Decontamination

Status
Not open for further replies.

Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I hope this is alright to post. If not feel free to delete.

https://corporate.dukehealth.org/ne...ination-n95-masks-help-relieve-shortages?h=nl

Duke University has been using this technique for more than 10 years to decontaminate equipment and has been testing it out for face masks. All hospitals, colleges and universities with science labs have rooms with emergency exhaust fans. There are also a number of manufactures that make atomizers at least down to 20 microns. (Foggers are even used by pest control for termite extermination in tented houses.) If that is not small enough for the hydrogen peroxide then they could redesign for smaller particle size since Duke University has a functioning model.

Masks can be decontaminated at least 30 times before the elastic starts to deteriorate. Otherwise they have been successful for 50+ times.

Looks very promising and even affordable with some minor adaption for home use.

Cheers!

For home use, I'm just using rotation of masks and gloves, since I only use them every few days.
I just set aside a mask, and blue gloves and leave them untouched for about a week. Usually the gloves have had bleach on them from cleaning groceries which is an extra safety bonus.

I dont see why putting a mask in a 180-200F oven for 20 minutes wouldn't provide suitable decontamination. The only mask component that might be degraded is probably the elastic material. I did an experiment in which I placed an ordinary rubber band in a 200F oven for more than an hour. When I removed it, it appeared to be unaffected in any way.

You should not need to go that hot. 160F for 30 minutes is what I heard. I use it on the mail that "needs" immediate attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom