Covid Vaccine Distribution

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had my first Pfizer shot on Tuesday of this week.

The only side effects I had were a sore arm, which started at 10 pm that night and lasted about 18 hours, and I also slept for 11 hours straight on Tuesday night. I never do that, so I think it was "vaccination fatigue" which is listed as a possible side effect.

Opposite for me after my second Moderna shot on Tuesday. I woke up around 3 AM Wednesday morning, couldn't get back to sleep. I only slept maybe 3 hours. I felt fatigued on Wednesday and generally a little crappy, but I'm not sure how much of that was due to the vaccine vs. lack of sleep. I think it was a combination because I felt more fatigued than usual after nights of insufficient sleep. My temperature was normal. It's not that unusual for me to wake up way too early or have trouble getting to sleep, so I can't blame the vaccine for that. The only thing I experienced with the first dose is some mild pain in my arm near the injections site. The second dose is said to cause greater side effects.

Last edited:
What county Harlee? Can you share the contact #? Or PM me? Thanks.

I got my vaccine in Person County,NC an adjacent county to mine that is more rural and seems to have more vaccine available than mine. Early on they had a first come first serve clinic and I got in line and waited and made it in. I have helped several people find vaccines in my area. What I do--I follow all the health departments in my area on Facebook--that is where the seem to post in info on their vaccines. For example I see that Cape Fear Valley Health in Fayetteville is having a walk in vaccination clinic on 2/4-2/5 starting at 7 am--you would probably need to get in line by 5 am to have a chance.

I got my vaccine in Person County,NC an adjacent county to mine that is more rural and seems to have more vaccine available than mine. Early on they had a first come first serve clinic and I got in line and waited and made it in. I have helped several people find vaccines in my area. What I do--I follow all the health departments in my area on Facebook--that is where the seem to post in info on their vaccines. For example I see that Cape Fear Valley Health in Fayetteville is having a walk in vaccination clinic on 2/4-2/5 starting at 7 am--you would probably need to get in line by 5 am to have a chance.
Thanks Harlee. I'll pass this on.

One more question. What is the age threshold for people to be eligible in NC at this point? And could you provide the link to the State website that identified the Cape Fear Valley vaccine clinic next week?

Finally got an appointment for Sunday here in SW Washington. I have been checking all the possibilities within about 30 miles, on and off all day. Suddenly the Safeway pharmacy in a nearby small town popped and I signed up. Fingers crossed.

Got my first Pfizer vaccine shot this afternoon at the Lawrenceville Health Center in Gwinnett County, GA. They had their procedures down pat. In the door at 2:32 PM and led into the observation area at 2:48 PM. I had to spend 30 minutes in observation due to an allergy to penicillin. The huge parking lot looked to be about 20% full. A friend got his first shot there this morning at about 10:30 AM and said it was a bit busier but he was out the door on the way home within 30 minutes of arrival.

Have my appointment for round 2 on Feb 22 but they seemed to not have any vaccination cards so I received a record on an 8.5x11 paper. Apparently the card will be provided when we get our second dose.

I do feel soreness at the injection site which is very unusual for me. It's nothing terrible, just surprising.

One more question. What is the age threshold for people to be eligible in NC at this point? And could you provide the link to the State website that identified the Cape Fear Valley vaccine clinic next week?

Age threshold in NC is age 65. I cannot find a link to the Cape Fear Valley Health walk in clinic except on Facebook and I can't seem to link that. If you follow Cape Fear Valley Health on Facebook you will see it.

Got my first Moderna shot today (Fri), second shot already scheduled for late Feb. I went to a mass vaccine event run by Atrium, projected to vaccinate 20,000-30,000 Fri thru Sun. I could not be more impressed with how well organized they were, went thru like a breeze. And all the workers were friendly, proactively helpful and knowledgeable. Free parking and a free shot. Excellent!

Mon: Called in (long hold), gave info, prelim sceeening, appts made.
Thur: Day before they sent me an online screening, confirmed elibility, provided a QR code.
Fri: Day of parking organized, where to go clearly marked, temp screening, flashed QR code to send me to green section, then registration (30 seconds with QR code), then to nurses (one nurse gives shot while the other does paperwork/instructions), they stuck a tag on my jacket showing time of shot, on to observation area with spaced chairs and nurses walking around checking us/answering questions, after 15 minutes you’re free to leave!

Last edited:
Age threshold in NC is age 65. I cannot find a link to the Cape Fear Valley Health walk in clinic except on Facebook and I can't seem to link that. If you follow Cape Fear Valley Health on Facebook you will see it.
Thanks Harlee. What about your second shot. How will that work?

A local big vaccination clinic suffered a freezer failure after their daily clinic was over. 1300 doses had to be used by 5:30 AM. Hospitals and others organized to take some vaccine and spread the word All the vaccine was used and hundreds of late night hopefull people had to be sent away with no shot.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2021/01/29/seattle-hospitals-rush-out-vaccines-after-freezer-failure/

It’s not clear what caused the freezer failure Thursday night, but the UW Medical Center’s Northwest and Montlake campuses and Swedish Medical Center received more than 1,300 doses that needed to be used before they expired at 5:30 a.m. Friday, The Seattle Times reported.

When she received word about the freezer failure, she called several nurses, who in turn recruited pharmacists and other volunteers. A Seattle firefighter seemed to show up out of nowhere to help, and a hospital staffer’s boyfriend helped manage the queue.

For entertainment purposes Im going to summarize an exchange i read on NExtdoor in a group concerning local covid vaccine:

F: Where can I get a covid vaccine for my wife? We are both over 65 and she has lots of health probs
A: They are doing them and x and at y locations.
F: Why arent there any on this side of town?
A: thats just where they are located.
F: Well my wife cant stand in a line that long, she cant walk very far.
A: The one at Y location is drive through if you have a handicap placard.
F: Well my wife cant sit in the car very long

<The man's neighborhood and the venue in discussion are perhaps 5 miles apart. We are not talking about epic western journeys. And this is a driving not a bussing part of town. He also mentioned in a prior post about what eh saw driving back from the grocery store. So he is just being a curmudgeon IMO. If the wife cant ride 5 miles, stand in line, or sit in the car, I think shes prob safe from covid unless he specifically brings it in to her>

It occurs to me that you could bring a folding lawn chair if you fear a long line.

There's an Army base near where I live, the local paper stated that ~50% of soldiers are refusing the vaccine, the commanders are now working on 'educating' the troops on the need/benefits of the vaccine. Actual surprised that it's voluntary, the base was hit pretty hard by the recent covid upsurge.

It occurs to me that you could bring a folding lawn chair if you fear a long line.

I recommend this. We had some folks in line with canes, walkers. You might want a walker with a seat if you need a walker or cane. We stood in line outside for 2 hours.

I also saw someone drive up to handicap parking and talk to the nurses near the entrance. I’m sure they were accommodated.

For entertainment purposes Im going to summarize an exchange i read on NExtdoor in a group concerning local covid vaccine:

F: Where can I get a covid vaccine for my wife? We are both over 65 and she has lots of health probs
A: They are doing them and x and at y locations.
F: Why arent there any on this side of town?
A: thats just where they are located.
F: Well my wife cant stand in a line that long, she cant walk very far.
A: The one at Y location is drive through if you have a handicap placard.
F: Well my wife cant sit in the car very long

I bet this guy also wants a new road to use to get the vaccination site, downhill both ways.

Got a message from my doctor yesterday that I could schedule vaccination now at the hospital he's affiliated with. I was happy to reply that I already had it covered!

There's an Army base near where I live, the local paper stated that ~50% of soldiers are refusing the vaccine, the commanders are now working on 'educating' the troops on the need/benefits of the vaccine. Actual surprised that it's voluntary, the base was hit pretty hard by the recent covid upsurge.

If this is factual the military has certainly changed as back in the 70's I don't recall being given a choice - other than which arm.

That's surprising. When I was in the Navy, they just vaccinated us. "No" was not an option.

What I read somewhere is that it will be voluntary until the FDA emergency authorization becomes an official one.

Got an email from the county health dept saying that I could schedule an appt for the vaccine. (I expressed interest in a health dept survey a few weeks ago). Registered online through a link in the email. I'm up for Feb 3rd at 11:40 am.

Amazing how easy it was to register.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom