Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
My parents got their first shot yesterday, and are scheduled for their 2nd. They were very lucky to get in so soon, and they enrolled the day before the news of the email address made it onto the local news.

In a county of over 1m, we have 400k over 65. 120k have requested appointments via email. They are handling ~500 vaccines per day. And the county is receiving 5k doses per week. News of new sites and locations for receiving the vaccine aren't being balanced with news of greater supply.

I saw on the news, Cook County (Chicago and area) had to announce they were opening a bunch more vaccination sites , basically doubling the number :)

Then the person says: This does not mean there are more vaccines and that you will be able to get a shot. We will let you know in about 2 weeks more details :facepalm:

Our county doesn't give vaccine to doctors. Instead, it uses the "watch for an alert text and go to this web site/dial this # to make an appointment." Each time I've been sitting there hitting the buttons/dialing the #'s, and each time the appointments are filled 5-6 minutes. I understand that people from adjoining counties - probably entire families at a time - are hitting the site and phone # too. I have lost all hope.

Frustrating phone call to our dr's office this morning.

Me: "My wife was in your office for an appointment a couple of weeks ago and was told you would put both she and I on your list to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. I'd like to confirm we are on the list"

Office: "Let me check...no sir, your names are not on the list. I can put you on it now."

Me: "That's really disappointing since being two weeks late getting our names on the list will reduce our chances of getting vaccinated the next time you get in some vaccine."

Office: "No sir, it won't. Dr. XXXX makes the determination of who we will call when we get in some vaccine, not when you get placed on the list."

Me: "OK, please put us on the list"

After getting DOB information and confirming phone # info, I asked if
she could give me a rough idea of how many people were on the list.

Office: "No sir, we don't give out that information."

Me: "Do you have any any idea when you will get more vaccine?"

Office: "No, but we hope it will be within the next 2-3 weeks."

Me: "One last thing - will you please reconfirm that both my wife and I are now on the list."

Office: "Yes sir, you are."

Me, thinking to myself: Sure we are...

Tomorrow at 8 am, phone lines open to take appointments for a mass vaccination next week in an adjoining county where they will give out 9,000 doses of Moderna vaccine. This is the same number of doses that were available this past week when they received 5.9 Million phone calls from folks trying to make an appointment. :facepalm:

What are the odds I'll get through...

Now you have some idea of how it must feel to win the lottery - without all those pesky relatives calling you to borrow money.

You bet!
They just opened it up this morning to the geezer crowd for online scheduling, and phone applications will be accepted starting Monday. Not bad at all. I really wasn't expecting to get it until March, so this was very good news.

Got my first Moderna shot this morning. Didn't even feel it. Slight headache afterward but didn't last long. Today's process was fast and efficient.

I feel very fortunate to get it this early in the process. MS no longer accepting new appointments as current inventory is booked through the 1st of February. A new batch is suppose to arrive mid Feb so hopefully I can get the 2nd shot in the recommended time frame.

I got my first Moderna shot yesterday--no side effects whatsoever except a slight amount of pain at the vaccination site, less pain than I get from the flu shot. Not nearly as bad as Shingrix or the tetanus shot.

This may throw off some vaccine distribution plans -- the reserve vaccine supply the administration claimed to have doesn't actually exist. https://www.forbes.com/sites/joewalsh/2021/01/15/us-has-no-covid-19-vaccine-reserve-despite-trump-administrations-claims-report-says/?sh=51170f02173b

Yup - I just saw an article in WaPo saying the same thing.

I will now return to my original expectation, which is that I will be lucky to get a vaccination by July. :facepalm:

I just hope my aunt and uncle (84 and 86) got their vaccines as scheduled today at their CCRC. Fingers crossed.

I was able to make an appointment on the NYS website on Tuesday, as soon as I learned that eligibility was expanded to 65+. It took forever, but it worked - whew! The appointment is Feb 5 at one of the state's mega-sites. I was lucky; many are still scrambling, but everything filled up fast.

When I grabbed that appointment (at the only location that could be booked online) I planned to try to re-reschedule it by phone at a more convenient location, like a nearby pharmacy, but that hope soon evaporated. Most pharmacies aren't even scheduling anything yet since they don't know when they will get a supply, or how much. As of yesterday, you could still make an appointment at the location where I am booked, but the earliest is mid-April.

Today's news about depleted supplies is sobering. Many states apparently expanded eligibility & made plans for more distribution sites since they anticipated getting an expanded supply. States that have distributed what seems like a low % of the doses received to date are looking smart since they need half of what they have to cover second doses -- and now to try to cover the appointments made this week in the face of what may be a less-than-expected future supply.

Last edited:
My state MN makes me want to bang my head..they have literally endless priority groups, with sub groups in them. The result as anyone with a brain would expect..the doses used is at a robust 33%.

Of course the governor in his infinite wisdom blames the Feds "for not sending enough doses"..he must think we are stupid..big announment yesterday opened to over 65 if vaccine has been opened might be wasted. Thanks for that news flash...

Another Minnesotan here. I had my physical yesterday and asked the Dr about the shot. He just shrugged his shoulders and said they haven't told them any timelines. This was at a Fairview Clinic, one of the largest health providers in the state, and they don't have a clue. :facepalm:

I heard J&J vaccine is behind schedule on production.

And Pfizer has halted production to upgrade a factory.

All those billions the US govt. gave them and they didn't seem to have stockpiled tens of millions as they were expected too.

So we took the MIL from Virginia and took her to Florida to get her vaccinated. That's working out well.....with no progress in Virginia for her.

But the BIL & SIL in Virginia (over 65) told us today that because their relative works in a hospital (Shenandoah Valley) they have appointments next week for vaccinations (at the hospital, not open to the public).

What is going on in Virginia?....Is this "rules for thee but not for me"? Worried about the "average" person in Virginia who is "not connected". This seems so wrong.

But again, thank you to Florida where we now have my 79 year old mother and my 86 year old MIL (resident of Virginia) now getting "good to go" with their vaccines.....While the "special people" in Virginia with connections are all fine.

Something smells rotten.

Keep pushing folks.....We are getting this done.....

DW and I received our Moderna shots today, very efficient process despite all those waiting in line. We arrived at 12:30PM and were on our way home by 1:20 PM. Didn't feel the needle at all and no soreness so far. The process was being run by the fire department and other volunteers.

The CDC has a list of underlying conditions which lists Diabetes Type II as a condition. Anyone know why Type I Diabetes isn't on the list?

No wonder my husband, in his 80's, can't land a vaccine appointment. We are Florida residents. We can't compete with entire families from out of state bringing in their old people.

So we took the MIL from Virginia and took her to Florida to get her vaccinated. That's working out well.....with no progress in Virginia for her.

But the BIL & SIL in Virginia (over 65) told us today that because their relative works in a hospital (Shenandoah Valley) they have appointments next week for vaccinations (at the hospital, not open to the public).

What is going on in Virginia?....Is this "rules for thee but not for me"? Worried about the "average" person in Virginia who is "not connected". This seems so wrong.

But again, thank you to Florida where we now have my 79 year old mother and my 86 year old MIL (resident of Virginia) now getting "good to go" with their vaccines.....While the "special people" in Virginia with connections are all fine.

Something smells rotten.

Keep pushing folks.....We are getting this done.....

Wait a second, let me get this straight. You are complaining of unfair cutting in line by Virginians with connections. And yet you brought a non-Florida resident to my state, cutting in front of me and my fellow Floridians to get your MIL vaccinated?
I guess your MIL now has "special people" with connections too!

No wonder my husband, in his 80's, can't land a vaccine appointment. We are Florida residents. We can't compete with entire families from out of state bringing in their old people.

This is the issue with no uniform rules...they use the rules to make things OK..no rule breaking was involved, that doesn't mean it was fair. But some posters could think before they post..

I signed up online my 88 year old MIL for her shot 4 days ago. She was called by the health department and received her vaccine today. She lives in Tennesse.

That was quick.

Last edited:
The good news is my 83 year old mother living in senior living facility received her first shot today. We had filled out paper work registration last week and were told that CVS would be at the facility next Thursday to do 250 vaccines. There are about 500 residents and workers who should be on the list. I called today to see how they would determine if my mother would be on the list or not. I was told they had a surprise arrival this morning of CVS with the vaccine and they were scrambling to get all the residents to the building and room for their shots. Somehow my mother got herself there in time to get her shot. I did not have time to get there to assist her. I am happy that in all the confusion my mother did manage to get her shot.

I guess we all need to get out our old copies of "Lord of the Flies".

Let's all get a grip. 10 months ago the conventional wisdom (myself included) was there was no way to get a vaccine that fast. Now we seem to be fighting one another to get it.

Deep Breaths (but not close to anyone). It will eventually happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom