Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard J&J vaccine is behind schedule on production.

And Pfizer has halted production to upgrade a factory.

All those billions the US govt. gave them and they didn't seem to have stockpiled tens of millions as they were expected too.

Just for clarity, the US government didn't "give" money to Pfizer as part of operation Warp Speed.

In July, Pfizer got a $1.95 billion deal with the government’s Operation Warp Speed, the multiagency effort to rush a vaccine to market, to deliver 100 million doses of the vaccine. The arrangement is an advance-purchase agreement, meaning that the company won’t get paid until they deliver the vaccines. Pfizer did not accept federal funding to help develop or manufacture the vaccine, unlike front-runners Moderna and AstraZeneca.
Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/10/...-of-the-governments-operation-warp-speed.html

Also, the Pfizer factory closing is in Europe and affects Europe, not the USA
... This comes as CNN reports Pfizer Covid-19 vaccine shipments will be temporarily reduced outside the US as manufacturing scales up.

Specifically Pfizer said on Friday that shipments from its vaccine facility in Puurs, Belgium, will be temporarily reduced as it scales up to produce two billion Covid-19 vaccine doses in 2021. ...
Source: https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-...s-01-15-21/h_ae8a53335ace398d7b0ff575c8c11aa5

Yeah they made an pre-purchase agreement with Pfizer.

I don't know if they paid some money upfront or only on delivery.

But production levels for all companies are not up to forecasted levels.

Some of it involves having enough workers with specific skills.

I guess we all need to get out our old copies of "Lord of the Flies".

Let's all get a grip. 10 months ago the conventional wisdom (myself included) was there was no way to get a vaccine that fast. Now we seem to be fighting one another to get it.

Deep Breaths (but not close to anyone). It will eventually happen.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

News today from the President elect..

pledges a 100 million new vaccinations in a 100 days from now... is this a practical obtainable goal?

All these public officials keep setting themselves up for second guessing by not meeting numbers or goals. This feels like it could be a failure in the making...I'd love it to be true but it has to be made, shipped and put in each arm...

News today from the President elect..

pledges a 100 million new vaccinations in a 100 days from now... is this a practical obtainable goal?

All these public officials keep setting themselves up for second guessing by not meeting numbers or goals. This feels like it could be a failure in the making...I'd love it to be true but it has to be made, shipped and put in each arm...

Maybe I’m too optimistic but I don’t think it will be much of a stretch. Bloomberg finally added a graph of daily vaccinations. The last seven days averaged 844k per day and the last two days exceeded 1M each.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/covid-vaccine-tracker-global-distribution/

I guess we all need to get out our old copies of "Lord of the Flies".

Let's all get a grip. 10 months ago the conventional wisdom (myself included) was there was no way to get a vaccine that fast. Now we seem to be fighting one another to get it.

Deep Breaths (but not close to anyone). It will eventually happen.

Agree, except some poor souls who did their best to shelter to avoid Covid are going to be some of the last one to get sick and die because they simply weren't in the right place at the right time to get vaccinated. That sucks, no two ways about it. No one wants to be that person...and I don't think that is a selfish feeling.

^^^ Yep, a doctor friend of mine had a mentor, who was 89, and apparently a wonderful person. He died last week from Covid, just as he was about to get the shot. Such a shame.

You don't want to be a Henry Gunther, the WWI soldier that died 1 minute before the Armistice.

Second day after shot, very minor tenderness at injection point, but no different than a flu shot. The County also issued us a vaccination record card yesterday and instructions to register the shot at the CDC V-safe website. I believe the V-Safe site is just being used to track for side effects.

So I now know 4 non medical people in their 30s that have gotten the shot, but my 87 yr old mom has to wait 12 more days.
The 30 year olds must be the ones overwhelming the ICUs. SMH.

Still giving odds that college students get the shot before my 62 yr old butt does.

Finally, here in WA (the state) a glimpse of good news.

The state has rolled out its online App for determining eligibility for the vaccine. I entered my info and, of course, since we are still vaccinating medical people, it told me I was not eligible at this time. But, it is supposed email me when I am. Then I get to try and find a time and place to actually get vaccinated.

One of the smaller communities in our state got a bit of a nice surprise. It's a city that is favored by retired people. The local Native American Tribe found that about 50% of their eligible members did not want to get the vaccine. So they worked with local communities to open up a drive-in site to the locals over 65 who were not members of the Tribe. They were overwhelmed, turning away 75% of those in line when they ran out of vaccine. I believe the Tribe is hoping that its members will now be more motivated to get the vaccine. I hope it worked.

The Tribe was able to ignore the governor's vaccination rules (as well as other Covid rules) due to their sovereign status.

Last edited:
Second day after shot, very minor tenderness at injection point, but no different than a flu shot. The County also issued us a vaccination record card yesterday and instructions to register the shot at the CDC V-safe website. I believe the V-Safe site is just being used to track for side effects.

Me too. I signed up with the V safe app after my vaccination on Thursday. The app has been checking on me daily since my vaccination to be sure I did not have any side effects. Fortunately no side effects and the slight arm soreness I had is now all gone.

My phone is ringing off the hook with friends (most of whom are in their 70s) asking how I got the vaccine. I have been able to help get some of them vaccination appointments through my "system." My "system" is to look for vaccinations in rural counties with smaller populations (many of these counties have a lot of people refusing the vaccines). I have also noticed that most of these rural county health departments post their vaccination info on Facebook--they don't seem to have websites. I am not a big Facebook fan but I do have a Facebook account and that is the way I found out how to get the vaccination myself. Maybe I have found a new post retirement job--"vaccination finder."

My phone is ringing off the hook with friends (most of whom are in their 70s) asking how I got the vaccine. I have been able to help get some of them vaccination appointments through my "system." My "system" is to look for vaccinations in rural counties with smaller populations (many of these counties have a lot of people refusing the vaccines). I have also noticed that most of these rural county health departments post their vaccination info on Facebook--they don't seem to have websites. I am not a big Facebook fan but I do have a Facebook account and that is the way I found out how to get the vaccination myself. Maybe I have found a new post retirement job--"vaccination finder."

It appears you might have some customers on the forum needing assistance.

Wait a second, let me get this straight. You are complaining of unfair cutting in line by Virginians with connections. And yet you brought a non-Florida resident to my state, cutting in front of me and my fellow Floridians to get your MIL vaccinated?
I guess your MIL now has "special people" with connections too!

Nothing "special" about filling out the Florida health department form with the MIL's info and showing her Virginia ID. It's open to the public/everyone. They had plenty of vaccines available.

Are you having difficulty finding a vaccine? In South Florida? You might check out Florida counties way north of you and see if it's worth the drive to get the shot now. That's what drove us to get the MIL to a place where she could easily get vaccinated.

All the best.

The Tribe was able to ignore the governor's vaccination rules (as well as other Covid rules) due to their sovereign status.

The reservations here in AZ have some highest covid infection/death rates in AZ, at one time accounting for ~15% of deaths from covid even though less than 5% of the population. Haven't read anything about high numbers of them refusing to get the vaccine, I sure hope not.

So I now know 4 non medical people in their 30s that have gotten the shot, but my 87 yr old mom has to wait 12 more days.
The 30 year olds must be the ones overwhelming the ICUs. SMH.

Still giving odds that college students get the shot before my 62 yr old butt does.

Maybe the 30 year olds are first responders? Maybe they happened to be close by at the end of the day when there was leftover vaccine that had to be used or wasted? I’d rather have every single dose of vaccine used than worry about a few youngsters jumping ahead of the seniors.

Maybe the 30 year olds are first responders? Maybe they happened to be close by at the end of the day when there was leftover vaccine that had to be used or wasted? I’d rather have every single dose of vaccine used than worry about a few youngsters jumping ahead of the seniors.

That was my first thought too. Given the current state of societal affairs, I'm afraid LEOs have completely been forgotten. Their risk is super high.

That was my first thought too. Given the current state of societal affairs, I'm afraid LEOs have completely been forgotten. Their risk is super high.

Can't say for other states, but in Connecticut, medical first responders (EMTs, Paramedics and police/fire personnel who respond to medical emergencies) are in Group 1a and have been eligible since the beginning. Any other first responders are defined as "essential workers" and in Group 1b, right after the 75+ crowd, which started this week and should take no more than 3 weeks at current rates of vaccination. So, not forgotten here.

Teachers.
Medical equiptment repair person.
Funeral home worker.

Oddly they got it sooner as they signed up the day after my mother and different locations opened. Told mom I was going to reapply but she said she wants to wait. She really doesn't want it but is only getting it to humor DS and me.

Still saying if the ICU s are full get the group's filling them vaccinated. Looking at the 1b list in NY just about any government employee (Liqour Board control .... ) is eligible.

Last edited:
Teachers.
Medical equiptment repair person.
Funeral home worker.

Oddly they got it sooner as they signed up the day after my mother and different locations opened. Told mom I was going to reapply but she said she wants to wait. She really doesn't want it but is only getting it to humor DS and me.

Still saying if the ICU s are full get the group's filling them vaccinated. Looking at the 1b list in NY just about any government employee (Liqour Board control .... ) is eligible.

In PA, those three occupations are eligible ahead of the general public. It makes sense to me, since teachers are working in schools with little germ factories, we certainly want medical repair people able to do the job, and funeral home directors are tasked with handling the remains of those who succumbed to COVID 19.

I was talking with my DD this morning who told me that the employees in the manufacturing part of her employer will be getting vaccines soon. She works for a healthcare-related company. Besides making reagents that are critical for certain medical tests, those workers may soon be tasked with producing vaccines if the Defense Production Act is activated.

It must be hard to decide who gets in line first for vaccines. Do we allocate vaccines according to age because old people on average have worse outcomes, or do we try to protect the people who have essential roles keeping the community going? A 75 year old is certainly at more risk if he contracts the virus, but it’s much easier for a 75 year old retiree to avoid exposure than it is for the teacher required to work in person.

Finally, here in WA (the state) a glimpse of good news.

The state has rolled out its online App for determining eligibility for the vaccine. I entered my info and, of course, since we are still vaccinating medical people, it told me I was not eligible at this time. But, it is supposed email me when I am. Then I get to try and find a time and place to actually get vaccinated.

We live in WA and I have not seen how to get this app on general Inslees web sites. Can you provide a link to where you found it? Despite the Fed suggestion of over 65 getting the vaccine priority, WA seems to be still on the age 70 break for phase 1 a and b. Has it changed?

Here in NC those 65 and older are getting the vaccine ahead of essential workers. This was a benefit to me and my DH since we have been able to get the vaccine but I still think that essential workers like teachers should have been able to get it before us.

Here in NC those 65 and older are getting the vaccine ahead of essential workers. This was a benefit to me and my DH since we have been able to get the vaccine but I still think that essential workers like teachers should have been able to get it before us.

The whole original premise of shut down was to protect the elderly and those who are most likely to die from the virus. If true, then the same should hold for the release of a vaccine. If businesses, schools and such were shut down to save grandma, then it makes perfect sense to inoculate grandma first.

Here is Michigan it's a crap show. DM lives in an independent living facility which didn't qualify for tier whatever injections. Although the same staff covers all units. Meanwhile the weasels that run the place posted a notice at 5 PM Friday on her door that someone tested positive and they should take emergency precautions. Then they went home for the weekend. Someone's going to have a lousy Monday morning when they show up.

Two covid shots in 2 different states

Can we get the first covid shot in Florida, then return home to Ohio and get the second shot. We are currently snowbirds in Florida trying to register for our first covid shot. Depending on timing of our first shot we may be back in Ohio before we are eligible for the second shot. Can we simply present our document from receipt of the first shot as evidence for getting the second one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom