Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have made some good points. Especially that last one concerning how they view questioning the validity of new claims and ideas. As far as being conservative, I think some do that very well. Their answers are peppered with statements like "based upon what we know today, which could change as we learn more" blah, blah, blah...

Part of the problem is weak logical skills on the part of the press and the public, as well as an apparent inability to tolerate vague, ambiguous and/or incomplete information. People want a definitive answer that will never change and they want it right now. But science doesn't work that way. Scientists are always searching for more and better information, and if that leads to revisions/reversals of prior conclusions, then that is as it should be.

So, for example, virologist A says "we don't know if the current vaccines will work against the South African variant." Immediately, the articles take on a negative tone -- "Oh no, the vaccine won't work! We're all going to die." NO, they said they don't know if it will work. That is NOT the same as saying they know it will not work. Maybe we will find out that it does work. And as another example, at one time they were uncertain whether fomite transmission was a major cause of infection, so everyone went at it with the scrubbing and disinfecting. Now we know that it is a minor source of transmission and the airborne route is a much greater threat. And people complain "those stupid scientists, they misled us." NO, they acted on the basis of information they had. When the information changed, their conclusions changed. I believe Emerson had something to say about "a foolish consistency".

Last edited:
Paterson NJ International High School. Google Mayor Andre Sayegh. His plan to vaccinate weekly believing first come first serve Are making residents and non residents to line up. Paterson is pretty much a congested immigrant city and parking is wherever you can find one since the gates to the high school are locked up. In the last few weeks 700 ppl who lined up and made the cut were vaccinated a few days a week . I think he made a recent plea to Washington to ask for more doses. If you call Paterson town hall 973 321 1600 someone could maybe give more info regarding future vaccinations. Good luck to you.

Two questions:

Is it literally first come first served, or do you need to be 65+?

Is is anyone, or only those that can prove NJ residency?

I got my second dose of Moderna 10 hours ago.

The shot actually felt more painful this time during the vaccination, but very briefly.

No side effects again, yet anyway, other than very mild soreness at the injection site. It's nice to get this behind me, for now.

Part of the problem is weak logical skills on the part of the press and the public, as well as an apparent inability to tolerate vague, ambiguous and/or incomplete information. People want a definitive answer that will never change and they want it right now. But science doesn't work that way. Scientists are always searching for more and better information, and if that leads to revisions/reversals of prior conclusions, then that is as it should be.

So, for example, virologist A says "we don't know if the current vaccines will work against the South African variant." Immediately, the articles take on a negative tone -- "Oh no, the vaccine won't work! We're all going to die." NO, they said they don't know if it will work. That is NOT the same as saying they know it will not work. Maybe we will find out that it does work. And as another example, at one time they were uncertain whether fomite transmission was a major cause of infection, so everyone went at it with the scrubbing and disinfecting. Now we know that it is a minor source of transmission and the airborne route is a much greater threat. And people complain "those stupid scientists, they misled us." NO, they acted on the basis of information they had. When the information changed, their conclusions changed. I believe Emerson had something to say about "a foolish consistency".

Are you saying the Press should act with some logic? As opposed to maximizing the sensational? What are? Crazy?:D

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m lucky/grateful to be scheduled for the Moderna vax on 1/29 & 2/26. Now fingers crossed they don’t run out vaccine when I show up, I’m hearing that’s happening in many places.

Born2BRetd said: I worry about the elderly that live at home, aren't computer savvy and don't drive. I think they should be making home visits for this vulnerable population.

Yes, exactly! I have an aunt & uncle in another state. They don’t really “get” the internet—despite having a smart phone, my aunt still doesn’t quite understand the difference between a text and an email on the phone. 80 year old uncle was contacted by his oncologist that they had enough doses on-site so that my uncle could get the vaccine. But my aunt was on her own when they opened it up for the over-65s this past Monday. She spent all morning on the phone and on hold trying to call around, health dept, pharmacies, etc. Meanwhile I was online trying to sign her up and getting a busy signal when I called her! [emoji23] Luckily was able to reach her and get an appt made, but it is frustrating that the authorities are specifically targeting vaccines for the elderly population without considering that that same population isn’t as savvy with technology as the younger generations. She would never have been able to navigate the website on her own! [emoji35]

Last edited:
What was unexpected is for there to have been such significant mutations this quickly, when only a small fraction of people have been vaccinated, that they are already preparing to release an additional booster to provide better protection, as the vaccine has been shown to be less effective against the SA variant based on some testing, and it could be even worse in reality - they don't know yet. Not long ago, the experts were suggesting that people may not need to get vaccinated again for a year.

This is starting to look like an even longer ordeal. The original estimates for worldwide coverage with vaccine had been about 2024, IIRC. But that assumed the so called '1st world' countries would be done in 2021.

Time Between Covid Shots

Today DW and I got our first Covid vaccine shots. Pfizer.
Pfizer says to get the second shot 21 days later.

The clinic immediately scheduled us for the second shot 17 days from today. They acted like they were a bit concerned about the availability of staffing and the vaccine in the future for that second dose.

Going online, the CDC says that if you take the second dose up to 4 days early (17 days interval), that's considered "valid". But I couldn't find anything to support that "approval" anywhere. It looks like all of the Pfizer trials were based on the 21 day interval.

There's lots of discussion about making the interval longer, but I couldn't find any discussion about the possible effects of going shorter. Can someone give me some links to sites that discuss that issue?

If forced into the choice between 17 days and "maybe some day", I'll take the 17 days. But how hard should I try to get the full 21 days?

Thanks!

The shot actually felt more painful this time during the vaccination, but very briefly.

No side effects again, yet anyway, other than very mild soreness at the injection site. It's nice to get this behind me, for now.

I’m curious. After the requisite 2 week wait to give the vaccine full effect within you, do you plan to alter your behavior much? Have you been a hard core self isolationist? Will you now feel free to return to restaurant dining, other indoor gatherings, traveling on planes, visiting family you hadn’t been? Not talking about mask wearing. I’m sure you’ll continue as required with that. Just the actual activities.

I’m kinda wondering. After a year+ of this isolation, I’m guessing some particular personality types might find it difficult to return to their pre-pandemic normal activities even upon vaccination completion. Maybe not, I’m not certain. But some folks, including some on this board, seem to have enthusiastically embraced the social isolation habits. As for me, I plan to jump right back into normal (with mask as required).

I’m curious. After the requisite 2 week wait to give the vaccine full effect within you, do you plan to alter your behavior much? Have you been a hard core self isolationist? Will you now feel free to return to restaurant dining, other indoor gatherings, traveling on planes, visiting family you hadn’t been? Not talking about mask wearing. I’m sure you’ll continue as required with that. Just the actual activities.

I’m kinda wondering. After a year+ of this isolation, I’m guessing some particular personality types might find it difficult to return to their pre-pandemic normal activities even upon vaccination completion. Maybe not, I’m not certain. But some folks, including some on this board, seem to have enthusiastically embraced the social isolation habits. As for me, I plan to jump right back into normal (with mask as required).

For me I'm not planning on getting too crazy but do plan to get with my friends every now and then for a beer. My 2nd shot is scheduled for 2/12 so first of March I will get out a little more. I've been playing golf with buddies all along so not a whole lot changed for me anyway.

I've had 2 golf buddies die within the last week and will not attend services. I hate having to miss those but not being fully protected I don't think it would be smart to go. One is going to be a family only service but normally I'm sure they would have it open. It will be good to be able to go to things that you feel you need to attend.

My first Moderna shot and I felt the side effects for the next two days. Very sore right arm and feeling very tired were what I felt. For my second shot I will be ready.

I'm still working full time with no travel plans, so I won't be on any planes anytime soon. I'm the only one among close family who has gotten the vaccination, but one sister is about to get her first dose. She happens to live near me, so I'll probably get together with her several weeks down the road. I've mostly isolated from family except a couple times months ago when cases were quite low in my area, and it was just a few of us. In late summer, we had a larger group for an outdoor get-together. Since it's very cold out here this time of year and with me being the only one vaccinated, I don't see much changing as far as seeing most of the family. I haven't eaten in a restaurant since at least February of last year, and they just opened indoor dining here this week, so I'll probably go out to eat in the next couple weeks.

Today DW and I got our first Covid vaccine shots. Pfizer.
Pfizer says to get the second shot 21 days later.

The clinic immediately scheduled us for the second shot 17 days from today. They acted like they were a bit concerned about the availability of staffing and the vaccine in the future for that second dose.

Going online, the CDC says that if you take the second dose up to 4 days early (17 days interval), that's considered "valid". But I couldn't find anything to support that "approval" anywhere. It looks like all of the Pfizer trials were based on the 21 day interval.

There's lots of discussion about making the interval longer, but I couldn't find any discussion about the possible effects of going shorter. Can someone give me some links to sites that discuss that issue?

If forced into the choice between 17 days and "maybe some day", I'll take the 17 days. But how hard should I try to get the full 21 days?

Thanks!

As far as I can tell, the only reason for using 21 days is because that's the way it was tested. Since the CDC says 17 days is OK, I wouldn't worry about it.

So true, I remember when as a young one I was told to eat the fat on the meat and we drank only real milk with all the cream or fat. So many times we have been told something by science and take it to an extreme, like diets. We need to understand that we are not the designers and creators and have imperfect science, even as we improve our understanding is so many fantastic ways. Imagine that in 100 years the scientists will look back at the MRNA vaccine like we do on blood letting. Humility is needed as a people.

+1 +1 +1 +1 +1 Spot on!

Cheers!

Wife and I received our first vaccine (Moderna) on 1/19. Our second shot was scheduled that day for 2/16 at the same site. Two weeks after that we will still be wearing masks for the added insurance and to serve as an example for everyone else that are still waiting to follow CDC guidelines for the protection of others as well as themselves. I don't see how this is going to be inconvenient for us. It hasn't been so far.

Cheers!

Wife and I received our first vaccine (Moderna) on 1/19. Our second shot was scheduled that day for 2/16 at the same site. Two weeks after that we will still be wearing masks for the added insurance and to serve as an example for everyone else that are still waiting to follow CDC guidelines for the protection of others as well as themselves. I don't see how this is going to be inconvenient for us. It hasn't been so far.

Cheers!

The question wasn't about masks, it was will you loosen up your behavior such eating away from home, seeing people, etc.

And I'm am still really annoyed that our state hasn't figure out a way for a couple over 65 to signup together for vaccines, or should I say go into the lottery together.:facepalm:

Last edited:
Just got back from getting shot #1 and I can't say enough about how superbly well organized it was. Cooperative operation by the four local county health departments. My site was in a large local church that was beautifully set up for social distancing.

Drove in exactly five minutes before our appointment and drove out exactly 30 minutes later. An impressive effort, and everyone was very friendly.

We're lucky that our state includes 70 year olds in group 1b, because the neighboring state only includes 80 year olds.

Similar experience here with county health department. DW and I both got vaccinated and were done within 30 minutes, including 15 minutes of sitting around to observe any allergic reaction. We also got appointments for our second shots.

Anyone have the website for Walgreens vaccine signup.

NOT walgreens.com which just has links to all sorts of talk about how they will do the vaccine (but no actual signup).

Maybe they don't have it, but should just say "we dont' have any yet" .

Well, I received my first dose of the Moderna vaccine this afternoon at a mass clinic in our nearest town of significance (i.e. one with box stores lol.) No problems and we'll see if I have any side effects like I did with Shingrix (albeit minor.) Just before leaving the facility, I was able to sign up for the second shot four weeks hence. After I got home, I cancelled a second appointment I had made at a more distant location for next week. Yes, I had two appointments but made the more distant appointment before there was any info available on the closer one. In fact I only learned about the closer signup because a neighbor alerted me to it! It really is a crazy quilt system but maybe we'll learn a few things for next time.

If I have any noticeable side effects I'll post about them. Good luck to all those trying to get their first shot.

My state is asking people not to make multiple appointments. I understand both sides of that coin. People want to ensure they get the shot ASAP in a situation where availability is spotty and possibly chaotic, thus signing up at multiple locations. The state wants to roll the shots out efficiently and fairly, and being able to accurately predict demand across vaccinators is obviously helpful. It's an interesting but tough situation.

I was thinking a few weeks ago I would be willing to wait to make sure I could get the second shot on time before signing up to get the first one. Since I'm in priority group 4 (aka Everyone Else Not Otherwise Specified) and am looking at April/May timeframe, I don't think it will be an issue.

My state is asking people not to make multiple appointments. I understand both sides of that coin. People want to ensure they get the shot ASAP in a situation where availability is spotty and possibly chaotic, thus signing up at multiple locations. The state wants to roll the shots out efficiently and fairly, and being able to accurately predict demand across vaccinators is obviously helpful. It's an interesting but tough situation.

I was thinking a few weeks ago I would be willing to wait to make sure I could get the second shot on time before signing up to get the first one. Since I'm in priority group 4 (aka Everyone Else Not Otherwise Specified) and am looking at April/May timeframe, I don't think it will be an issue.
It's probably not a good thing to do but it saves me a total of 360 miles of driving for the two shots by getting the shots closer to home. Giving a weeks notice of cancellation will ensure that a worthy person will get the shot I would have received. As far as timing of the second shot, I seriously doubt that the exact timing is particularly critical. For Moderna, I'd be fine with a window of 3 to 6 weeks personally. As it is, they set me up with 4 weeks to the day but said I could show up anytime that day although I have an appointment "time" of 4:10 pm

In light of the current situation with supply constraints, I thought people might be interested in this article about how the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines work and the implications that has for timing of the second shot. In a nutshell, anytime between 19 and 42 days between shots gives the same efficacy.

https://theconversation.com/why-it-...ata-shows-on-delaying-the-booster-dose-153956

It also has cool illustrations.

In light of the current situation with supply constraints, I thought people might be interested in this article about how the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines work and the implications that has for timing of the second shot. In a nutshell, anytime between 19 and 42 days between shots gives the same efficacy.

https://theconversation.com/why-it-...ata-shows-on-delaying-the-booster-dose-153956

It also has cool illustrations.

Thanks Gumby, that is good info. I am suppose to get my second Moderna shot on 2/11 and I was wondering what would happen if there were a big snow storm or something that day and the vaccine had to be delayed. I have heard many times that you are not suppose to mix the 2 shots--if you get the Moderna first then your second shot should also be Moderna and same for Pfizer. I wonder why--it seems that the vaccines are almost identical, why couldn't they be interchanged for the second shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom