccine doesn't prevent transmission, they would rather potential patients get the vaccine rather than worry about getting it themselves (since they have avoided CV this far).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom