Do you wear a mask in stores?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went shopping early this morning and was surprised to see about 30% of the folks were
wearing a mask or bandana on the face. I was using a p95 mask I bought a couple years
ago which was very comfortable and easy to breath with the valve on the front. None of the
employees were wearing a mask.

Saw my very first mask out walking today. I think the fact that the CDC is now hinting that masks make some sense has finally gotten people to get over potential mask shaming.

My DW is on her sewing machine right now, creating her first mask using a good you-tube template. I will test drive one around the house, then wear it along with a pair of safety glasses to go shopping tomorrow. It can't hurt.

Does it count if I put a bag over my head?

There are no masks to be bought anywhere in my area.

Be sure to wear some glasses under the bag. Else, the virus can still get to you through the holes you poke in the bag in order to see.

PS. How 'bout wearing glasses outside the paper bag? Can that be done?

Well, maybe not as the glasses must rest on your nose, and that pushes the bag up against your face, making it difficult to breathe.

Something for people to experiment with. :)

Last edited:

Attachments

• bagonhead.JPG
    bagonhead.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 155
Went to the bank and post office today and test drove my N95, gloves (used previously, and not taking my distance sunglasses off. Wasn't sure they'd let me into the bank (I broke 6 $100bills I got at Costco for smaller bills to tip delivery ppl) but they did.

I saw 4 others wearing masks. First time I've seen anyone wearing them in my area. The first one was the guy in front of me at the bank! I suspect I'll see a lot more at the grocery store when I replenish fresh veggies later this week.

My testing at home of my ability to ignore scratching those invariable itches worked :dance:.

I'm thinking of wearing my swim goggles as well as my mask for my next grocery shopping trip. Safety goggles are a bit bulky, plus there's a gap. Swim goggles are air-tight, and they look a bit more stylish to boot. I can't wear my progressive glasses with them though, so I won't be able to see that well, but I should still be able to read price tag and such.

I wear glasses, which helps. Training myself not to touch them. I guess the particles could float in from the side. I'm becoming concerned about the aerosol particles. They don't fall to the ground quickly. I understand can float in the air for many hours.

I can't find the source at the moment, but I was reading a paper about testing the ability of the virus to remain in the air. In a mist under sealed lab conditions the particles remained in the air for about 3 hours. But the researcher said that in real life situations it would be unlikely to remain in the air for more than half an hour. Not that that's all that reassuring.

However, in the past month I've been out to stores maybe 4 times, sometimes with a significant number of people around. Not once have I heard anybody cough or sneeze, which is amazing since pre-pandemic people were always hacking and coughing. I don't know whether they are holding it in or if the smokers and other respiratory compromised people are staying home or what, but I think that's a positive change. I'm not too worried about people's regular breathing or even talking. It's the explosive expulsions I worry about.

Having said that, when I go to Lowes I take the less traveled aisles, and wait for people to leave the aisle I want to go into. And I wear my mask and gloves.

Today I went grocery shopping. I guess I’m a victim of peer pressure. I’ve wanted to wear a mask, but it seemed like no one else was, so I didn’t. Today there were enough people wearing masks and gloves that I’ll be wearing mine next time. I probably shouldn’t have succumbed to the “I’d look silly” feeling, but I’m done with that. I should have realized a long time ago that I look silly with or without a mask on. I need to find an option for some glasses. Maybe some big reading glasses, since I need them anyway. Not sure I’m ready for the swim goggles, but I agree that they’d be the best given that if they seal out water, they must be air tight. I think that’s a bit much though. We’ll see.

Still no, I have one in a bag though. My wife insists. She is more scared than me. I'll wait until I see people coughing. Like that will make any difference.

Last edited:
I can't find the source at the moment, but I was reading a paper about testing the ability of the virus to remain in the air. In a mist under sealed lab conditions the particles remained in the air for about 3 hours. But the researcher said that in real life situations it would be unlikely to remain in the air for more than half an hour. Not that that's all that reassuring.

However, in the past month I've been out to stores maybe 4 times, sometimes with a significant number of people around. Not once have I heard anybody cough or sneeze, which is amazing since pre-pandemic people were always hacking and coughing. I don't know whether they are holding it in or if the smokers and other respiratory compromised people are staying home or what, but I think that's a positive change. I'm not too worried about people's regular breathing or even talking. It's the explosive expulsions I worry about.

Having said that, when I go to Lowes I take the less traveled aisles, and wait for people to leave the aisle I want to go into. And I wear my mask and gloves.

I am more worried about the virus in the air after reading the same thing you did, plus the detailed choir article I read. I may not have heard people coughing/sneezing, etc, but I wasn't in the store 30 minutes before. Also, I've been seeing more and more people walking and talking on their cell phones in the stores, probably talking to their spouses so they get everything they need in one shot, but that also worries me.

Still no, I have one in a bag though. My wife insists. She is more scared than me. I'll wait until I see people coughing. Like that will make any difference.

It is not just trying to protect you anymore. You could be one of those asymptomatic person and infect others if you do not wear one.

I need to find an option for some glasses. Maybe some big reading glasses, since I need them anyway. Not sure I’m ready for the swim goggles, but I agree that they’d be the best given that if they seal out water, they must be air tight. I think that’s a bit much though. We’ll see.
I normally wear prescription glasses, but they can only shield me from droplets that are coming straight at me. I think some of the swim goggles look fashionable enough. The only issue is I won't be able to wear my prescription glasses, so I won't be able to see as well, and the goggles usually have a little UV tint, so the lenses are a little dark for indoor use. I'd rather wear the goggles with some tint instead of the clear kind as the tinted pair with a mask would make me totally incognito. :LOL:
facemask-and-goggles.jpg

BBZgIPW.jpeg

Even though I wore a mask and gloves everyday during my w*rking life, I like many others have felt too self-conscious to be seen wearing a mask in the grocery stores. But knowing what I know about infection control, I have always felt that everyone should be wearing a mask when out in public, if we are to slow the spread of covid-19. Social distancing alone does not seem to be enough. Just the act of speaking (or singing in a choir) has been shown to aerosolize droplets of saliva. So I have decided to get over my fear of mask-shaming and start wearing a mask in grocery stores.

Last edited:
I just ordered the cutest swim goggles which will arrive between April 4-11. I will really look like a dork with my N95, swim goggles and gloves :LOL:. Better look like a dork than the alternative as I'm in a high risk group...age, hypertension and asthma. Although all under control and relatively mild, not a good combo. At least I'm not overweight :dance:.

I just ordered the cutest swim goggles which will arrive between April 4-11. I will really look like a dork with my N95, swim goggles and gloves :LOL:. Better look like a dork than the alternative as I'm in a high risk group...age, hypertension and asthma. Although all under control and relatively mild, not a good combo. At least I'm not overweight :dance:.

I would seriously consider asking for help. Asthma is something that would concern me the most. Isn’t there anyone you know that can shop for you?

I would seriously consider asking for help. Asthma is something that would concern me the most. Isn’t there anyone you know that can shop for you?

Yes, I've had offers to shop for me and you're correct, I should take them up on it. Actually, I can go for several weeks w/o veggies as I have a supply of frozen and canned although I prefer fresh. A local 'farmers market' type produce store home delivers fruit boxes and I'm seriously considering those despite the expense.

We also have a small local grocer and I'm going to swing by tomorrow during the dinner hour and a bit later to see what the parking lot looks like. If it's as empty as I suspect it will be, I would feel very comfortable picking up the few things I would need for the coming 10-14 days. Spinach and arugulla lasts much longer than the spring mix! I am definitely ordering non-perishables to be home delivered.

I’ve been reading some research articles from the 2009 H1N1 epidemic. One journal article studied exposure pathways. One pathway is contact exposure where you touch your eyes/nose/mouth with your contaminated hands. The other is breathing in small aerosol droplets. Big droplets fall to the ground quickly. The larger droplets that linger in the air will deposit in your nose and mouth. The smallest droplets will go deep into your lungs.

Some of you have expressed concern about viruses entering through your eyes and some have suggested using glasses/goggles. The journal article estimated that 50-75% of the virus transfer to us was through contact exposure. However the big unknown was how many virus particles entering through the eye lead to infection. Breathing viruses deep into your lungs was considered to be a very efficient way to develop an infection. Through your eyes much less so. Passive eye exposure through the air is much less exposure than touching your eyes. Unless someone literally coughs or sneezes into your face I wouldn’t worry about getting infection through your eyes. It is probably the least efficient pathway.

Another journal article made me appreciate that we emit aerosol particles by simply talking. The louder you talk the more aerosols you emit. Laughing, singing, and shouting all emit aerosols at a substantial rate. This makes contamination plausible when in close vicinity to people laughing at a social gathering, singing in church, and shouting at a sports event. The risk is an indoor risk where the buildup of aerosols are contained in the room, taxi, train car. Outdoors with wind currents aerosols are dispersed and diluted into an essentially infinite reservoir of air.

And, as many have mentioned, you have to assume you are asymptotic infected. So wear a mask. There is a good chance you are not infected but you just don’t know.

The research is summarized in this great article about the mechanics of masks.

https://medium.com/@Cancerwarrior/c...here-is-new-scientific-rationale-280e08ceee71

Last edited:
Passive eye exposure through the air is much less exposure than touching your eyes. Unless someone literally coughs or sneezes into your face I wouldn’t worry about getting infection through your eyes. It is probably the least efficient pathway.

I'm kind of going in that direction too, for now. I could wear my swim goggles, but that might put me at risk for a trip and fall -- and end up in a hospital. Don't want to be there now!

I'm going to stick with my safety glasses. They may be open on the side, but they will stop me from touching my eyes. Eye rubbing right now is very natural due to the incredible pollen load out there.

DW and I are actually going one step further. We're not going to the store at all if we can avoid it. We ordered groceries a week ago (earliest slot possible) and picked them up last night. They just put them in the trunk and stayed away from us. We are going to continue to do this. The less contact, the better. Hopefully we can continue this way during this crisis.

I think now many Americans are convinced wearing masks is better than not wearing one. So, where do you buy them if you don't have any?

From CNN:

"Most White House coronavirus task force members support Americans wearing masks in public
From CNN's Kevin Liptak

Most members of President Trump’s coronavirus task force have come to agree that Americans should begin wearing face coverings in public and could issue formal guidance soon, people familiar with the matter said.

Trump signaled he was open to the idea during Tuesday’s briefing and members of the task force are working to draft recommendations on how to fashion the coverings to prevent spread of the virus.

Previously, some members of the task force — including Dr. Deborah Birx — cautioned in meetings against recommending Americans wear masks because of a fear it could lull them into a false sense of protection and prevent them from socially distancing.

But new insights into asymptomatic spread of the virus have led to a reconsideration of the guidance.

Among the issues discussed by the task force and the CDC have been how to teach Americans to wear masks and how to prevent a rush on medical-grade equipment still in short supply for hospitals.

There have also been discussions of the cultural shift that recommending masks would represent, since Americans — unlike citizens of some Asian countries — are not accustomed to wearing masks in public.

There have also been discussions of whether or not to call the recommended face coverings “masks.” Some have suggesting referring to them simply as “face coverings” or “courtesy masks” to distinguish them from the medical masks needed by professionals."

I think now many Americans are convinced wearing masks is better than not wearing one. So, where do you buy them if you don't have any?

There are dozens of YouTube videos about how to make these. It’s a bit of a pain to find someone with a sewing machine but I would look toward your neighbors and local community. The masks you make will not be depriving the medical community of medical grade masks. Get several cloth masks of the design of your choice and wash them frequently.

You probably can’t buy them right now. Phone a friend. Woodworkers tend to keep masks around, even if it is just a dust mask. Get something fabric and fashion a mask. No one is going to judge you on style. There are instructions on the internet if you sew, that’s a way to get one.

I suspect that there is a full on stampede to make masks right now. It will take time, but I think everyone realizes that the population will need masks and are ramping up to make them. Of course we need to meet the needs of the front line first but they’ll get here. I’ve also see stories about companies making face shields. Those might be the next thing the general public wears, but even with those, the front line people still seem to wear eye glasses under the shield.

Many members of DW's quilting club are making masks using whatever fabric they have on hand. I've seen some very colorful ones lately, so it's a whole new fashion thing!

Many members of DW's quilting club are making masks using whatever fabric they have on hand. I've seen some very colorful ones lately, so it's a whole new fashion thing!

Of course they can’t make an N95, but I’d still try to find some very tight woven fabric. I’ve also heard of people adding material from an air filter (from a furnace) or a vacuum bag that is HEPA material.

We got take out for the first time yesterday. I got a salad. New question:
The restaurant workers wore gloves but no masks. They sneeze on my salad. I realize that's different than cooked food. If I ingest the virus, will my digestive juices kill it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom