Another mask disinfection & reuse study

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bongleur

Full time employment: Posting here.
A while back someone posted a study that showed:
1) alcohol ruins a mask because it removes the electrostatic charge coating.
2) water ruins a mask because it makes it much much harder to breath thru.
3) dry heat works:

https://stanfordmedicine.app.box.com/v/covid19-PPE-1-1

Here is a newer study using real virus. It says dry heat at 70 deg C for one hour is required, but only works twice, then the mask is no good.

Hydrogen peroxide vapor at ~1000ppm worked three times before the mask was degraded. They used a specialized incubator designed for this.

UV light also works up to 3 times.

Note they only tested wearing it for 2 hours, not a long shift.

See lines 133 and table at line 308

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.11.20062018v1
Assessment of N95 respirator decontamination and re-use for SARS-CoV-2
Robert Fischer et al
unreview preprint published 15APR20

Explanatory article:
https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/928877

Hmm. How about ozone generation? A hotel en route to Oregon says they let rooms sit vacant 3 days, then run an ozone generator and clean. Color me a bit nervous.

I have an N95 mask. I am not using it in a health care setting, so I simply do not worry about re-use nor disinfecting. It was sitting in a plastic bin for months before I started using it and now it sits in my car in the garage for about 2 weeks before I use it again.

For my mask to become contaminated with coronavirus particles, an infected person would have to cough on me in the grocery store. I shop for groceries once every 2 to 3 weeks.

I have an N95 mask. I am not using it in a health care setting, so I simply do not worry about re-use nor disinfecting. It was sitting in a plastic bin for months before I started using it and now it sits in my car in the garage for about 2 weeks before I use it again.

For my mask to become contaminated with coronavirus particles, an infected person would have to cough on me in the grocery store. I shop for groceries once every 2 to 3 weeks.
Same here. This is essentially what everyone wearing a mask in public is doing. I suppose, if you wanted to be very cautious, you could keep a set of several masks and recycle through them hoping the virus would die on the surface over the course of a few days. I doubt that extra step would make much difference.

About the same here. I keep my N95 mask in my truck and wear it in the grocery or home improvement stores. I don’t go to stores more frequently than once every 4 days or so, so I let my mask disinfect itself.

I have one N95 mask I bought years ago for a sanding project. I had no idea at the time that N95 was better than the ordinary masks, it just looked sturdier.

After use at a store I put it into a small cardboard box (CV19 doesn't seem to live long on cardboard) and let it sit for at least 3 days. I thought about hanging it out in the bright sunshine, but I was told that might degrade the rubber strap that holds it to my face.

Yep, mask stays in vehicle, exposed to days of full sunlight between uses...I figure that's enough UV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom